• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

On-Line purchases...

Where do you prefer to do your on-line shopping?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you prefer to do your on-line shopping?

19 posts in this topic

... where do you make 'em? What type do you prefer? What type of payment methods do you look for?

I ask because I am trying to figure out the best way to go full time on-line. It has been a dream of mine since childhood to have a comic store, and now I will! It'll be a virtual one, but a comic store none the less.

I have sold on eBay for the last while. I haven't had time to put anything up as of late because I've been accumulating stock! I want to get away from the fee structure that eBay has so that I may pass a savings onto the customer.

So, I recently signed up with an eCommerce hosting company. They provide all the necessary tools to get you going... but... I'm not a guy who knows how to use the tools! confused-smiley-013.gif It is quite frustrating! I have spoken with a few people who have their own on-line ventures and they have all said the same thing... It's A LOT of hard work! Now I don't mind the hard work, but what I can't stand is not knowing how to make everything click (pun intended wink.gif)!

This brings me to the reason for the post:

1) Is there anyone on here who can steer me in the right direction? I will gladly compensate. I would need someone to either provide/build/refer me to a template which is easy to manage.

2) Is it worth the time and effort to go to a self owned store on the web? I already have an eBay store which I have been neglecting. Even with the neglect, I get hits and sales 893whatthe.gif

As always, I appreciate all comments and info.

John thumbsup2.gif

I think your best bet is to do ebay for the books that are worth it, but have a link in your auctions that will drive traffic to your regular website.

I prefer to pay by credit card for the protections and convenience (not Paypal.)

I think your best bet is to do ebay for the books that are worth it, but have a link in your auctions that will drive traffic to your regular website.

I prefer to pay by credit card for the protections and convenience (not Paypal.)

So does this mean you'd only shop at a store which has a merchant account? Do/can you not pay with CC through PayPal to get same protection? Or if it does come to a chargeback, are you worried about PayPal putting a hold on your account and having to deal with the headaches?

I am trying to get all info that I can so that I will be able to make it an easy, pleasant transaction for all smile.gif

Thanks!

John thumbsup2.gif

I would choose the first 2 also, but i prefer to use PayPal, although i have the money come out of my bank account (this might scare some) rather than my CC because i found i would charge up the card fast while only making minimum payments. This way if i blow my whole paycheck, im broke for 2 weeks (like now), but i dont have a huge visa bill either.

I like to purchase comics off board members does that count as online shopping?

It sure does thumbsup2.gif

I should have added that option as well smile.gif

I've had some good experiences on here as well!

Used to buy from Ebay 100%. I've slowly switched to 50% forum members.

(although some of that 50% forum members is occasionally through their Ebay auctions) so this gets harder to sort out.

(although some of that 50% forum members is occasionally through their Ebay auctions) so this gets harder to sort out.

almost my case...right now i'm at 90% sopping from forum members and 10% ebay.

it's one of the big advantages of this community is to have reliable and nice sellers with great stuff for sell. and when problems drop by, there's always a very good chance of resolving them friendly.

regards

almost my case...right now i'm at 90% sopping from forum members and 10% ebay.

it's one of the big advantages of this community is to have reliable and nice sellers with great stuff for sell. and when problems drop by, there's always a very good chance of resolving them friendly.

regards

This is exactly the way I have been buying lately. I gave up on buying raw on ebay a few years ago, but with Board members, the grading is usually right on. thumbsup2.gif

Well I guess I'll be posting some items in the marketplace!!! thumbsup2.gif

I only paid $90 for the year to have my eCommerce site hosted, so it's not a complete loss if it doesn't pan out. Hopefully by then I will have figured the program out and be able to put something up!'

Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

John thumbsup2.gif

Russ rocks thumbsup2.gif and I use him myself smile.gif (that sounds dirty foreheadslap.gif)

In regards to eBay not costing much... I have been spending on average $150/mnth and have not seen it pay off a lot of times! I am trying to get away from the fees! I know it's cheap to list in the store, but does it get the attention that the auctions do? I'm not sure confused-smiley-013.gif

I have a following of roughly 300 (small, but a start) previous buyers that I have contact with. I know that if I contact them about new additions to the store that they would at least look. But what about the millions of untapped potential clients? Is ebay the best venue to reach them?

Someone mentioned earlier that having a site of my own and running auctions to attract people to the site is the best option. I agree whole heartedly with that! I just NEED to get the site up Christo_pull_hair.gif

I am not a greedy man. But I do want to make this a success! I don't like to get into something to fail! I have a disability which has been hindering me for the last 5 years and has been interfering with my ability to do my current job. This is why I want to take the step and get involved in something I truly love to do! I can do it from home for the most part and don't have to have "set" hours. Plus, it's a lot easier doing something that you "want" top do, versus doing something you "have" to do!

Again, thanks to all who have replied and PM'd. Without the comments and feedback, I would be lost! I truly appreciate each and everyone of my fellow comic enthusiasts hail.gif

John thumbsup2.gif