• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #8

53 posts in this topic

One of my favorites also! the 3 characters from my sig line are from this book.

I still like it even though Wrightson screwed up on the demon's right hand! poke2.gif

1133214-DC100Pg4.jpg

There's nothing wrong with the demon's hand. That's a melted candle behind the hand.

The picture is unclear, but his fingers curl down when they should be curling up based on the position of the hand.

I just enlarged a portion from the original scan in this thread but yes, you are correct. The fingers should curl up but Wrightson has them bent downward as if the hand was palm down, which is not the case. It has nothing to do with the candle. Still love the cover though!

I still like it even though Wrightson screwed up on the demon's right hand! poke2.gif

1133214-DC100Pg4.jpg

There's nothing wrong with the demon's hand. That's a melted candle behind the hand.

The picture is unclear, but his fingers curl down when they should be curling up based on the position of the hand.

I just enlarged a portion from the original scan in this thread but yes, you are correct. The fingers should curl up but Wrightson has them bent downward as if the hand was palm down, which is not the case. It has nothing to do with the candle. Still love the cover though!

Actually, the fingers are curling the right way, the colorist just didn't color the 1st portion right.

Nice cover. Tough in high grade. But in the top 20? I just don't see it.

Frankly, I thought it should have been higher.... it's a killer.

Off-topic, but my copy - while nice - has a light yellow horizontal streak running through the back cover. I have noticed a couple of issues where that flaw is evident, and sometimes on the back cover. Anyone else notice it? And how does CGC reflect this in their grading?

Interested,

Shep

Off-topic, but my copy - while nice - has a light yellow horizontal streak running through the back cover. I have noticed a couple of issues where that flaw is evident, and sometimes on the back cover. Anyone else notice it? And how does CGC reflect this in their grading?

Interested,

Shep

I had an 8.5 with that roller drag on it. CGC didn't deduct for it at all.

Interested,

Shep

Many books have common production smears like that (Hulk 181 and Amazing Adventures 11 come to mind), and CGC does not deduct for them from what I can tell. confused-smiley-013.gif

Interested,

Shep

Many books have common production smears like that (Hulk 181 and Amazing Adventures 11 come to mind), and CGC does not deduct for them from what I can tell. confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe it's like centering and it only comes into play if the book falls into one of the top four or five grades.

I thought this would do better too, maybe top three. It's not a major character on the cover, for sure, which hurts its chances, but to me for pure art's sake this is probably the best bronze cover.

1133214-DC100Pg4.jpg

Actually, the fingers are curling the right way, the colorist just didn't color the 1st portion right.

Well I stand corrected! After looking at this for the millionth time I see what you are saying. Sorry for doubting you Bernie, it was the colorist! flowerred.gif