• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody stocking up on mags?

34 posts in this topic

I hear all these rumours that CGC is going to be slabbing magazine size comics. Anyone stocking up on high grade while they are cheap? What's hot? What's a good read? I've been thinking of picking up some Deadly Hands Of Kung Fu as they are the only Bronze karate title I don't have.

The only comic magazine I collect is Warrior. I have a few that are what I'd call F+, and a few that I would call VF/NM. I currently only have one double, so when CGC gets around to magazine grading, I'll send it in to see how it compares w/ the comic grading.

Chris

some guy who might like a particular model/cover whatever - will have a reading copy. they may also want to have a HG 9.8 copy for wall display or something.

i have a single japanese penthouse of a star that i really like (vivian hsu) which i got off ebay. i paid about 60 for it raw (it's in about VF+). i'd definitely pay big $$$ for a HG slabbed, now that i have a reader.

some guy who might like a particular model/cover whatever - will have a reading copy. they may also want to have a HG 9.8 copy for wall display or something.

i have a single japanese penthouse of a star that i really like (vivian hsu) which i got off ebay. i paid about 60 for it raw (it's in about VF+). i'd definitely pay big $$$ for a HG slabbed, now that i have a reader.

Somehow the term "reader" for a penthouse doesn't sit right. Wouldn't it be more correct to say you now have a "looker".

Back to the topic........I have a lot of high grade Warrens but I have some real gaps in my vamps and eeries. I am going to try and get them before slabbing hit. I have no intention of slabbing the books I already have.

Hehe, I wonder how CGC will note mysterious "stains" on penthouse pages/covers. 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

they wont......

Thise pages will be stuck together 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifgrin.gif

I hear all these rumours that CGC is going to be slabbing magazine size comics. Anyone stocking up on high grade while they are cheap? What's hot? What's a good read? I've been thinking of picking up some Deadly Hands Of Kung Fu as they are the only Bronze karate title I don't have.

i have 48 copies of fugitoid #1 in NM/MT waiting to be submitted slowlyacclaim.gifand some bizarre adventures 28 cloud9.gif

No...but when CGC does start slabbing magazines, more high grade copies of most every comics related mag is going to come out of the woodwork than people expect. We've all talked about hoarding or distributor copies of comics out there but there are piles of untouched magazines sitting in dealers warehouses. Everybody got 'em, Koch, Dolgoff, Chuck, etc. And it's not just Marvel, they've got Skywalds, Warrens, and Monsters of Filmland.

With that said, I sure do wish they've been hoarding Seaboard's Gothic Romances. I really need a copy bad..... grin.gif

Jim

doesnt that book show up pretty often on eBay?

When I heard it was very tough to find, I tried that same day and saw two of them for sale. I didnt jump on them since it seemed to be a lot more common than it was thought! Or was it just a coincidence??

"Cream to Off-White Pages"

...more like "Cream on soiled pages"

and...I concur:

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

Course some Pedigree copies (like Cage) might sell for Huge bucks, you know, cause of the celebrity DNA included free!!!

Supa: "What's good in the magazines"

Same criteria as regular comic's money issues. Go through the guides and compile the lists. First and early appearances, key artists, key villain and hero appearances. I wouldn't worry about the KDK inventory. As soon as the "hot" issues are delineated and codified by the prices paid at auction after CGC starts slabbing them, the money issues will be sucked up fast leaving a huge vacuum of perspective buyers that pulled the trigger too late looking to "get in", same as the early CGC generated Silver age high grade market did in the first 2 years of CGCs inception. Also, if CGC ever starts to slab these:

Famous Monsters #1 - 25

Playboy 1953 through 1957

Mads #24 through 50 plus the early Special with ALL THE EXTRAS still intact..

The prices on these items that are ALREADY of great value in high grade, will go through the roof (a NM FM 1 is probably a $10,000+ book, a NM PB 1.. roughly the same!).