• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - #7

35 posts in this topic

Lucky # 7 sees Bernie Wrightson putting the "C" back in classic cover with now iconic cover art for House of Secrets #92. This cover features the 1st app. of the Swamp Thing and is one of the most recognizable images from the Bronze era of comic books.

Thanks to Stephen Fishler of Metropolis Collectibles for the nomination. thumbsup2.gif

HOS92.jpg

I'm never one to complain about Wrightson, but I've always thought this cover overrated. It's not bad by any means and his penciling/greytone technique is superb, but this one seems important/memorable to me more for the book - first appearance of Swampy - than for the striking cover art. So while it might land in my top 20 or 30, it's not a Top Ten cover for me.

I'm never one to complain about Wrightson, but I've always thought this cover overrated. It's not bad by any means and his penciling/greytone technique is superb, but this one seems important/memorable to me more for the book - first appearance of Swampy - than for the striking cover art. So while it might land in my top 20 or 30, it's not a Top Ten cover for me.

Sheer blasphemy! sumo.gifdevil.gif

27_laughing.gif One of my all-time favorites from the Bronze Age sumo.gif Arguably, the book that started it all! hail.gifhail.gif

One of my faforites just for it's simplicity -- pretty girl plus ugly monster= horror comic. No extraneous details cluttering the artwork -- just what needs to be there. I can't remember if I voted for this one though. I kinda got screwed by nominating 'tec 412(love those horse -c). Probably, the only one not to make the list.

I really like this cover as well, the grey tones, the purple/greens, and the striking portrait of the girl in danger (Louise Simonson, who at the time was Jeff Jones' wife?) all combine for a memorable cover. The copy pictured looks nice and bright, but that's a rarity and many copies are rather drab in color and appear unremarkable.

This cover gets beat up around here a little bit, but I think we've all seen it so often that we're desensitized to how good it is. Not as good as HoS #88, but HoS #88 isn't a key issue, is it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I really like this cover as well, the grey tones, the purple/greens, and the striking portrait of the girl in danger (Louise Simonson, who at the time was Jeff Jones' wife?) all combine for a memorable cover. The copy pictured looks nice and bright, but that's a rarity and many copies are rather drab in color and appear unremarkable.

This cover gets beat up around here a little bit, but I think we've all seen it so often that we're desensitized to how good it is. Not as good as HoS #88, but HoS #88 isn't a key issue, is it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The fact that this is a key issue is a non-issue here, as Swampy's first app at the time wasn't. It's one of three stories in the book, and at the time there were no plans to folllow up this story with a series, which would eventually go what . . . 4 volumes?

Just out and out a great cover on every level, and it meets every test for best that has been mentioned in all of these threads! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifsumo.gif

Gray tones. cloud9.gif

Fantastic cover.

I agree, just fantastic! cloud9.gif, and the second of my five picks to make the top ten . . . grin.gif

I can't remember, but I think I had this one in my top 5. I can't recall if I put down this one, DC 100 4, or HOM 236. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gray tones. cloud9.gif

Fantastic cover.

I agree, just fantastic! cloud9.gif, and the second of my five picks to make the top ten . . . grin.gif

I can't remember, but I think I had this one in my top 5. I can't recall if I put down this one, DC 100 4, or HOM 236. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

HOS #110 - Keeping score at home hi.gif

If anyone wants me to PM them their votes back so they can remember how they votes just PM me 27_laughing.gif - the save sent PM option still works doesnt it wink.gif

Hey Mike, thanks for the blurb about Louise Simonson - I had forgotten about that. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I agree, except for the part about it being in the top 20 or 30. This cover is way, way, wayyyyyy overrated. The bulk of the space on the cover is taken up by a girl brushing her hair. There's also a green monster behind her. Woo hoo!!!!!!

There's nothing special about it. Graytone? Yeah, like a million other covers during that era. Big whoop.

yay.gif That felt good.

I agree, except for the part about it being in the top 20 or 30. This cover is way, way, wayyyyyy overrated. The bulk of the space on the cover is taken up by a girl brushing her hair. There's also a green monster behind her. Woo hoo!!!!!!

There's nothing special about it. Graytone? Yeah, like a million other covers during that era. Big whoop.

yay.gif That felt good.

Do you feel regular now tongue.gif

I hear you FFB, but this one easily made my top 5 vote (& I don't even own a copy yet!).

The woman brushing her hair doesn't make for an action cover obviously, but for me the cover is more about mood & emotion than about what the figures are actually doing. I love the tension between the two figures (check out the interplay between their eyes...great decision to give Swamp Thing red eyes here, as they really add to the sense of menace and jump out from the rest of the color palette used).

I'm not always a fan of grey tone covers per se but I think the style works just beautifully here...the rendering and the use of light have unusual delicacy and give the whole cover a spooky, timeless feeling.

yay.gif That felt good.

Such subtle commentary . . . poke2.gif and this from a guy who actually drools over ASM #136 insane.gifpoke2.gif

hi.gif

Like some others on the list, no way in heII does this cover make it if it's NOT a key issue.

Yeah . . . like ASM #136 acclaim.gif

"Birds of a feather . . ." 27_laughing.gif

Well, there is no accounting for taste. Philistines! screwy.gif