• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will CBG Cover Controversial Issues?

184 posts in this topic

I guarantee you the 99% figure is an exaggeration.

I'll tell you what. I'll print up a poll and ask the guy at the LCS to leave it on his counter for a week. There will be three questions on the poll.

1. Have you ever seen a CGC comic in person?

2. Have you ever touched a CGC comic?

3. Have you ever bought or sold a CGC comic?

I'm willing to concede that my 99% is a very slight exaggeration. At the same time I'm willing to make a cash wager the poll will show that 95% have never bought or sold a CGC comic . I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is when it comes to knowing the buyers in the market area I've lived and collected in for 25 years.

While I would be interested to see how a pole turns out, I do have to bring up the fact that you are changing your original statement here a bit. You originally said 99% had never seen a CGC book in person, not whether they had bought or sold a CGC book.

I'm all for taking an actual survey though. Hopefully we can get several board members in different states to participate. I think the toughest part will be getting the LCS owners to participate, especially if they are part of the anti-CGC crowd. They most likely won't want to make their customers any more aware of CGC than they may already be.

While I would be interested to see how a pole turns out, I do have to bring up the fact that you are changing your original statement here a bit.

I have conceded that point already. It agree that my original statement was a slight exaggeration.

I'll tell you what. I'll print up a poll and ask the guy at the LCS to leave it on his counter for a week. There will be three questions on the poll.

I'm willing to concede that my 99% is a very slight exaggeration. At the same time I'm willing to make a cash wager the poll will show that 95% have never bought or sold a CGC comic. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is when it comes to knowing the buyers in the market area I've lived and collected in for 25 years.

You guys don't have the internet or eBay in NM?

looks like the case is re-closed over on the CBG site... Maggie has sung and that all she wrote. Makes perfect sense from their point of view, I guess, but pretty useless overall. Looks like we ARE just an elitist bunch over here....

No I don't see it that way at all...

The fact CBG needs to do better in their coverage of issues has been made. As a publication they've made, quite clearly, their problems with reporting pertinent, important news stories known...

I may not like the answer given but their answer is better than thinking they are just ignorant of issues affecting the hobby...

The thread has shed light on the internal process evident at CBG and at very least put them on notice that their LACK of coverage is noticed. And as a publication noted for their comics coverage, they are on notice for that lack of telling the whole story in regards to whats going on in this hobby...

Jim

I will admit that you are more forgiving of CBG on this issue than I am. And that I am far more disappointed with their attitude than you are. I juts dont see them as having been more than politely listening to the complaints, and methodically and numbly retiterating their age-old reasons/excuses for their paralysis on issues like this. I dont see any impetus for them to change a bit from the exchange you had with them,

my take on their comments is I read a sense of satisfaction that they "answered the charges" and defused the issue ... and can proceed exactly as they have been doing: that absent hard evidence or a lawsuit they can reprint a press release of someday, there absolutely NO CHANCE of them hiring or assigning any kind of "investigative reporting" on this or ANY issue ever! They will NEVER be sufficiently staffed such that a body is left over with the free time to research a case like this. And without hard reporting and facts, their adherence to "journalistic integrity" forbids the publishing of anything less thorough. Theyve constructed a perfect Catch 22 situation for themselves in which they need NOT do anything that they CANNOT easily do...and refuse vigorously to be held accountable for failing to do so.

Why don't you just accept the fact that CBG is a trade rag and be done with it? It's never going to be a source of hard-hitting exposes, or even negative news. Why don't you get on the Gemstone peoples' case over the Scoop's failure to report this stuff too?

Why don't you just accept the fact that CBG is a trade rag and be done with it? It's never going to be a source of hard-hitting exposes, or even negative news. Why don't you get on the Gemstone peoples' case over the Scoop's failure to report this stuff too?

Actually we should contact Scoop. The type of short articles they produce for news purposes would fit perfectly with notification about CGC's acceptance for review of Ewert's books and the forthcoming litigation.

For what it's worth, I added my 2 cents to the thread over on CBG.

I think it is very disturbing that they don't even have anyone on their staff qualified to write about any of this stuff or anyone even investigating or following the biggest scandals in the hobby right now, BUT HEY: "If we got someone in that chair, yeah, this is definitely on the list." On the list, eh? Pathetic. yeahok.gif

CBG has proven just how unbelievably out of touch they are with what is going on in the current market and is more concerned about a monthly price guide that no one pays any attention to anyway.

Actually we should contact Scoop. The type of short articles they produce for news purposes would fit perfectly with notification about CGC's acceptance for review of Ewert's books and the forthcoming litigation.

Mark, do you read the same Scoop that I do? There is no negative news in that publication except announcing deaths. I will bring some real Cubans for you to SD if you get them to publish any such item.

I will bring some real Cubans for you to SD if you get them to publish any such item.

And how will you get them through Customs... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifsmirk.gif

Jim

What makes you think the labels will indicate they're Cuban? wink.gif

Anyways, I think my chances of having to pay off on this particular bet would be similar to my chances of winning Powerball.

I guess this is our answer from CBG???

Subject: Has anyone ever done any research on whether or not a majority of comics buyers give a rodent's behind about slabbing issues?

Author

Tony Isabella

Posted: 3/3/2006 5:16:15 AM

Yes, I know it's important to some buyers and speculators and professional graders. My own experience is that our readers care a heck of a lot more about the actual comic books and comic book creators.

Tony Isabella

LINK: http://www.cbgxtra.com/default.aspx?tabid=42&view=topic&forumid=33&postid=9019

yeahok.gifyeahok.gif

My own experience is that our readers care a heck of a lot more about the actual comic books and comic book creators.

He's right - CBG never was the publication that dealt much with the back issue (gold/silver/bronze) market. CBM and the various Overstreet publications (OS monthly, FAN) were more geared towards that. CBG historically dealt with new releases, talked about movies, talked about the stories/creators, etc.,. The best part of the mag was the For Sale ads, but that was in the pre-ebay/internet days. Once ebay ramped up, CBG's usefulness for acquiring back issues diminished significantly, as did the ads for older back issues.

As others mentioned, once they shifted to the new format and the price guide, I dropped my subscription...not sure what the difference is between Wizard and CBG these days anyway? confused-smiley-013.gif

From reading that thread, it sounds to me like there will be an article on the Ewert situation once something happens on the legal front.

Yes, I know it's important to some buyers and speculators and professional graders. My own experience is that our readers care a heck of a lot more about the actual comic books and comic book creators.

Tony Isabella

I had a few run ins with Isabella on the SA/GA listserv about 5 years ago. He's out of touch and is the type of person who hasn't re-examined his views since the 60s. So, I wouldn't expect him to engage in any sort of meaningful and earnest exchange. His questions are loaded and his mind is made up.

Given his behavior on that listgroup, my estimation of him diminished exponentially.

I guess this is our answer from CBG???

Subject: Has anyone ever done any research on whether or not a majority of comics buyers give a rodent's behind about slabbing issues?

Author

Tony Isabella

Posted: 3/3/2006 5:16:15 AM

Tony Isabella

LINK: http://www.cbgxtra.com/default.aspx?tabid=42&view=topic&forumid=33&postid=9019

yeahok.gifyeahok.gif

He's also a real wiseguy about this topic on this thread too:

http://www.cbgxtra.com/default.aspx?tabid=42&view=topic&forumid=28&postid=8985

Tony Isabella

I had a few run ins with Isabella on the SA/GA listserv about 5 years ago. He's out of touch and is the type of person who hasn't re-examined his views since the 60s. So, I wouldn't expect him to engage in any sort of meaningful and earnest exchange. His questions are loaded and his mind is made up.

Given his behavior on that listgroup, my estimation of him diminished exponentially.

Don Rosa was adamantly anti-CGC too. Until it became time to sell his books, of course.

He's also a real wiseguy about this topic on this thread too:

http://www.cbgxtra.com/default.aspx?tabid=42&view=topic&forumid=28&postid=8985

It's good to see he's still the same arrogant, condescending Tony I recall from the SA/GA listgroup.

In his first post he writes:

My own experience is that our readers care a heck of a lot more about the actual comic books and comic book creators.

In his next post he backpedals and spins:

I'm not saying those issues aren't important to some CBG readers. They obviously are.

I'm just not one of them.

So he goes from our readers aren't interested to I'm not interested. At least in the second post he's being more honest.

But, no, I don't care if somebody trims comics or restores them or has them graded over and over again in search of a better grade or any of these other issues.

Sadly, this speaks for itself. You can bet that if a crooked dealer ever scammed a few bucks out of Isabella's pudgy fingers, he'd be screaming from the mountaintops.

I'm willing to concede that my 99% is a very slight exaggeration. At the same time I'm willing to make a cash wager the poll will show that 95% have never bought or sold a CGC comic. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is when it comes to knowing the buyers in the market area I've lived and collected in for 25 years.

You guys don't have the internet or eBay in NM?

Oh, good one, you got me there. I'm really busted now. thumbsup2.gif

I'm amazed that so many of you really have no clue that a huge portion of comic book collectors go to the LCS one day a week and only buy new comics and maybe the odd back issue from the $1 box.

I hate to bring reality into this discussion, but the survey got posted at the LCS yesterday and I'm leaving it there for a week. I'll post the resaults next Thursday.

Tony Isabella

Don Rosa was adamantly anti-CGC too. Until it became time to sell his books, of course.

Using CGC wasn't Don Rosa's decision, he left that to Steve Wyatt. Steve Wyatt chose to use CGC to sell some of the books.

That still doesn't give Rosa "deniability".
I'm not saying Don isn't aware his books are being slabbed in order to be sold. The insinuation was that Rosa was being a hypocrite about not liking slabbed books. That isn't the case.