• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New York Comic stores

26 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I fly out to New York tomorrow for the first time - do any locals have some advice for me regarding stores?

I am interested in high grade bronze/copper and OA specifically, and any suppliers of egerber mylars/boards (save some on shipping i hope!)

Thanks in advance

flowerred.gif

Have fun in NY! Had a great time their visiting from England in 2004.

Didn't come across any comic stores but was offered at least 50 fake Rolex watches!

If you are staying for a while i would say get the supplies from Russ as im sure they can get them to you in New York super quick.

The most accessible would be Mid-town Comics (2 locations)

40th and 7th (Time Square area) or 45th and Lexington Ave (Grand Central Area)

Jim Hanley's Universe

33rd and 5th avenue (Empire State Building Area)

A less commercial place would be The Time Machine

207 west 14th and 7th ave

Metropolis Collectible is only by appointment and there is no browsing (pickup only). You could order ahead of time via their website.

metropolis

873 Broadway, Suite 201

Good Luck

Metropolis Collectible is only by appointment and there is no browsing (pickup only). You could order ahead of time via their website.

metropolis

873 Broadway, Suite 201

Good Luck

Although, Metropolis has killer OA and other vintage collectibles (movie posters, etc.) displayed all over their offices. I'm sure they'd be happy to let you oogle their stuff for a while if you call in advance.

There are surprisingly few shops in Manhattan. At least half, if not more, went bust in the 90's. There used to be 3 in my neighborhood (of 300,000 or so people) including one of the Koch brothers shops and Funny Business (a former OPG advisor) and now there are none. As my friend who owned the other shop learned after 25 years in the business, it is hard to pay Manhattan rent selling funny books.

With that said, Time Machine on 14th Street, among the places listed, has a nice selection and is most likely to work with you on price. They also have some OA. The manager there, a hispanic guy with a mustache (last time I was there) is a nice guy. Roger, the owner, is almost never there. I would not try to negotiate with any of the other employees other than the manager because I'm pretty sure they won't. One problem is that the books aren't marked with prices, so you have to go over them with him, look them up in OPG, decide on a grade, decide on a discount, etc. But they do have a good selection.

Matt - you don't think Time Machine has any high grade bronze or copper? I think they have bins and bins of it, bagged, boarded and in alpha numeric order. I wouldn't make a special trip, but if he is wandering around Chelsea and the Village anyway, it is right there.

They also have a big dollar bin, but it's kind of mayhem and you can spend an hour finding 5 books you actually want to take home.

Matt - you don't think Time Machine has any high grade bronze or copper? I think they have bins and bins of it, bagged, boarded and in alpha numeric order.

I go there almost every Wed. and trust me... They are NOT in numeric order. I literaly have to go through the entire box just to make sure i didn't miss something!

And he just started a new section of coppers, which is a good thing.

I'll scout it out today. Need some bags 'n boards and they're cheaper than the place I usually go to (which is not really a good place for getting discounts on vintage material, but has a good overstock box)

I flip through the bins and have seen plenty of HG books over the years, but I'm not out there paying a premium for those books (I just like to charge a premium!), so I haven't really looked closely. The bulk probably are F/VF, as they are anywhere, but there have to be sharpies out of the thousands of books.

They (time machine) keep the good stuff (silver/golden) behind the counter in mylars. The bronze/copper/modern decent stuff will be on the walls....

Although I recently found an Avengers Annual 10 that appears to be a 9.6 in the bins.. $15 yay.gif