• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #17

40 posts in this topic

With the 17th entry we have the first Marvel on the list courtesy of fan favorite John Byrne. Subject matter is of course is the X-Men and most notable Wolverine in what is now a classic rendition. One of Byrne's last covers on the series, he definitely went out with a bang. Thanks to joe collector who "couldn't believe it wasn't on the nominations list," on day 7 - for nominating this cover, in the end a lot of people agreed with him. grin.gifthumbsup2.gif #16 will be up tonight.

X-Men141.jpg

Although I didn't vote for it, one of my favorite X-men covers.

Also, reminds me of a question I thought of the other day:

What's the 1st appearance of Wolvie w/out the mask?

Great cover! Complex, but not overly busy (which kills so many covers for me). That was such a great run of books; it makes me sorry to see how far the X-Men have fallen.

Apparently the voters were confused . . . there is nothing at all interesting to note regarding the composition of this cover. screwy.gif

Does it make a statement? Of course, but not much beyond that.

I gotta say, this is a pretty wimpy (or a Heritage "artificially whitened") example of this killer cover, with no "pink face" in evidence. Here's a real nice "newstand fresh" one that really shows off the colors:

<CENTER>1130057-x_141.jpg</CENTER>

1130057-x_141.jpg.3f84d7ebd422ba43c794ef8d9f6f1d4f.jpg

Ok, my 2 cents. It was agonizing not to vote for this book. I still remember the first time I saw this cover. I was far more interested in the background - I remember thinking WTF they're all slain 893whatthe.gif what the 893censored-thumb.gif happened? Wolvie with Grey Hair, no costume, backed against the wall looking very sinister and p!ssed off. This cover created its own hype - it said 'nuff said without saying a word. More importantly for once and maybe one of the last times, the Interior story and art lived up to the Amazing Cover. cloud9.gif

Nice cover to the end of one of the greatest comic book runs of all-time, but what's up with the She-Hulk face? foreheadslap.gif

what?

I agree that this is a great cover. Actually looking at the Bronze age X-Men covers, I don't think they stand up to the interior art. But, with #141 and #142, the covers matched the intensity of the story. thumbsup2.gif

I agree that this is a great cover. Actually looking at the Bronze age X-Men covers, I don't think they stand up to the interior art. But, with #141 and #142, the covers matched the intensity of the story. thumbsup2.gif

ARGHH! - Abandoned by my brethren . . . frustrated.gif

it still sucks . . . devil.gif

Want to know why? grin.gif

Sure, I'll bite. Why does this cover suck? Aren't you the slightest bit interested in what happens in the book?

Yes, that was my point initially. The cover sends a message and draws you in . . . but is that the only value of a cover? Clearly, NO.

I find most of Byrne's work to be uniformly offensive, due to his 70's disco aesthetic. Here we see it in the over-stylized head-shots of the vanquished X-Men, particularly Storm, The Beast and Sprite. And Kitty Pride? Talk about bad hair and magenta pants. The color pallette is almost grotesque in its conflicts, which appears to be more in bad taste, than in an effort to shock.

I know you X-Fans are going to pile on, but aside from its message, I find it visually uninspiring. About the only creative and effective graphic aspect is the deterioration of the X-Men logo . . .

I find most of Byrne's work to be uniformly offensive, due to his 70's disco aesthetic. Here we see it in the over-stylized head-shots of the vanquished X-Men, particularly Storm, The Beast and Sprite. And Kitty Pride? Talk about bad hair and magenta pants. The color pallette is almost grotesque in its conflicts, which appears to be more in bad taste, than in an effort to shock.

I know you X-Fans are going to pile on, but aside from its message, I find it visually uninspiring. About the only creative and effective graphic aspect is the deterioration of the X-Men logo . . .

confused-smiley-013.gif I like the stylized head shots, with the hair and the dramatic cuts/chins of the face. To each their own.