• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beautiful FF#1 CGC 8.0 SIGNED (?) BY JACK KIRBY Offered By EsquireComics

38 posts in this topic

No, those stains are certainly on that book. Wonder who the buyer got it from??????

Activision. The video game company. They gave it away as a Grand prize in some contest.

I didn't mean that, where did Activision get it I meant. I didn't really expect an answer but I gotcha smile.gif

I''m 99% sure I know this book. It used to sit in a old label 7.5 slab and was offered for sale by Bob Storms at least a year ago. Mark, if you want to know more about the particular copy, BlazingBob might be able to help you out.

The "funk" along the spine turned me off to it then too.... frown.gif

It's the ol Activision grade bump. 27_laughing.gif

This will be interesting if it is indeed the same book.

That is the dirtiest/stained 8.0 I ever saw frown.gif

Mark is being polite, but with all respect, let's not hate on each others' books like this. It's the Marketplace forum, and we'll all trying to make a sale here. Right?

flowerred.gif

No, those stains are certainly on that book. Wonder who the buyer got it from??????

Activision. The video game company. They gave it away as a Grand prize in some contest.

I didn't mean that, where did Activision get it I meant. I didn't really expect an answer but I gotcha smile.gif

I''m 99% sure I know this book. It used to sit in a old label 7.5 slab and was offered for sale by Bob Storms at least a year ago. Mark, if you want to know more about the particular copy, BlazingBob might be able to help you out.

I will definitely check into this.

Mark is being polite, but with all respect, let's not hate on each others' books like this. It's the Marketplace forum, and we'll all trying to make a sale here. Right?

flowerred.gif

Thank you! flowerred.gif

It looks like light stains and foxing on the back cover, but structurally, the book looks like a 9.4 otherwise. Gorgeous book!

Mark, on the Kirby signature issue -- the reason why the book is in a blue label even though it doesn't have a verified signature is because the signature is not on the cover. CGC won't give a unverified, signed book a green label unless the signature is on the cover. But the notation on the blue label does not mean that CGC has given any kind of opinion on whether the signature is genuine or not.

That said, I have a hard time believing anyone would forge Jack Kirby's signature on a book of this quality. I'm sure it's the real thing.

Sweet book. cloud9.gif

Oh, sorry. foreheadslap.gif Here I was thinking you were dumb for not reading what I wrote, poke2.gif, but it is I who has egg on my face for doubting you. boo.gif

I don't know where Activision got it from. I tried to look around on the web but found no reference.

Anyone else know?

Mark, I don't know if this is the same book but Alex Miller from vigilante comics was offering a very nice cgc graded 8.0 ff1 about 10-11 months ago. I spoke to him about it and he told me at the time that some company (maybe activision) had paid him some money to as an option to hold the book until a certain date and they wanted it for some type of promotion or contest but I can't recall the details. I don't recall seeing any stains on that book but I remember that it had a remarkable structure to it. So if it is the same book then I would guess the stains were a result of water damages that occurred while the book was already in the case. You might want to check with Alex. His ebayid is vigilantecomics.

-Peter

The "funk" along the spine turned me off to it then too.... frown.gif

I have spoken to Bob, who was very kind in assisting me with info, and he does believe this 8.0 is the same book as his 7.5. He was the one who resubmitted it to CGC. I am waiting to hear from the person he sold it to, and confirm the sale to Activision but in light of the fact of the Kirby signature, no doubt it is the same book. In the vein of full disclosure, this will be noted on my site.

Bob also noted that having seen many Kirby signatures, he believes it to be authentic.

Oh, sorry. foreheadslap.gif Here I was thinking you were dumb for not reading what I wrote, poke2.gif, but it is I who has egg on my face for doubting you. boo.gif

I don't know where Activision got it from. I tried to look around on the web but found no reference.

Anyone else know?

Mark, I don't know if this is the same book but Alex Miller from vigilante comics was offering a very nice cgc graded 8.0 ff1 about 10-11 months ago. I spoke to him about it and he told me at the time that some company (maybe activision) had paid him some money to as an option to hold the book until a certain date and they wanted it for some type of promotion or contest but I can't recall the details. I don't recall seeing any stains on that book but I remember that it had a remarkable structure to it. So if it is the same book then I would guess the stains were a result of water damages that occurred while the book was already in the case. You might want to check with Alex. His ebayid is vigilantecomics.

-Peter

I have e-mailed him, but have not yet heard back from him. If anyone knows him and can reach out to him with an inquiry, please do.

Mark, i spoke to Alex Miller about this book last year when he sold it....we talk from time to time and the facts are true....it was sold to the company as a promotion for the "then new" FF movie coming up....still is a decent 8.0 as i have seen 8.5 books with worse foxing....

Can't remember, but it would have been FMV...around the $20,000 range, maybe a bit more....I seem to remember him getting good money for it.

Post edited due to "flashback"....is it Monday yet?

I've spoke to the last two individual owners (not including Activision) and confirmed the history. As a result, and based on my pledge to the Network of Disclosure, I've edited the info on my website to state the following:

One of the holy grails of the Silver Age, and predominantly responsible for the revival of Marvel Comics and superheros, this beauty is ranked third amongst Silver Age titles by Overstreet. Certainly doesn't hurt that a major motion picture was released last year with sequels to follow!

Prices vary widely on this book. It is very uncommon, perhaps one can say scarce, in high grade and it is not often to see one on the market. During 2004-2005, several issues sold ranging from $19,000 to $25,000 (including this book which garnered $20,000 more than a year ago). An identically graded copy currently on Comiclink is seeking nearly $26,000. A 9.4 copy sold for over $111,000 four years ago (which seemingly makes my offered #1 appear relatively inexpensive)!!!

But none of the other books, to my knowledge, offer what this copy does: presumably signed by the FF creator himself, the master Jack Kirby!!! Unfortunately, the signing was not done in the presence of CGC so no verification exists. Of course, there is no guarantee that the signature is authentic. However, I am aware of the recent history of this book and spoken with a prior owner who is a well-known comic book dealer. It was he who had the book certified by CGC. He told me that he has seen many authentic copies of Kirby's signature and he was of the opinion this signature is, in fact, authentic. Moreover, I spoke with CGC and confirmed that had they believed it was not Kirby's signature, it would not have been noted on the label (which is not the same, of course, as confirming authenticity).

This copy was actually given away as the Grand prize in a sweepstakes run by Activision. Luckily the current owner saved the book during the flooding caused last year by Hurricane Katrina!

This book is going nowhere but up! The next buyer will not be unhappy with this copy!

Overstreet 2005 Guide: VF 8.0 $9,200; VF/NM 9.0 $22,100; NM- 9.2 $35,000.

NETWORK OF DISCLOSURE STATEMENT: This book was previously certified as a CGC 7.5 and was resubmitted by a prior owner and graded in its present form of a CGC 8.0. It was not pressed.

What are folks' opinions of whether Kirby's signature, assuming it is authentic, increases the value of the book?

On a book like this, i dont know that it does anything to it. Personally, I think I would rather have an unsigned copy than an signed.