• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The scarcity of early bronze DC's......where the hell are they?!?

85 posts in this topic

thats what I was gonna say..!!

Those Adams books were so spectaculary different from anything else that I destroyed them by reading them again and again. They were my prized books from that time...and I should have rebought them before this in high grade. They may be the Frazettas of the Silver Age.

I have a small stack of comics left from my childhood (they miraculously escaped a mass dumping from Mom). Among them are several of those Adams books. I collected Super books and Batman books only as a kid, so I had lots. A book that didn't escape the dump was the Superman/Flash race -- a favorite story of mine as a kid.

But man, I abused my comics like crazy. Back then, they were for reading. And I'd go to my friends' house and read theirs, then they'd come to my house and read mine. We'd often act them out, too -- playing all the roles, following the pictures and dialogue like a play. I even had a Superman costume that Mom made so that our plays looked better (we were all girls, so we had to cross dress. My friend Kitt and I traded off playing Superman and Lois Lane. Her little sister usually got stuck playing Jimmy Olsen, which she hated. The middle sister usually played the villain -- a much more interesting role than Jimmy. She was so funny, she'd always play it to the hilt).

Kitt grew up to become an opera singer. I remember seeing her perform at the Met and thinking, "What would this sophisticated NY audience think if they knew she used to pretend to be Lois Lane?"

Even though I've sold nearly all the silver age books I collected after rediscovering comics, that original stack of books is off limits. They all have the note "MINE!" on the tape, and will never go on ebay. Not that any of them are worth squat, due to condition. But even if they were NM, there are some things more important than money. I bought those books off the newsstand, and they're staying MINE forever.

-- Joanna

One of my original Bat books. A 15 center (and oh, how those extra 3c HURT at the time!) with a Neal Adams cover.

Batman220.jpg

What!?! You read your books! Even my childhood books weren't that trashed! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This is by far one of the better-looking books. Partly because it was a 15 center (bought it later) and partly because it was a Bat book, and I never read those as often as my Super books. My Lois Lane comics are completely thrashed. I'll have to find a good one of those and scan it so you can truly be horrified.

-- Joanna

One of my original Bat books. A 15 center (and oh, how those extra 3c HURT at the time!) with a Neal Adams cover.

Batman220.jpg

i didn't read your post, but i was thinking, that's a neal adams cover?!? acclaim.gifcloud9.gifrantpost.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Greggy, be sure to post the results of your big CGC DC submission.

Care to give a preview of what you're sending in? wink.gif

Here you go, Greggy. A genuine kid's comic book. Thoroughly thrashed due to repeated readings. Must've read it a hundred times. I loved the "Hush, Hush, Sweet Lois" story. But the story that gives this book value in Overstreet is the openiner -- part 2 of the 1st silver age Catwoman appearance.

LL71.jpg

Here you go, Greggy. A genuine kid's comic book. Thoroughly thrashed due to repeated readings. Must've read it a hundred times. I loved the "Hush, Hush, Sweet Lois" story. But the story that gives this book value in Overstreet is the openiner -- part 2 of the 1st silver age Catwoman appearance.

LL71.jpg

Pfft....even my copies looks better! sumo.gif

And in case you're wondering, that Lois Lane 71 is NM 9.6! It misses being a 9.8 due to a crease in the lower right corner. Otherwise it's a beauty! Because the Hulk film is due soon, this will ONLY increase in value!

-- JoannaWizard

LL71.jpg

You can tell you've cherished your comics. Your comics are the mark of a true comics collector! grin.gif

Jim

Really, high grade DC's are snapped up first? This is news to me and I'm usually the one making the grab for high grade. First, please look at the source. Mark Wilson loves DC's, he has made a large investment in them. Now compare his Marvel stock to his DC stock. Not quite the same. I agree there are some great DC keys but overall there are also a lot of Dead title DC's and I don't care how nice they are.

The real DC's that are tough to find are the years 1958-1961. Now that would start a feeding frenzy among dealers. And being that I just picked up a collection of that type of material I know how hard it is to get.

A couple of more points about HG DC's. A previous poster questioned where are the HG Pedigree books. Let me just say that I have a number of Bethlehem books from marvel, dell, gold key etc and they all grade at 9.2 or higher. Now for DC I have:

3 B&B

3 Batman

and I also have 3 Mohawk Valley (2 Hawkman and 1 B&B)

The highest graded of these is 8.5. Yes I will say it again 8.5.

My Bethlehem B&B #54 is a Fine+.

Surely we can't say that he handled or strored his DC's different than the rest of his collection ???

As for Showcase. I have bought a number of CGC'd DC's from them and the highest graded has been 9.0. Obviously he must be testing the market with the lower end books from his hoard.

The Bethlehems were all over the map...but many of the runs were VERY nice: Flashs-es, Mystery in Space 53-70, many Showcases.....But some runs were so-so or spotty: Strange Adventures 1-50 and Mystery in Space 1-50

Thanks for the link Murph. I just checked it out, and he happened to have one of the books I thought I wouldn't see in grade for a long time, so I picked it up. Census says 1 9.2 0 9.4 and 1 9.6, so it's pretty lucky that I found this one. 893applaud-thumb.gif

detective%20402.jpg