• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America collectors are crazy.

74 posts in this topic

Who's that in your avatar, and when can I have her?

She's mine, I saw her first! 27_laughing.gif

In my dreams anyway... And don't wake me up or I'll kill you! 893censored-thumb.gif

She would look very nice on the front of my avitar. thumbsup2.gif

There is no doubt that Captain America Timelys sell with a fervor that is not seen with many other titles. Even mid-grade copies will very often go for over guide, and sometimes crazy prices at auctions.

What are people's sense as to the demographics of those who are buying these books?

Interesting also that given the continuing interest in the character that the film version did so horribly that it went, as I recall, straight to video without even having been released in theatres. I always found it a little strange given the simplicity of the character that they would have so much trouble creating a hollywood version. I watched the film once years ago on Sat afternoon. Painful. One of the worst films ever.

There is no doubt that Captain America Timelys sell with a fervor that is not seen with many other titles. Even mid-grade copies will very often go for over guide, and sometimes crazy prices at auctions.

What are people's sense as to the demographics of those who are buying these books?

Interesting also that given the continuing interest in the character that the film version did so horribly that it went, as I recall, straight to video without even having been released in theatres. I always found it a little strange given the simplicity of the character that they would have so much trouble creating a hollywood version. I watched the film once years ago on Sat afternoon. Painful. One of the worst films ever.

It didn't deserve even to go to video.....it was so bad.

It didn't deserve even to go to video.....it was so bad.

No disagreement from me. Embarassment to all.

I can see the appeal of GA Captain America - only Batman & Superman are better known characters from the era. Far and away the most popular character from Timely - and while Namor has trouble keeping a title in print, generations of fans have grown up reading and collecting the contemporary adventures of the same Steve Rogers that graced the GA title.

When I was a teenager in the 1970s - owning a GA Cap book felt like owning a piece of comic history in a way few other GA books could accomplish. Also unlike the Action/Superman or Detective/Batman scenarios - If you want to collect Captain America - there is just one title to go for. (USA Comics has an appeal as an more affordable short run - but is not really competition)