• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #9

66 posts in this topic

A comic cover should draw you into the story. It should tantalize you and stand out as it sits in a worn metal comic rack in the 7-11. It should beckon to you as you walk down the supermarket aisle with your mom, and as you come up to the comics section which is part of the magazine section, she says.. "Okay, but just one."

And so you look at all the covers for that month and you make a choice. That's a top cover.

Later, when you're older and you have enough money to buy your own comics, the top cover is that cover that makes you start buying a series. From that first one comes the second issue. From that second issue comes the third.

So for my older brother all those years ago... the first X-men issue he bought was #96, not #94 or GS #1.

As adults, our viewpoint changes. Now, we look at the covers knowing the contents and significance of the actual comic book. (My #1's probably not on anyone's list, but I think it's just a great cover.)

JMHO

Wonderfully put . . . my first top cover was Nick Fury #1 cloud9.gif There were many covers before that, but I still remember being blown away by it . . . hi.gif

A comic cover should draw you into the story. It should tantalize you and stand out as it sits in a worn metal comic rack in the 7-11. It should beckon to you as you walk down the supermarket aisle with your mom, and as you come up to the comics section which is part of the magazine section, she says.. "Okay, but just one."

And so you look at all the covers for that month and you make a choice. That's a top cover.

Later, when you're older and you have enough money to buy your own comics, the top cover is that cover that makes you start buying a series. From that first one comes the second issue. From that second issue comes the third.

So for my older brother all those years ago... the first X-men issue he bought was #96, not #94 or GS #1.

As adults, our viewpoint changes. Now, we look at the covers knowing the contents and significance of the actual comic book. (My #1's probably not on anyone's list, but I think it's just a great cover.)

JMHO

Hey SHin thats a great post - I will add that what draws everyone in WILL BE DIFFERENT. Numerous times throughout these threads you have someone calling the cover a POS and then someone else saying its the best thing since sliced bread juggle.gif and I guess thats the whole point isn't it.

Again while I didn't vote for this one it is my favorite BA Spidey cover. My tastes did change over time and I do prefer more of the DC cover art from this period now. However the first time I saw this cover I just thought - THATS KICK and that first impression just stuck. Sure the buildings are messed up in perspective 893blahblah.gif but the image of Spidey and the Goblin pitched in battle on the Glider is headbang.gifcloud9.gif TO me its just everything a comic cover could and should be for that era and for those characters. The interesting thing about this cover and the reason it landed in the Top Ten is that people you would think of as being DC BA lovers had this as there lone Marvel in a few cases - I think that speaks volumes. It might be that their taste may have changed but the first impression this cover made on them stuck as well. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What JC says about favorite characters is probably accurate.

Once a fan decides to go with "Batman" for example then the art comes into play, by picking the best artwork cover of the already chosen character Batman.

Since it's a combination of these things, the best artwork (overall) might not be top 10.

Over in the copper section they're raving about the werewolf cover of Moonknight.

Sketching it doesn't take too long as there's not much to it. But it's still a nice cover even though there is limited actual artwork.

What JC says about favorite characters is probably accurate.

Once a fan decides to go with "Batman" for example then the art comes into play, by picking the best artwork cover of the already chosen character Batman.

Since it's a combination of these things, the best artwork (overall) might not be top 10.

Over in the copper section they're raving about the werewolf cover of Moonknight.

Sketching it doesn't take too long as there's not much to it. But it's still a nice cover even though there is limited actual artwork.

Ohh, I need to get over to the copper forum. That Moon Knight cover is one of my favs. I'd definately make it a top 5 copper age cover. Bill Sicenwitzianationaonomatapia(ah heck, you know who I mean) is great!!!!

Sorry if this post made the bronze forum go down the toilet any more. makepoint.gif

Jason, 'scuse not giving you a write-up about my nominating this cover as I was away from the boards during my NYC trip, and have only just caught up with the BA Forum.

Reason for voting: it's just an iconic, dramatic cover. Not artistically on the same level as Weird Science-Fantasy 29, but one that immediately grabs your attention. It comes at the peak of Spidey's Bronze Age run (a very downbeat period in the Spidey saga) and in context evokes Spidey's troubled and intense world very well.

I just like the juxtaposition between the two former friends (in red-out) having an argument and Spidey and the Goblin ferociously battling each other. Plus the building/street effect gives the cover a slightly surreal and claustrophobic edge. Great stuff.