• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #17

40 posts in this topic

The color pallette is almost grotesque in its conflicts, which appears to be more in bad taste, than in an effort to shock.

Then sue the colorist.. and isn't Byrne color-blind anway?

I find most of Byrne's work to be uniformly offensive, due to his 70's disco aesthetic. Here we see it in the over-stylized head-shots of the vanquished X-Men, particularly Storm, The Beast and Sprite. And Kitty Pride? Talk about bad hair and magenta pants. The color pallette is almost grotesque in its conflicts, which appears to be more in bad taste, than in an effort to shock.

I know you X-Fans are going to pile on, but aside from its message, I find it visually uninspiring. About the only creative and effective graphic aspect is the deterioration of the X-Men logo . . .

news.gif paging THE_BEYONDER news.gif you get the torch, I'll get the kindling - some re-education is necessary here. sumo.gif

I find most of Byrne's work to be uniformly offensive, due to his 70's disco aesthetic. Here we see it in the over-stylized head-shots of the vanquished X-Men, particularly Storm, The Beast and Sprite. And Kitty Pride? Talk about bad hair and magenta pants. The color pallette is almost grotesque in its conflicts, which appears to be more in bad taste, than in an effort to shock.

I know you X-Fans are going to pile on, but aside from its message, I find it visually uninspiring. About the only creative and effective graphic aspect is the deterioration of the X-Men logo . . .

Now that you have me look at the cover closely, tell me if the face for Beast isn't really the exact same as the unmasked Wolverine standing in front of the poster ...

okay, firstly, Timulty agrees with you.

secondly, your first sentence renders the rest of it moot. if you find Byrne's work offensive for using an aesthetic that offends, then you're not going to see the value in the book.

hey, i don't particularly like Ditko's work, but i can recognise ASM 21 as a great cover just the same

The color pallette is almost grotesque in its conflicts, which appears to be more in bad taste, than in an effort to shock.

Then sue the colorist.. and isn't Byrne color-blind anway?

Even so, we're judging the covers, the whole covers, and nothing but the covers . . . 27_laughing.gif

No one said to limit their opinion to the penciler . . . confused-smiley-013.gif

Now that you have me look at the cover closely, tell me if the face for Beast isn't really the exact same as the unmasked Wolverine standing in front of the poster ...

To his credit, at least you can tell the men from the women . . . unlike MacFarlane blush.gif

27_laughing.gif

secondly, your first sentence renders the rest of it moot. if you find Byrne's work offensive for using an aesthetic that offends, then you're not going to see the value in the book.

I'd see the value in the book if I had 20 of them stashed away . . . devil.gif

hey, i don't particularly like Ditko's work, but i can recognise ASM 21 as a great cover just the same

You're comparing this to ASM #21? 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

gossip.gif Still mad about my comments on your nominee? . . . poke2.gif

flowerred.gif

Nice cover to the end of one of the greatest comic book runs of all-time, but what's up with the She-Hulk face? foreheadslap.gif

what?

It's a young Howard Stern! blush.gif

X-Men141.jpg

My favourite in the top 20 so far.

An absolute classic, and very shocking when it first hit the stands. A truly powerful cover. A shame Byrne didn't do more covers during his peak. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nice cover to the end of one of the greatest comic book runs of all-time, but what's up with the She-Hulk face? foreheadslap.gif

what?

It's a young Howard Stern! blush.gif

X-Men141.jpg

sign-funnypost.gif

Just out of interest divad, are there any of Byrne's covers that you do like?

I seriously doubt it . . . but I could still put them in order of preference (if forced to . . . ) grin.gif

I would be more interested in hearing who your top 5 favourite artists are... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

I'd see the value in the book if I had 20 of them stashed away . . . devil.gif

You're comparing this to ASM #21? 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

gossip.gif Still mad about my comments on your nominee? . . . poke2.gif

flowerred.gif

i could never stay mad at you....

thumbsup2.gif

you might have something in the future i'd want to buy! 893whatthe.gif

tonofbricks.gif