• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Damaged during slabbing?

23 posts in this topic

A 9.2? with two large pieces of top overflash broken/pulled off? Look closely. The pieces are still there, hanging precariously. Could this have occurred in the processing/slabbing? If not, how could THIS get a 9.2? Very similar to a Cap 100 in CGC 9.6 that had fairly ample sized pieces lodged/welded into the seam of the inner well!

web page

Oh for God's sake, Odin! YOU can relate to the trials and tribulations of keeping a watchful eye on the Universe, I'm sure! 893whatthe.gif The friggin' gray-scale on my screen was completely off. Must have been the work of Lucifer himself! NEVER MIND! insane.gif

elftor158-12.gif

893offtopic1.gif

I'm not really into the whole "X-Men" thing...but I cannot help but notice that the X-Man guy who shoots lasers or whatever out of his visor is a direct ripoff from Jack Cole's "Comet" from Pep Comics, 1940.

See attached pic....

pep03_18.jpg

Bulletman's first appearance: Nickel Comics #1, May 1940

Comet's first appearance: Pep Comics #1, January 1940.

Remind me how that could possibly be a rip-off again? makepoint.gif

You know, you know--- thats NOT FAIR!!

to catch me on that statement would actually mean that you have actually HEARD of this Bulletman character that no one has ever actually heard of, dont you????

I was just trying to bring the thread full circle around to good ol' Bullety.

I owned a nice Pep31 at one time but I confess I never even opened it up. (gasp!)

I'm a golden age guy, so of course I'd know that. I'd love to buy that Pep 31 from you (if you still had it); I have a CGC VG+ unrestored copy, but it's still quite hard to find.

MLJ had quite a bit of interested history. You know that the Black Hood's foe from late 1940 - on was "The Skull"? Holy swipe Captain America villian! And the original owner of the "Man of Steel" was Steel Sterling, and that moniker wasn't used until Zip Comics dropped off during the summer of 1944?

You should've read that Pep 31! In the first story, the bad guy is doing cocaine!

Umm..doesn't a Red Skull-time thing appear in Captain America's Weird Tales 75?

Appears in #74. #75 had no Cap at all in it - the only pure precode horror of the Cap run - and one I really need to get - may have to end up with a Metropolis issue but they are asking an awful lot and all are miscut. frown.gif

Only 10 years later (lol)...

Captain America #75 - Feb 1950

Top-Notch #9, October 1940

I only mention these things because MLJ never gets any respect as the populous is so Marvel/DC focused.

I submitted a Top-Notch Comics #2 to CGC along with a letter stating it was, in fact, the first WWII Nazi War Cover. Up until last year the Overstreet guide had Marvel Mystery #4 listed as first. Well, CGC contacted Bob Overstreet and they made the change, which is now present in the 2003 guide. How's that for CGC caring about accuracy? I was very impressed.

Here's the book mentioned by the way:

Top Notch #2, First WWII cover

Lastly, Here's what MLJ's original "SKULL" looked like in 1940...(Captain America wasn't introduced until 1941)

ORIGINAL SKULL

Also, MLJ was FURIOUS (or so I've read) about Captain America's character being a direct swipe of "The Shield"....

Timely was forced to change the "SHIELD" of their Captain America or was faced with a lawsuit. Note the differences between them from Captain America #1 and Captain America #2. For a point of reference, check Pep Comics #1 and the Shield's costume....

insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

I forgot not everyone has these scans available.

Pep 1 - JANUARY 1940 ....Note the look of his uniform.

804008508o.jpg

Capt #1, March 1941- Note the "SHIELD" and its shape.

806019342o.jpg

Capt #2 - FORCED to change. And they did.

806019038o.jpg