• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 1993 Sotheby's Comic Books and Comic Art Auction Catalog - aka A MUST READ

17 posts in this topic

Thanks to Rob Larsen at www.comics.drunkenfist.com he posted a link to an auction by BakertownCollectibles of 6 different Auction Catalogs (4 Comic and Comic Art, 2 Americana) for a starting bid of $9.50.  For some strange reason, no one else bid so I won.  With shipping, it wound up being around $20, which breaks down to a little over $3/catalog.

The 1993 Sotheby's Comic Books and Comic Art Auction Catalog is the first catalog I have sorted through, and I'm only about 20 pages in but it's insane.  Highlights include:

- all 12 Watchmen covers (est. 20K - 25K)

- the 1st pg. splash to Justice League #1 (est. 2.5K - 3.5K)

- the Adams cover to Superman #233 (est. 1K - 1.5K - seriously, I would trade my collection for this cover - please make me put my money where my mouth is - does anyone know where this cover is?  PM me)

- a great Kirby action page from Hulk #5

- a beautiful Wrightson Frankenstein plate

but my favorite so far is lot #131:

"Neal Adams - Detective #400, page 17.  Together with three original pieces of comic artwork comprising Carmine Infantino Detective #359 pg.1 splash page, Mike Kaluta's Detective #428 cover, and Frank Miller's Hunt the Dark Knight, pg. 39.  Est. 1K - 1.5K"

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what they mean is DKR #3, pg. 39, which happens to be an awesome gun battle page between Batman and the Joker...y'know...just thrown in there for good measure with an Adams page, an Infantino splash, and a Kaluta cover.

Also, this is the auction catalog where most of the White Mountain collection was sold off.  Who discoverd that collection?  And the big deal is the WM AF #15 being auctioned (est. 14K - 17K) after being the first SA Marvel to sell for 10K (at San Diego no less.)

Does anyone have any stories from this auction??  I know a lot of the major players were there...perhaps a few could share some stories or PM me.

If you ever get a chance to get this catalog...it's definitely worth it.

Thanks!

Who discoverd that collection?  And the big deal is the WM AF #15 being auctioned (est. 14K - 17K) after being the first SA Marvel to sell for 10K (at San Diego no less.)

Does anyone have any stories from this auction??  I know a lot of the major players were there...perhaps a few could share some stories or PM me.

In regards to the comics questions, Jerry Weist was the guy who "found" White Mountain (it literally walked into his shop.) The WM AF15 sold for $40,000 at that auction.

That's one of the best comic auctions of all time. It's definitely the best Sotheby's auction.

My notes on the same catalog

"I just ran through the catalogue briefly on the treadmill this morning and I came across a few notables (including a book that I really, really, really want to get my hands on):

The Original Art for the Covers to Watchmen 1-12. Do I need to comment? What a display that would make in my living room.

The Marvel Comics #1 Pay Copy. Yes the famous "$1,000,000" book. As a note to anyone that thinks that CGC cornered the market on strict grading, the book (a CGC VF/NM) was graded at VF 84 at the time of this sale...

Neal Adams' cover to Superman #233.

The #2 set of Gaines File Copies

The White Mountain Amazing Fantasy #15. Memorable for being the the first $10,000 Silver Age book.

The White Mountain Fantastic Four #1. Again an example of tight grading before CGC came along. All grades (they offer several opinions) fall below the CGC NM- 9.2 that the book currently sports. A truly beautiful copy though. Just a stunner.

and finally... The White Mountain Daredevil #1, a book that I would kill to own. "

- the Adams cover to Superman #233 (est. 1K - 1.5K - seriously, I would trade my collection for this cover - please make me put my money where my mouth is - does anyone know where this cover is?  PM me)

What do you think these would be worth on today's market? 15-25K for each Watchmen cover and 40-50K for the 233?

What do you think these would be worth on today's market? 15-25K for each Watchmen cover and 40-50K for the 233?

Although they would be nice to own from a historical point of view, I can't really get too excited about the OA to the Watchmen covers. After all there's not really that much art to them is there? confused-smiley-013.gif

Although they would be nice to own from a historical point of view, I can't really get too excited about the OA to the Watchmen covers. After all there's not really that much art to them is there? confused-smiley-013.gif

True, though the cover to number two is pretty cool.

Watchmen 1-12. Do I need to comment? What a display that would make in my living room.

I think Gareb prefers them on his living room wall. The price was pretty decent, considering what X-Force #1 went for. Damn us all for filling his pockets! It's always been a crappy magazine.

They're thoughtfully designed, well executed images that, taken as a whole, evoke the breadth of the Watchmen series. There's more depth and thought to them than in ten complete stories by most artists and that, to me at least, means a lot more than someone who might be exhibiting more virtuosity on something with 1/100th the intellectual intent. I'd say there's a LOT of art there, personally hail.gif

Of course, as always, your mileage may vary thumbsup2.gif

I think Ken Danker owns the Supes 233 cover.

I was at Ken Danker's place a little over a year ago and leafed through near enough all the art he had. Never saw this cover there.

I seem to recall hearing that Tom Horvitz owns it . . .

I was at Ken Danker's place a little over a year ago and leafed through near enough all the art he had. Never saw this cover there.

I seem to recall hearing that Tom Horvitz owns it . . .

I did see it in his online gallery back in the late 90s. Whether he still owns it is another story.

That is not correct

Then it might be the guy that runs TRH Gallery.

Uhm . . . TRH = Thomas R Horvitz

Uhm . . . Thanks yeahok.gif. What does the R. stand for? poke2.gif

Uhm . . .haven't got time to check right now as I'm in bed with your wife wink.gif

Maybe later 893scratchchin-thumb.gif