• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Creepy #9 - Frazetta cover

6 posts in this topic

I need a little help grading this mag.

It's a great cover by Frank Frazetta and the book includes a fanzine sketch by Berni Wrightson. The front cover looks great with just one crease to TRC and extremely light wear to the spine corners.

But the big problem is that back cover!!!!! How much will fingerprints drop this book?

creepy9.jpg

creepy9b.jpg

Hey, tough book in high grade to be sure. Is there a scratch front cover right in the center going thru the P in Creepy going toward the middle of the book? Plus the fingerprints and plus the small crease? I still want to say VF 8.0, but this is not a certainty for me.

Dan

Hey, tough book in high grade to be sure. Is there a scratch front cover right in the center going thru the P in Creepy going toward the middle of the book? Plus the fingerprints and plus the small crease? I still want to say VF 8.0, but this is not a certainty for me.

Dan

Yep, a very light scratch. No indentations along the line, but it doesn't look like a production defect.

This book is gonna be a keeper regardless of the grade....just trying to figure if I made a decent deal or not. I'm thinking that I paid full guide value for the book...which isn't terrible considering the overall desireablility of the mag, another one probably won't be popping up too soon. .

If I was selling it, with the scratch and the color loss, I would call it a 7.0. It's a very sharp 7.0 though. Like Dan said, this is a REALLY tough issue. I need to find one myself.

Not accounting Fingerprints; With the Corner crease, few light spine ticks, I think you have a VF/NM 9.0. Though That scratch I think would drop the Mag to a VF 8.5

Fingerprints are hard to judge; for me personally, that front looks great so me as a buyer would enjoy getting that book for VF prices, since the cover looks VF/NM.

So I gave it a VF+ 8.5 without Fingerprints, I think technically it would drop down to VF- 7.5 with those fingerstickers.

Nice book regardless. I still haven't pinned down CGC's grading on magazines.

A year ago I sold some Monsters Unleased mags. A Monsters Unleashed #1 as a NM 9.4, and a Monsters Unleashed #4 as a NM- 9.2.

Both books same page quality, complete interiors, etc. The MU #4 just had one more spine stress then I thought a NM 9.4 should have.

The buyer sent both books into CGC.

The Monsters Unleashed #4 I graded as 9.2 came back as NM 9.4

Though the Monsters Unleashed #1 I graded as 9.4 came back as VF+ 8.5

I was stunned, but was happy that he at least got a higher grade on the #4.

To summarize, CGC must have seen something with that #1 which really docked it. Though the buyer and I both agreed that it was a nearly flawless book Minimum 9.2 by CGC standards).

You just never know! That's why I dont' buy CGC books just by thier graded #'s. I must see a full front and back scan of ANY book before commiting to it with big cash. Because I've seen CGC 9.4's that I'm not too fond of, and seen CGC 8.5's that I'm very fond of.

#'s don't always tell the story...

-bounty