• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Repairing a Tear? Worth it?

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I recently received two pages of original art, which due to mishandling by the USPS (a hole in the box), have two small 1 1/2 inch tears on the margins, which do not touch any of the actual images. The package was insured, but after speaking with a USPS representative, they stated if the claim was approved, the post office keeps the items and I would get a check.

Given that the tears are so small, I'd rather keep the art. I paid about $400 for each page, but obviously their prices now went down a bit. However, I'm wondering if there some sort of special tape I should use in order to help prevent the tears from getting bigger.. or maybe just put them in mylars and leave them alone?

Thoughts are appreciated.

P.S. People should NOT ship art in Priority boxes with no other protection

It really shouldn't hurt the value much, if at all. Maybe some archival tape on the back side of the pages could help asthetically?

Thanks for the reply Solar.

I might try the archival tape (is it really safe?), if just to help prevent the tears from getting bigger.

If the art's something you really like, why don't you have it matted and framed? Out of sight (ie, the tears), out of mind . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

if on the margin, not really such a big deal given how much OA is cropped anyway. a $400 piece is probably worth getting it matted and framed with archival materials and sticking in a nice part of the house! once matted...well, nobody sees the rip anyway.