• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone with any exp. with comickeys?

217 posts in this topic

Here's the deal.....Since the forum really started going (around last June), this is a topic that has come up numerous times. Most of those times it ended w/ some really nasty insults back and forth, people in the penalty box, endless threats, etc... that spanned over almost every thread.

Hammer used to get quite defensive and nasty (as most people would if they were under constant berrage of accusations). Still, no one has come forward with a book bought from comic-keys (Hammer) that was sold on eBay, sent to CGC, and come back restored. If Hammer's auctions make you leary, don't bid. I haven't bid on his books, as they are usually way out of my price range (most HG silver is...).

In order to maintain some semblence of "nice-ness" on the board, I think we've all decided it's best to avoid this subject. Hammer is very knowledgeble in many areas of comics (Golden Age, Silver, Restoration, Printing), as are many of the members he has gotten into "dis-agreements" with. I thinks it's best for our forum community to have as many knowledgeble people posting as possible.

This thread was an obvious attempt by a troll to fire Hammer up.

Chris

Why are so many people "scared" of Danny and his "comic-keys" personae?

Pretty much everyone in the hobby knows what's going on with him and his books and the "private feedback" and why he only allows private feedback and how he gives $$$ back when the books come back restored from CGC and how the scans are doctored and how he's had several names and the list goes on and on and on and on and on and..............

Come one kiddies, get some spine and call a spade a spade.

I didn't think that you could be more of a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed, but you've proved me wrong.

Personally, I don't know a whole lot about comic-keys... and I've heard from other dealers that he's not to be trusted... I've watched his auctions and the books, ungraded seem to be in remarkably high grade. And of course, I've always wondered why he doesn't slab his books for the extra profit they would assuredly bring. But... I've never bought a book from him, so what I know is rumor, and unless you have personal experience, I think it's tough to truly ever judge.

All that being said, I think the board has discussed the comic-keys issue to death, and I think rehashing it over again won't really bring any results.

There's a very simple answer. If you feel uncomfortable, then just don't bid. I don't think this board will provide any answers to the true nature of comic keys... because frankly, you'll hear a different side of the story from a bunch of different people here. I don't think anyone is "letting him off the hook" or "treating him with kid gloves"... but enough is enough. When spending relatively large amounts of money on comics, I like to meet the guy face to face once before spending a large amount of money.

Does he have pictures of some of you guys you don't want people to see?

He has a photo of me in a restaraunt in Nice with my girlfriend. I have managed to convince the board members she was actually a fancy dessert but Ham figured it out and now has me cornered like a 2 legged rat.

Me and Sally

I also concur and agree with the other sentiments expressed re: bringing knowledge, dead horse etc etc.

It's because it's already been played out here. It's old "news" and everyone has come to their own conclusions. It's a dead horse.

Not to mention the fact that he's a productive (usually positive) contributor to this board, like him or not.

1. It's not "old news" for people who don't know him and might have the misfortune of buying a restored book from him. Granted, you (I'm using the collective "you" here) don't have to exhume the corpse of all the particulars, prop it up and then beat it around some more. However, what might be said is "buyer beware" and leave it at that.

2. I find it permissive, in the extreme, to adopt the attitude that because someone (who is ripping people off in the hobby) is a "positive contributor" they are then exempt from criticism or exposure. I'm sure Eva Braun thought Adolph was a really nice guy, however, her warped opinion of him didn't mitigate his actions.

2. I find it permissive, in the extreme, to adopt the attitude that because someone (who is ripping people off in the hobby) is a "positive contributor" they are then exempt from criticism or exposure.

The "criticism or exposure" part has already played out though. Do a search for "Comic-keys" and have a blast. The vast majority here have already been through it and don't care to do it again. If you have something new to offer (other then your second hand opinion) then please do. If not then drop it.

I find it permissive, in the extreme, to adopt the attitude that because someone (who is ripping people off in the hobby) is a "positive contributor" they are then exempt from criticism or exposure. I'm sure Eva Braun thought Adolph was a really nice guy, however, her warped opinion of him didn't mitigate his actions.

I find it despicable in the extreme that I things about Hammer like "Pretty much everyone in the hobby knows what's going on with him and his books" and "I almost bit on them until the whole deal started smelling to high heaven, so, I made some inquires and BOY OH BOY did I get an education!!!" - I don't need nor are am I stupid enough to pay homage to second hand allegations and vague "knowing winks" - as if all someone has to say is "I know were HE is coming from!!!" to have me bow down to the gossip mill.

The vast majority here have already been through it and don't care to do it again. If you have something new to offer (other then your second hand opinion) then please do. If not then drop it.

Assuming that you're part of the "vast majority" that feels the topic of comic-keys has reached a level of tedium heretofore unseen, rather than telling those of us, who have yet to dine on this feast, to essentially shut up, wouldn't it make more sense for you to merely ignore this thread since you feel it's such an annoyance?

Just a thought.

Dude... are you serious? Okay, look... nobody said here that they were giving him a pass because he's a "positive contributor"... most here have responded by saying they don't have personal knowledge. And it's old news for people here as a discussion topic... it's the same people handing out basically the same knowledge... why would people on this board want to have the same conversation over again when no one's really bringing any new information. And the thing is, nobody "knows" (or at least I haven't seen it) that he's ripping people off... those that do know for sure are qualified to discuss it... otherwise it IS beating a dead horse.

I think that through the links posted and the other comments, the general sentiment is many of us have our doubts but how many of us have proof?

I purchased a book from comic-keys in November of 2000, and the transaction was positive. This happened before this board existed, and before I had heard any of the rumours regarding DD, RK, hammer, keys, etc.,.

Now, I take all the rumors here with a grain of salt, but it was not until a few days ago that I realized we had done business previously. I may want to send it in to CGC...

I may want to send it in to CGC...

I hope you do.

There is not a SINGLE East Coast ultra-high grade Silver Age collector who would buy a book from comic-keys. Not one. Zip. Zilch. Nada. I know these guys and if comic-keys books were the real deal, they'd be on the next train to Long Island to feed on them like hogs getting a fresh bucket of slop. When THESE guys run the other way, do you REALLY need FIRST HAND proof to make you go "hmmmm"?

However, I am personally familiar with comic-keys since he tried to sell me a number of high grade books a couple of years ago and I almost bit on them until the whole deal started smelling to high heaven, so, I made some inquires and BOY OH BOY did I get an education!!! Needless to say, I dodged THAT bullet.

Care to vague it up a little there, >Hoo< ? Let me guess: You're somehow related to the other retread retards from upstairs who would create all sorts of shill IDs just to attack ol' Ham? Nice work, Encyclopedia Brown.

I hope you do.

There is not a SINGLE East Coast ultra-high grade Silver Age collector who would buy a book from comic-keys. Not one. Zip. Zilch. Nada. I know these guys and if comic-keys books were the real deal, they'd be on the next train to Long Island to feed on them like hogs getting a fresh bucket of slop. When THESE guys run the other way, do you REALLY need FIRST HAND proof to make you go "hmmmm"?

How about a little "FIRST HAND proof" that these dealers actually have such a policy? "Hmmmm." You seem to "know" an awful lot of stuff that you can't substantiate, >Hoo< .

I hope you do.

Ummm...I'm on the east Coast...please don't pull me into to your world.... makepoint.gif...I have heard all the stuff about comickeys and am cautious due to all the stuff that is spewed around here... but the only reason I did not buy his recent Sub-mariner #1 was because the price was out of my league...not because of the source... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif...If I can get a good deal on one of his books i will give him the benifit of the doubt and buy it...the guy could just disappear into the woodwork and not post here and continue selling HG books...but he is here, contributes continuously, and suffers through some pretty horrendous shizit being hurled his way....give the guy credit for his perseverance and let facts determine his fate... 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

How about a little "FIRST HAND proof" that these dealers actually have such a policy? "Hmmmm." You seem to "know" an awful lot of stuff that you can't substantiate, Troll.

i've bought from hoodeedoo before and he's a legit seller on eBay, i might also add he's not trolling. 893naughty-thumb.gifmakepoint.gifinsane.gif i too like dr. banner has bought a book from carlos, no that's only for BB memorbillia, i mean koos, oops, i meant to say danny before. i still have it, and will get it graded sometime when i feel like it. but why spend money on something when you know what it's coming back as? blush.gif893frustrated.gif893whatthe.gif

Troll.

I just love name calling - it takes me back to my days in Jr. High when I was actually reading comic books and not merely collecting them.

There you go, I went back and took out the SO-upsetting "name calling," despite your earlier suggestion to "call a spade a spade."

Now, care to answer the questions?

How about a little "FIRST HAND proof" that these dealers actually have such a policy? "Hmmmm." You seem to "know" an awful lot of stuff that you can't substantiate, Troll.

i've bought from hoodeedoo before and he's a legit seller on eBay, i might also add he's not trolling. 893naughty-thumb.gifmakepoint.gifinsane.gif i too like dr. banner has bought a book from carlos, no that's only for BB memorbillia, i mean koos, oops, i meant to say danny before. i still have it, and will get it graded sometime when i feel like it. but why spend money on something when you know what it's coming back as? blush.gif893frustrated.gif893whatthe.gif

I'm really glad that Hoodeehoo is a legit seller on Ebay. Apparently Hammer is too, as you got your book... oh wait, no he's not because you're making wild accusations and unsubstantiated claims. Riiiiight.

FWIW, there's been 2 people on here who have claimed to have gotten back restored books from Comic-Keys. He did offer them refunds however. I don't have an opinion on Hammer as I have never bought from him, however, all the allegations surrounding him do make me a little uneasy to do so now. Unfounded or otherwise..

Brian