• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

Various examples of Platinum books from 1905 - 1932.

The two issues of Comic Monthly, early 1920s, in the upper right represent the first monthly "comic book" and was also priced at ten cents. This series started the basis for our modern comic book which did not appear until 1933.

DSCN3181.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

Looks like you have two comics too many. Better give a couple of them to me so you can have a more croppable group shot.

5561282127_005f868e6c_b.jpg

or you can just pile 'em up as if you were busy reading in the middle of the pile!

I want to dive right into that pile. :cloud9: Another reason why I prefer collections in mylars, diving into a pile of slabbs would be painful.

These are from 1904 - 1913 and some are incredibly difficult to find.

DSCN3174.jpg

Wow! Great books!

Repeat after me... "Platinum Age books have no value. Nobody should collect them. Nobody wants them..."

You are right that the humor in some books is dated. But some have timeless humor that still provides great reading today.

All from 1917:

DSCN3170.jpg

and those are all by Segar aren't they. I have seen a few of those but unfortunately didn't buy them. The more Popeye I read, the more Segar art I want to see.

Edited by BB-Gun

DSCN3174.jpg

Wow! Great books!

Repeat after me... "Platinum Age books have no value. Nobody should collect them. Nobody wants them..."

You are right that the humor in some books is dated. But some have timeless humor that still provides great reading today.

Those are great books. I have a few but they are tough to find in nice condition.

All from 1917:

DSCN3170.jpg

and those are all by Segar aren't they. I haven't have seen a few of those but unfortunately didn't buy them. The more popeye I read, the more Segar art I want to see.

Some of the Charlie Chaplin books are not that difficult to find, and sometimes not very expensive (less than $100).

DSCN3174.jpg

Wow! Great books!

Boot, I keep saying that very comment but with one slight modification:

"Platinum Age books have no value. Nobody should collect them. Nobody wants them... so why the heck do I keep buying them all. Don't tell the wife, don't tell the wife. Oooooo, look at the pretty pictures."

:hi:

Mark, you've put together a great group of early books! In the old days, I could go to several comic cons and not find a single one of those books. I think that eBay and the articles about the early books have helped make them more available, which is great, as I think they played a seminal role in our hobby. Congratulations!

6714145295_dfea95a14f_b.jpg

I picked up an early Centaur with a story by Dan Gormley and noticed he also did the Howdy Doodey drawings I had recently purchased. Then I found his name associated with the Four Color 178 cover. Usually I can recognize his art on the New Funnies covers but I am sure he did a lot more work for Dell. Anyone have more information about him?

IMG_0445.jpg

Looks like you have two comics too many. Better give a couple of them to me so you can have a more croppable group shot.

5561282127_005f868e6c_b.jpg

or you can just pile 'em up as if you were busy reading in the middle of the pile!

I want to dive right into that pile. :cloud9: Another reason why I prefer collections in mylars, diving into a pile of slabbs would be painful.

The unslabbeds are as cool as the slabbeds! (I see a copy of Worlds of Fear in there....one of the toughest pre-code horror books...)

All from 1917:

DSCN3170.jpg

and those are all by Segar aren't they. I have seen a few of those but unfortunately didn't buy them. The more Popeye I read, the more Segar art I want to see.

Here is a sample of Segar's artwork from the book Charlie Chaplin's Funny Stunts that was also published in 1917.

charliechaplin1.jpg

charliechaplin2.jpg