• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are: House of Horror / Love and Kisses???????????

2 posts in this topic

I was doing some more "groups" research and decided to tackle the Allen Hardy group of imprints and titles. From the OPG and Gerber Guides I was able to gather the following information:

Imprints

--------

Allen Hardy Associates

Artful Publications (either the first imprint or Hardy bought up that company and/or titles)

Comic Media

Harwell

Mystery Publishing Co.

Titles

----------

3-D Funny Movies

All True Romance

Confessions of Love

Danger

Dear Lonely Heart

Dear Lonely Hearts

Death Valley

Dynamite

Honeymoon Romance

Horrific

Noodnik

Terrific

War Fury

Weird Terror

So the next step was to check the Kefauver report to see what it said about Hardy and I gleaned the following data:

Section: COMIC BOOK PUBLISHERS AND COMIC BOOK TITLES, SPRING 1954

Allen Hardy Associates, 500 Fifth Avenue, New York, N.Y. (Allen Hardy):

Danger, Death Valley, Dynamite, House of Horror, Love and Kisses, Weird Terror

Mystery Publishing Co., Inc. 500 Fifth Avenue, New York, N.Y. (Allen Hardy):

All True Romance, Dear Lonely Hearts, Horrific, Noodnik

Section: ORGANIZATION OF THE COMIC BOOK INDUSTRY IN THE UNITED STATES ACCORDING TO DISTRIBUTOR, COMIC GROUP, AND PUBLISHER, IN THE SPRING OF 1954

Allen Hardy, 500 Fifth Avenue, New York, N.Y. Owners: Philip Birch, Jerry Feldman, Allen Hardy, Harry Lutz. Co-owner of Mystery Publishing Co., Inc.: Samuel J. Campbell

Publisher: Number of titles

Allen Hardy Associates................................ 6

Mystery Publishing Co., Inc. ......................... 4

Checking against the list of titles pulled from the OPG and Gerber I noticed that two were missing. House of Horror and Love and Kisses do not show up in the OPG or in Gerber as Pre-Code/Golden Age books (for any publisher!). Now the comics mentioned in the Kefauver report were sampled from what was on the racks in the Spring of 1954. So what exactly are these two titles?? Are they magazines that got accidently lumped in with the survey of available comics?