• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MH CGC Sale

24 posts in this topic

Take it for what it is worth:

Great New Collections Arrive - CGC Sale!

Howdy!

Spring has finally arrived here in the high plains of Eastern Colorado. The crocus flowers are now starting to bloom in the front yard at our farm, and the tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths are close behind. As per usual at our mile high altitude, however, a Spring storm is already predicted to hit us later in the week. While I certainly could do without the cold that's predicted, it would be nice if we had a little moisture around here. Our fields at the farm are bone dry this year, which makes it very hard to get our seeds to germinate. I'm able to pump water from our storage pond to at least get things at least a little wet, but the water level in the pond has already dropped by over three feet this Winter. If we don't get some significant rain or snow soon, I could completely run out of water before our irrigation season begins on April 30th. Once the irrigation water starts flowing in from Boulder Creek, however, we'll be made in the proverbial shade, as our water supplies come from snowmelt. While Boulder has been extremely dry this Winter, up in the mountains just thirty miles to the west of our farm, they have snow over ten feet deep in places! The jet stream has been playing some very strange tricks this year...

While I've been worrying about the weather, the team here at Mile High Comics has been running at full tilt to ship all of your orders. William just informed me that, despite record business, we're running only about one day behind in shipping. All facts considered, that's great! Even better, one of our long-time staffers (who just passed the bar) has returned on a short-term basis to help pull orders. While we are very sorry that the law firm that hired him five weeks ago already downsized him (isn't that lame?), it's great to have Ian back. Ian is remarkably smart and talented, so I'm sure he'll land another job in the legal profession very soon, but in the meantime, because he's already trained and quite fast, he's going to make a huge difference in our being able to send orders to you very quickly.

Another reason that having Ian return is that it is going to allow me to continue to offer you excellent bargains on back issues. Because I'm no longer as concerned about our possibly falling behind, I'm going to keep in effect for you the 20%-80% off all back issues sale that I started last week. That means that you can still purchase even our scarcest back issues at a minimum discount of 20% off of our standard list prices, and up to 80% off on books where we have significant quantities in stock. Those great discounts are particularly nice right now, as we are adding into our online inventory on a daily basis even more great books from the tens of thousands of great back issues I purchased during February. In all candor, our selection of back issues has never in our entire history as a company been better than it is right now. Just 60 days ago, for example, I doubled the size of the room that holds our $20+ back issues. Because I've been purchasing back issues so vigorously during the past eight weeks, however, we've almost entirely filled the second room already! If you haven't checked out our online listings in a while, you really should take a minute to scan New-In-Stock and $50+ New-In-Stock. Our Marvel Comics OnSale, DC Comics OnSale, Image Comics OnSale, and Dark Horse Comics OnSale listings have also increased by nearly double during the past two months. On top of everything else, UPS is scheduled to deliver tomorrow the 30,000+ great back issue comics that I purchased at MegaCon, so our overall selection should keep growing quite amazingly during this entire week. This is a great time to be in the comics world!

Before I forget, those of you who are fans of DC war comics should definitely check out New-In-Stock. Will Moulton purchased a great collection of older DC's for us last week, including a large run of OUR ARMY AT WAR and SGT. ROCK. We also have been adding some of the ultra rare DC digests, and quite a few Bronze Age Marvel comics. I think Bill Daniel also added a nice selection of older magazines. Will also wanted me to tell all the CGC fans in our audience that he's having a 50% off sale on CGC's this week. So you know, if we sell too many CGC's over the next couple of days, the CGC sale will end on Friday. That's all I'm going to tell you about special deals for right now, as I don't want to get everyone too excited, and generate too many orders. Maybe after Daylight Savings Time hits, business will slow down as it did last year since many of you spend less time at your computers and more time outside. But for right now, even with Ian 's help, we're running at darn near full capacity, so I'm done with the hype for today. We are still hiring, by the way, so if you know someone who needs a job, have them apply at 2151 W. 56th Ave. Denver, 80221. Directions at 303-455-9321.

That's it for another newsletter. I'm going to run home right now and try and get some radish, spinach, and lettuce seeds into the ground before dark. The weather service is predicting 50+ MPH winds for tomorrow, as a big cold front comes in from California. With any luck, I'll get my seeds planted, and watered, before the winds blow them to Kansas...

Happy collecting!

Chuck Rozanski,

President - Mile High Comics, Inc.

I actually just picked up a 9.6 Kid Colt 158--I've never seen even 8.5 of this issue--super tough dark green picture frame cover. I'd post it, but I can't seem to save the image without it being corrupted. I'd never pay $50 for the other 9.4 and 9.6 Marvel westerns he has up, but this one I figured I'd never see again.

Hey, it's better to let inventory sit, with the pipedream of making 100% profit, than to settle for 30%-50% profit.

Not when you can turn that book over and use that money buy something else in order to make another 30-50% profit, turn THAT book over....repeat, repeat, ect, ect.

In the time it takes him to sell one book for 100% profit he could have flipped half a dozen books using his original money. confused-smiley-013.gif

100% profit? Anything chuck sells likely entails a 1,000%-10,000% profit. Gottah figure even the stuff he's selling for 75 cents he only paid a penny for (yeah yeah, i'm not including overhead in my equation) and there's plenty of stuff he paid a penny (or pennies) for that he's selling for $10-$50.

I'm not saying his business is that profitable. Tons of overhead, tons of stuff sitting in inventory that will never sell. But when he does sell something, he makes a nice profit compared to what he paid. With that said, Chuck probably does pretty nicely.

I would rather dump stuff I no longer want at break even or a loss, use that money to purchase stuff for my private collection then let it sit, clutter my house knowing that I might make an extra buck or 10 playing the waiting game.

I would rather dump stuff I no longer want at break even or a loss, use that money to purchase stuff for my private collection then let it sit, clutter my house knowing that I might make an extra buck or 10 playing the waiting game.

I feel the same way. If I don't want it in my collection, I want it gone. confused-smiley-013.gif

Exactly, I know if I wait it out long enough I can get more for my rejects but why bother?

I use the money to add new keepers that make me happy, whether Raw or Slabbed that I have no intention of selling.

Exactly, I know if I wait it out long enough I can get more for my rejects but why bother?

I use the money to add new keepers that make me happy, whether Raw or Slabbed that I have no intention of selling.

Yep. I have a buddy (who is also a forum member) who holds onto everything he gets like grim death. I spent a few hours last weekend digging through 20 or so longboxes he had stacked in a corner of his house. Most of it was total drek, but he won't dump it. Will some of that stuff end up being hot at some point in time? Sure and he will make close to 100% profit on it, since he gets a lot of his stuff for next to nothing. In the meantime though, his computer room looks like you crammed an entire comic shop into a 10 x 10 space. But he could care less, and doesn't mind holding onto a ton of stuff. I am the opposite. I like a streamlined collection that is easy to look though and move. Is either of us right or wrong? Nope, just two completely different ways of collecting. His will be more profitable, but mine is less of a headache.

If our hobby is still around in 20+ years and going strong, I think my little man will be in pretty good shape from what he will inherit, if our hobby crashes then he will have hours upon hours of great reading 27_laughing.gif

If our hobby is still around in 20+ years and going strong, I think my little man will be in pretty good shape from what he will inherit, if our hobby crashes then he will have hours upon hours of great reading 27_laughing.gif

Maybe you should intermingle a few cases of wine with great aging potential so that he can something to drink in either event... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey, it's better to let inventory sit, with the pipedream of making 100% profit, than to settle for 30%-50% profit.

Not when you can turn that book over and use that money buy something else in order to make another 30-50% profit, turn THAT book over....repeat, repeat, ect, ect.

In the time it takes him to sell one book for 100% profit he could have flipped half a dozen books using his original money. confused-smiley-013.gif

I meant to put a sarcasm emoticon after my statement, but I figured it was obvious. I guess people don't know me well enough yet. smile.gif

I meant to put a sarcasm emoticon after my statement, but I figured it was obvious. I guess people don't know me well enough yet. smile.gif

foreheadslap.gif

You would be surprised how many people agree with your statement though! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif