• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

large lot of bulk comics for sale (88 long boxes)

43 posts in this topic

Ok for the skeptics here is a more detailed explanation. I own a comic/sportscard shop ,I purchased a large amount of longs to open with. I seperated away all the extras (I keep out no more than 2 copies of any strong selling back issue and 1 copy of slower titles) The boxes are eating up space in the store that I would like to use for gaming or more display space for other merchandise. There is no Valiant at all, very little early 90's Image and no heavy duplication. Books range from 1970's to 2004 and all titles are represented. In other words I didnt cherry pick out the X-Men books and leave you with Elflord, Darkhawk etc. This would work best as a startup store stock for a shop but you could certainly do a dollar comic business with it as well. There is also a good amount of books from 2000-early 2005 These I sell for $2 ea in the shop as most stores have very little backstock from the past few years. Usually when you buy bulk its loaded with heavy duplication and tons of early 90's drek and its not in order , there is no heavy dupes in this and dont underestimate the labor costs to organize 30,000 books. Most issues 1-3 copies there might be a few isolated books where there is a bit more duplication (mostly X-Men stuff) All the boxes have lids and are in alpha numerical order with exception of 11 longs of indies which are somewhat in order. This is not a fire sale, if someone can use them cool if not I typically restock a 1000 books a month out of this so eventually they will get sold. If I didnt answer anything else send IM or post on the board I'll try and read later.

Most local comic shops have less back issues now for a reason. 88 boxes. takes up about 150 sq. feet of floor space. They are $1 and $2 for a reason - they are in low demand. Since you still have a retail store, I doubt you are getting rid of high demand product. Why would any smart comic shop owner want to take up an at least of 10% of his floor space with something that will not make up that much of his weekly sales? A person trying to open a new shop would be your best bet.

An ebay seller would have to sell in large lots in order to justify the fees involved. Even if you could get $25 to $30 a box, you need to buy at $15 to make a reasonable profit. Don't forget how much labor is involved with 88 boxes of comics and selling them in manner at all. $15 a box is only $1320, which is what dealers who buy bulk pay on average. That is if it is not Valiant, Image, Topps etc.

I have already explained the logistics involved with moving the product at cons. Let's say it is great product and people swarm it to buy it at $1 each. There is still a ton of work involed with transporting, setting up, and selling this comics. Not to mention after one con the alphanumeric order will be shot to h&ll.

$1000 is a low price. I offered what I would need to get it at in order to justify the purchase as a good investment sight unseen. Plus I would probably go up from that especially if it is quality stuff. I hope you get what you want for it. I am only 2 hours from Gainsville and have the means to transport it. I would be willing to come and look at it. Maybe $5000 is a good price.

"books are packed tight with no bags/boards more like 340 per box. includes from a to z"

come to think of it, i think i prefer unbagged/boarded. I'd rather get the 300-340 comics than 220-240 bagged/boarded comics. It's not like I'd be B&Bing anything but the good stuff anyway.

Well no doubt about it, running a dollar comic business at shows is a lot of work. But......... markup is great You sell books at $1 ea , 50 cents ea, $2 ea you make a heck of a lot more than turning over new books at half off cover or collections of better books (unless you told granny her golden age was birdcage liner like some dealers do) Space wise in my shop I do well with back issues but thats because I sell em all for $1 or $2 not try and get guide for everything People are much more likely to fill that Conan run at $1 each than buying by guide prices.

My LCS says if they could have anything show up at the door it would be dollar books and low grade Silver Age. This is the material everyone can afford and buy. Dollar books are purchased for .10 each, which would put 30,000 books right at $3,000.00, for what it's worth. $1,000.00 puts it to low at .033 cents a piece.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Based the original $1000 offer on a guesstimate of 20,000 books plus expense to pick up. I also made that offer assuming that many would be comics from 1991 - 1995 that will not sell for a dime to anyone, anywhere, anymore. Based on what the seller has added and there are 30,000 comics, I would probably go to $3,000, although I don't have a comic shop to sell them at.

Although, the seller him(her)self stated that they wanted to get rid of the comics to make room for other merchandise. Which still hints that the bunch may not be very moveable even at $1. Plus this seller's store is in a college town, meaning there is a constant influx of new customers to buy these dollar books. Any other shop with mostly regular customers can not move this product once the regulars have seen it and picked through it.

"I also made that offer assuming that many would be comics from 1991 - 1995 that will not sell for a dime to anyone, anywhere, anymore."

I don't know about that. I suspect a lot of the 91-95 the stuff could move at 4/$1 (or more for X-Men, Spideys, etc.), but the effort in selling them would probably make it not worthwhile. You're often not selling to collectors, you're selling to, gasp, people who might actually be buying them just to read them! Heck, I'll buy sharp ASM, X-Men and Wolvie from that era for 25 cents each all day, as well as some of the Hulks, some Vertigo and a few others. I've even sold some of those sorts of books on ebay for $1-$3 each over the years. Someone is looking for Spidey 372 to complete a story arc of whatever.

I was able to get rid of most of my image books, malibu and the few overprinted valiant (a total of about 1 1/2 long boxes, no bags/boards) books I owned simply by mixing them into mixed lots with a couple of items that people might be mildly interested in (a few bronze books I had 8 copies of, a beater silver age, etc.). Depending on how the wind was blowing, the lots got 15-30 cents a comic. Was it worth my time? Probably not. I guess I was hoping for one of these overbidding scenarios to finally happen to something I was selling.

An entire store stock of over 400 boxes recently sold here in town for just under $6,000. Is there junk in those boxes? Of course, but they were in order and included several common 12 centers all the way up to current months issues.

I think the actual quantity plays a role in this. I mean hobby dealers really don't have the means to transport this much bulk w/o renting a van or small truck. Being in order actually hurts it as there is no way you are bringing 88 boxes of $1 stuff to a show. That's 10 6 foot tables. You would have to build boxes for shows which adds more time.

96 and up stuff sells great for a buck each and you can sneak in a few core titles from 91-95. I just think this would sell a lot faster in the $2,000 - $3,000 range. But you never can tell unless you look at it.

The 400 boxes for $6,000 sounds dirt cheap. But then again, how many people can deal with 400 boxes? Aside from transport, if you don't have a big empty garage or big dry basement, you could be spending $150-$200+ a month for storage space for these in some areas. I have the equivalent of perhaps 60-70 long boxes amassed over the last 30 years and am overwhelmed. Sure, they'll fit in an 8 X 10 room, but 400 boxes? Eegads!

"That's 10 6 foot tables. You would have to build boxes for shows which adds more time."

One of the dealers at last weekend's NYC mini-con seemed to have like 20 tables. And remember, you can put boxes on the floor too.

Also, you can widdle the 88 boxes down to a smaller set of "show stock", getting rid of extra dupes and totally unsellables.

The 400 boxes for $6,000 sounds dirt cheap. But then again, how many people can deal with 400 boxes? Aside from transport, if you don't have a big empty garage or big dry basement, you could be spending $150-$200+ a month for storage space for these in some areas. I have the equivalent of perhaps 60-70 long boxes amassed over the last 30 years and am overwhelmed. Sure, they'll fit in an 8 X 10 room, but 400 boxes? Eegads!

All those boxes and maybe 10 lids. 27_laughing.gif

"That's 10 6 foot tables. You would have to build boxes for shows which adds more time."

One of the dealers at last weekend's NYC mini-con seemed to have like 20 tables. And remember, you can put boxes on the floor too.

IMO floor stock sells at about 25% of the rate of table top. 20 tables just seems like a huge risk to just bring $1 books. I mean they would have to be pretty strong just to get table back. Then what do you do when your fellow dealers have .50 cent boxes or heaven forbid 3 for $1? confused-smiley-013.gif

Also, you can widdle the 88 boxes down to a smaller set of "show stock", getting rid of extra dupes and totally unsellables.

No doubt. But sometimes you'd be surprised at what sells at a $1. I was just saying that being in order really isn't all that important when there is more than 20 or so boxes. I mean don't get me wrong its better than unsorted at all, but nothing that commands a significant premium (esp since there are no bags and boards) If I bought these I would TRY to make 3 different 20 box inventories A-Z of strong $1 and the rest for 3 for $1 or maybe .50. But that takes time and is not fun to do.

What I find more surprising is what DOESN'T sell for $1! I hit a long box some guy has been picking through and figure it is going to be barren, but it's still loaded with goodies. Many people are only interested in what they're looking for and the fact that something that could be easily sold on ebay for $10 is priced at $1 is irrelevant. They're not looking to re-sell. (And I'm not necessarily either, but if I know something could be flipped for a big hike, that makes it a fun purchase even if I have no intention of doing so.)