• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

who can tell me about "pressing?"

5 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me a little about pressing and if this is considered restoration? I recently acquired some distributor backstock with lots of nice Silver and Bronze books but they were not stored properly. For most, the only real defect is that minor spine curl you get from stacking books on top of one another for 30 years.

No answer to if this is considered "restoration" though, and I guess if so, is it noticeable?

Depends on the circumstances. It can be noticeable. If the book had some folds, for example, suddenly seeing them lying nice and flat but still with a fold crease, that can be an indicator. Also a slight dulling of the gloss and a general - hard to describe without having seen it - alsmot "smoothness" to the finish - but not smooth as in a baby's behind - more a "softness". This is very difficult to describe with words.

Pressing out a spine roll is often very easy to detect becuase you have a flatteing of the areas that were rolled, resulting in oddly misplaced foldish marks that can only come from a pressed out spine roll.

.... nice Silver and Bronze books but they were not stored properly. For most, the only real defect is that minor spine curl you get from stacking books on top of one another for 30 years.

This is an example of "pressing"........... grin.gif