• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC FORUM TOP BRONZE AGE COVERS - Final List, Thought, Impressions

89 posts in this topic

I'll pick Comic A. My 36 million friends will pick comic B.

ok BS

so i guess in the face of 36 million friends, ur opinion is right? gawd the arrogance.

maybe u don't realize that JC's infinite analogy is trying to make a point.

THE POINT: (since you don't seem to have figured it out yet)

a ranking based solely on a first-place-tally can lead to erroneous results.

capiche? or are you going to debate this point?

i think BS is a shill.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think Conan 20 beats Avengers 93 (which didnt get a first) - and while I agree that the weighted system may be more representative further down the list when the voting is sparse - I still think a straight 5-4-3-2-1 weight problematic (It essentially counts two 3rds as being worth more than a 1st) had I set a weighted poll I would have ascribed values to the weights.

Yes, a better way would have been to have a larger spread in the weights to prevent something like that from happening.

One way might be to choose a series of prime numbers for the various weights: It does amplify the effect of the 1st place votes, and while it doesn't eliminate the possibility of ties, it does reduce their likelihood, since two lower-place votes would never exactly equal the value of a higher vote:

First place is worth 11

Second place is worth 7

Third place is worth 5

Fourth place is worth 3

Fifth place is worth 1

That said, it was a fun contest! Thanks Jason & Scott! thumbsup2.gif

I love this place cloud9.gif27_laughing.gif

I think all the feedback this poll generated is proof that this was a very cool and immensly successful poll. We all have our own opnion, and in case any of you are interested but i'm sure your probably not, I think wrightson's art trumps all and if he were here now i'd not be typing this as i'd be too busy licking his ____! hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif That being said, that's to Jason & Scott for keeping us coming back. thumbsup2.gifyay.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think Conan 20 beats Avengers 93 (which didnt get a first) - and while I agree that the weighted system may be more representative further down the list when the voting is sparse - I still think a straight 5-4-3-2-1 weight problematic (It essentially counts two 3rds as being worth more than a 1st) had I set a weighted poll I would have ascribed values to the weights.

Yes, a better way would have been to have a larger spread in the weights to prevent something like that from happening.

One way might be to choose a series of prime numbers for the various weights: It does amplify the effect of the 1st place votes, and while it doesn't eliminate the possibility of ties, it does reduce their likelihood, since two lower-place votes would never exactly equal the value of a higher vote:

First place is worth 11

Second place is worth 7

Third place is worth 5

Fourth place is worth 3

Fifth place is worth 1

That said, it was a fun contest! Thanks Jason & Scott! thumbsup2.gif

I love this place cloud9.gif27_laughing.gif

I think all the feedback this poll generated is proof that this was a very cool and immensly successful poll. We all have our own opnion, and in case any of you are interested but i'm sure your probably not, I think wrightson's art trumps all and if he were here now i'd not be typing this as i'd be too busy licking his ____! hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif That being said, that's to Jason & Scott for keeping us coming back. thumbsup2.gifyay.gif

Correction: Thanks not that's. Sorry! I'm drunk! thumbsup2.gifheadbang.gif