• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice On Handling Large Number Of Books

12 posts in this topic

Looking for advice on handling, archiving and indexing a large number of books.

What precautionary measures do CGC use for instance while grading books? In particular things like gloves to avoid finger prints. Pulling out and inserting books into Mylars, etc.

Comicfucious say:

"When he is wanting to be the most careful is when he makes the most mistakes"

Fingerprints do knock the really high grade stuff down a notch so wearing gloves isnt a bad idea on those IMHO. You will want to use the latex variety so you still have enough dexterity with your hands. Advice: when putting the latex gloves on shake them out well and put them on well away from your book as many of them have a slight powder residue which you dont want on your comics.

Other than that I dont bother doing anything extraordinary.

Maybe someone else will have more to offer.

Artboy99

Comicfucious say:

Fingerprints do knock the really high grade stuff down a notch so wearing gloves isnt a bad idea on those IMHO. You will want to use the latex variety so you still have enough dexterity with your hands. Advice: when putting the latex gloves on shake them out well and put them on well away from your book as many of them have a slight powder residue which you dont want on your comics.

Other than that I dont bother doing anything extraordinary.

Maybe someone else will have more to offer.

Artboy99

Thanks for that Karl. Very helpful. Wasn't sure exactly on which type of gloves to use but latex is probably the best bet all round.

Truer words have never been spoken! 893whatthe.gif

I would definitely recommend a nice uncluttered workspace. I was switching out my Weird Wars into mylar the other night and ended up putting a small tear into a super nice Rosa book, b/c I wasn't laying everything out on a table and being careful enough. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Actually i just had a freaky thought. Anyone who has seen "Se7en" would know what i mean.

Cutting off the tips of your fingers to avoid leaving fingerprints is going just a bit to far. And I guarantee you get blood on the books.

:P

Artboy99

Actually i just had a freaky thought. Anyone who has seen "Se7en" would know what i mean.

Cutting off the tips of your fingers to avoid leaving fingerprints is going just a bit to far. And I guarantee you get blood on the books.

:P

Artboy99

Not to mention after the wounds healed the skin would probably still transfer oil.

What precautionary measures do CGC use for instance while grading books? In particular things like gloves to avoid finger prints. Pulling out and inserting books into Mylars, etc.

the most important...have fun!!!

regards

Try sandwiching the book between two boards when sliding into the mylar.

If tape removal from old bags is involved,get rid of it at once.DO NOT leave any stray pieces of tape anywhere,or I assure you the single most expensive book you have will find it.

Try sandwiching the book between two boards when sliding into the mylar.

If tape removal from old bags is involved,get rid of it at once.DO NOT leave any stray pieces of tape anywhere,or I assure you the single most expensive book you have will find it.

Thanks. That 2 board idea is great. Never thought of it before. I hate the "thumb mark" at the top centre of a book that has been inserted and taken out of a mylar half a dozen times. I had thought of some kind of tweezers but that sounds even better.

Any tips on once you've taken the contents of a box out and then reinserting them back inside one at a time? They have this knack of falling over flat unless there is something holding them. I've always used the old trick of laying the box on it's front and then laying each book flat so once the box is full again you can just lift it up. However im worried about the pressure on the books at the bottom of the pile.

I recommend cotton photographic gloves. These are thin white cotton gloves that are used in photo labs for handling prints and such. I worked for years in that industry handling expensive C-prints to the latest forms of digital imaging and these gloves are easy to work in and completely safe for the media they come in contact with.

The only question is, where to get them. Check local photo places to see if they sell them or if they can give you a supplier. Good luck.