• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how do you feel about shill bidding?

44 posts in this topic

I can understand how a person who bought a book for 400 and it sells at 200 can feel. I dont do shillbid. Just one time in the last 5 years on one specific auction. I still own the book and probably will forever.

I only hate shill bidding when the people who are doing it are doing it on auctions I am interested in.

it seems to happen quite alot.

I know who buys Batmans and who has the Batmans. I know who the real buyers are on Ebay. So i recognize the shills immediately. Especailly since I have been buying and selling Batmans for 7 years on Ebay.

Of course you always recognize the shills when it is something you want to buy.

I dont mind overpaying here and there on an auction but it bothers me when I see these bidders and I know they are shills.

I can understand how a person who bought a book for 400 and it sells at 200 can feel. I dont do shillbid. Just one time in the last 5 years on one specific auction. I still own the book and probably will forever.

I only hate shill bidding when the people who are doing it are doing it on auctions I am interested in.

I know who buys Batmans and who has the Batmans. I know who the real buyers are on Ebay. So i recognize the shills immediately. Especailly since I have been buying and selling Batmans for 7 years on Ebay.

I dont mind overpaying here and there on an auction but it bothers me when I see these bidders and I know they are shills.

WTF? You only dislike shill bidding when it personally affects you? I really hope you didn't mean it that way...

WTF? You only dislike shill bidding when it personally affects you? I really hope you didn't mean it that way...

Obviously it is most noticeable when it is in an auction you are personally vested in. We know enough folks on here and what they are interested in that one can say that linking auctions on ebay to announce them here and having forumites bid on them can be interpreted in the extremest sense as shill bidding.

Obviously it is most noticeable when it is in an auction you are personally vested in. We know enough folks on here and what they are interested in that one can say that linking auctions on ebay to announce them here and having forumites bid on them can be interpreted in the extremest sense as shill bidding.

SHILLER!

Careful how you speak to me or I will poke your eye out. flowerred.gif

As far as shill bidding is concerned I dont mean it where I only care when it applies to me. I mean it always seems to happen on the book I(you,everyone) am interested in.

SHILLER!

yay.gif

Careful how you speak to me or I will poke your eye out. flowerred.gif

As far as shill bidding is concerned I dont mean it where I only care when it applies to me. I mean it always seems to happen on the book I(you,everyone) am interested in.

Gotcha. flowerred.gif But then I don't notice it on books I'm not looking at either. poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

You down with OPP?

Yah, you know me.

Like the new avatar. 27_laughing.gif

1582.gif

On topic... shilling is nefarious. It may be suspected, but is hard to prove in some cases. Some bidders apparently enjoy bidding up auctions instead of sniping. Other times, it seems pretty obvious and is off-putting.