• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 'Last Galactus Story'

7 posts in this topic

I noticed 'The_Beyonder' had a question in the 'invites/guests' form regarding the 'Last Galactus Story'. Now, I did recall that the story was in Epic magazine but I was unaware it was unfinished. So, I did a quick google search and found some interesting info regarding the unfinished part of the story. Posting links and quotes below for the interested...

Link to artwork from the story (1st half)

The John Byrne Gallery

From a 2000 interview with JB

"Galactus battles the Watcher who showed up at the end of the last published chapter.

This turns out to be the same Watcher who witnessed the "birth" of Galactus -

yes, that was not Uatu - and who has been driven insane by his guilt over all the deaths

that have happened because, as he sees it, he did not snuff out the nascent Galactus

when he had the chance. As the two battle, over millennia, the universe basically dies

around them. The stars burn out. No "Big Crunch" of everything collapsing back onto

itself to be born again. Entropy wins over all. As the universe verges on flickering out

of existence, Galactus draws into himself the last shreds of energy, giving him just

enough of an edge to defeat the rogue Watcher. But then Galactus and Nova are

alone in an empty, endless void. The universe as we know it is gone. Galactus finally

understands what it's all about. What he's been doing all these billions of years. He

cracks the seals on his armor, and all the energy he has absorbed spews out of

him. He becomes, effectively, the Big Bang of the next universe. Nova survives -

and herself becomes the "Galactus" of that universe, the cycle beginning once again."

I noticed 'The_Beyonder' had a question in the 'invites/guests' form regarding the 'Last Galactus Story'. Now, I did recall that the story was in Epic magazine but I was unaware it was unfinished. So, I did a quick google search and found some interesting info regarding the unfinished part of the story. Posting links and quotes below for the interested...

Link to artwork from the story (1st half)

The John Byrne Gallery

From a 2000 interview with JB

"Galactus battles the Watcher who showed up at the end of the last published chapter.

This turns out to be the same Watcher who witnessed the "birth" of Galactus -

yes, that was not Uatu - and who has been driven insane by his guilt over all the deaths

that have happened because, as he sees it, he did not snuff out the nascent Galactus

when he had the chance. As the two battle, over millennia, the universe basically dies

around them. The stars burn out. No "Big Crunch" of everything collapsing back onto

itself to be born again. Entropy wins over all. As the universe verges on flickering out

of existence, Galactus draws into himself the last shreds of energy, giving him just

enough of an edge to defeat the rogue Watcher. But then Galactus and Nova are

alone in an empty, endless void. The universe as we know it is gone. Galactus finally

understands what it's all about. What he's been doing all these billions of years. He

cracks the seals on his armor, and all the energy he has absorbed spews out of

him. He becomes, effectively, the Big Bang of the next universe. Nova survives -

and herself becomes the "Galactus" of that universe, the cycle beginning once again."

So the moral of the story is...its good to be Nova! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif