• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MYLAR QUESTION

17 posts in this topic

Here's my question for all of you art folks. Is it alright to store uninked pencils in mylar. I was under the impression that mylar is non reactive but I was also wondering if the act of putting a piece into the mylar would mechanically smear the pencils. I really don't like the idea of putting a fixative on an artists work. (This isn't even a consideration for me). Any comments????

Thanks,

CW

I have quite a few pencil drawings that I've personally done and haven't applied fixative to yet and I store them in an Itoya portfolio until I apply fixative and they don't smudge. Some of them are portraits with blended 2B pencil (which is super easy to smudge) and they don't budge in the portfolio.

So I would say you're ok.

If I ever bought pencilled only artwork I would probably apply fixative to them. Having been nervous the first few times applying fixative and seeing that it doesn't do anything visible to the art and only protects it, now that I've done it quite a few times I wouldn't hesitate to apply it. I'd use art store fixative though that doesn't yellow over time like some cheap ones (or hairspray) may do.

I hope this helps.

Thanks. Is there a specific brand of fixative you use?

I use Krylon Workable Fixatif.

It is called "workable" because it dries with no shine and, while it protects the art underneath it permanently, would allow an artist to draw pencils over the top of the fixative thus allowing him to add to the piece at a later time.

It is a good flexible fixative.

Chris

Thanks. Is there a specific brand of fixative you use?

I use Prismacolor Tuffilm Final Fixative. It's for pastel, charcoal and pencil and is non-yellowing. I buy the mat finish.

It is for final pieces though that will never have work done to them in the future.

It's all I've ever used. It's one of those rare products that you try once and it does everything it's supposed to do and just works great. I use it for my own artwork and if I ever bought a page of pencils only I'd not hesitate to spray it with this stuff.

http://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.com/mubop

Great stuff guys. Also for those of you checking out this thread. If you haven't checked it out yet take a look see at Thomas' art gallery on his CAF page. Not only does it show the invisibility of his fixative but his artwork is great!!!!

Thanks for the kind words CW. I actually just made that gallery active today with a few pieces of my own art just to show you that the fixative is indeed transparent.

CW,

I have a lot of pencil pieces in mylar and have never noticed any smudging. Like you I am hesitant to use fixative, mainly due to the fear that I'll screw it up somehow. wink.gif However, I would not be surprised if some of my pencil pieces might actually have some fixative on them from the artist without my knowledge.

I believe mylar is safe for all forms of artwork with the notable exception of oil paintings .

Lamb

Thanks Lambo,

I didn't realize that there was an exception to oil paintings but I am glad I do now. I always learn something new on these boards. A plethora(sp?) of info.

CW

No prob, Chris. I didn't know myself until about a year ago when an artist told me that the oil paint may stick to the mylar under certain circumstances. So when you pull out the art, you kind of peel away the paint! 893whatthe.gif Luckily I only have a few oil pieces and they were either framed or in my portfolio.

Lamb

I got mine at a nice local art store. I had to get a pretty big one though because I have a couple of extra large pieces. Try googling it. I seem to recall that showing up some good results.

In the past, I bought most of mine at my local AC Moore, an art supply chain store but they have only the 14 x 17 size and not the 13 x 19. Recently based on someone's recommendation, I bought a bunch of 13x19 from this website.

http://www.artstuff.net/itoya_art_size_profolios.htm

Good prices and selection and they shipped almost immediately! thumbsup2.gif

I would recommend either the 14x17 or 13x19 sizes for std comic art sized paper. The 11x17 fits way too snug for my liking especially for DC paper. The larger sizes also give you extra room to accomodate mylar sleeves if you use them. The 18x24 is awesome to store double page spreads. It's great not having to take those DPS out of a smaller book and unfolding the spread just to look at it.

Lamb

Luckily I only have a few oil pieces and they were either framed or in my portfolio.

Thus Lamb's Velvet Elvis playing poker with dogs painting has been preserved for future generations. poke2.gif

Chris

Actually, Chris, it was a painting of Velvet Elvis sitting in a chair with a dog head trophy wall behind him...

Hey that's a pretty good idea...mind if I use it as a theme? stooges.gif

that would be 893censored-thumb.gif ing awesome.

You always have the best ideas... headbang.gif

Chris