• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man of Steel RRP TPB?

8 posts in this topic

A buddy of mine just picked this up and I confirmed with Ian Levine that it's the same variant that he paid $750 for a few years back. Anyone have any info on this? Print run? Anything?

http://cgi.ebay.com/046-SUPERMAN-MAN-OF-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Okay, here's the deal with that "RRP." It's not truly a Man of Steel RRP edition. It's a raffle/gift/prize edition given away to winners of a raffle held after Man of Steel was released. There are very few of these in existence and very few still have the letters with them. I own one with a letter. When I contacted Paul Levitz at DC, he said he had no knowledge of DC ever giving any of these away and said he did not know they were ever created.

But, here's what I've gathered from retailers who actually won copies themselves: A raffle was held and DC gave these away to only a few winners and their retailers. The book contains complete issues (covers and ads and all) wrapped inside a generic blue checked cover with the large Superman "S" shield on it and the creators' names. I've seen a grand total of seven of these since they were released back in the 1980s and I bought two and another friend has one.

This is not truly a RRP, although, it was given away to a few retailers as a gift for their services.

The first RRP trade paperback edition issued by DC is the Batman: Blind Justice trade paperback that was released right after that series-inside-a-series ran in Detective Comics. It is similar to the Man of Steel edition in that it collects complete issues inside one cover and is very, very rare.

I traded my Blind Justice copy to Ian for $500 and $250 in trade (or something like that). I still have one left. I've seen only four of these since it's release and I bought two.

Ian's original bid price was $1000 on the Man of Steel, but he complained to the guy that the price was too high and got it down to $750.

The Overstreet Guide has been reluctant to increase the price accordingly and to correct the listings, but it took me several years of notices to get them to correctly list the Miracleman Gold and Blue editions. I've turned in lots of information on these "RRP" trades and Overstreet hasn't corrected their listings.

Oh well, I'll keep trying...

And the edition shown in the eBay listing is exactly what the RRP editions look like. The listing, however, is incorrect, in that it states these were released based upon copies ordered. These, as both the customer and retailer letters included with the Man of Steels state, were only given away as raffle prizes. They were never given away as sales incentives nor were they given at a rate of 1 for every 100 copies ordered nor any other sales incentive scenario such as today's variant editions. That wouldn't make it an RRP edition anyway, it would make it simply a variant copy, instead.

That's a steal for this book, though.

Ian feels he overpaid for his, but, he paid what he was willing to give to get what he wanted.