• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM #83 cover sold at Sotheby's 6/94 auction?

8 posts in this topic

I was flipping through one of my Collected Kirby Collector volumes last night and saw this noted (price: $9200). I presume this was the real thing and not a recreation? If anybody has the catalog handy I'd love to see a scan of the piece if it's not too much trouble. Also, anybody who has seen it and/or has general knowledge of it, I'd love to hear your comments also.

This was around the time period that Jack Kirby and Ayers were commissioned to recreate their classic covers by the auction house. They were gorgeous oversized pieces and sold for great prices. Going on memory I don't think there was a single one under $5k, but I have to double check to be sure.

There is a chance this was the original, but it might have been one of these recreations. I have to check my old auction catalogs to be sure. I do have some memory of the real JIM 83 cover out there, but it was so long ago I can't jog my memory.

Chris

Thanks for the info and the scans. I knew of the recreations and thought the price seemed low even for 12 yrs ago, but I was confused by the fact that there was apparently an Ayers recreation of the cover sold at Christie's the next year.

In all my collecting years, i have never heard of the existence of the JIM 83 cover.

I think the cover to JIM 87 is the earliest by far of any Marvel SA hero cover.

The pg.1 splash to JIM 83 is out there though.

Clem.....

In all my collecting years, i have never heard of the existence of the JIM 83 cover.

Clem.....

Thanks for the info. Wow, the page one splash is still quite a prize, though. Very strong piece.

Clem.....

I meant the cover to JIM 89 of course.