• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America collectors are crazy.

74 posts in this topic

I've followed and even bid on several GA Caps over the last six months. They always go too high. So this week I saw a CGC-grade #54 going for cheap because the seller is new with ZERO feedback.

It just ended for over guide. tonofbricks.gif

No comic ever sells for too much, unless there's a shill bidder.

The guide must be low. flowerred.gif

gossip.gif Captain America is the # 1 Timely title collected.

As well it should be. But this is ridiculous. Well over guide from a zero feedback seller. That's just crazy.

Guess it's good thing I'm more interested in GA Detectives.

Who's that in your avatar, and when can I have her?

She's mine, I saw her first! 27_laughing.gif

In my dreams anyway... And don't wake me up or I'll kill you! 893censored-thumb.gif

you simply don't see much of this stuff.

what were timely print-runs compared to DC and Fawcett? 20%? 30%?

I actually GA Captain America is one of my regular eBay searches. There are quite a few up for sale each week.

I agree,alot of these books are buried in collections and won't be up for sale anytime soon.I was also looking at that Cap #54,but got spooked from the 0 feedback,and went to CL instead.I put a bid of $350(guide) on this Cap #50,(it was listed at $450).He came back with a $415 counter offer and I took it.Did I pay too much?Probably,but in the grand scheme of things,that $65 dollars extra I spent will mean nothing when I pull this book out in 10 years.I am willing to shell out the extra cash on a good looking Timely,simply because I don't want to have to wait 5 years for another copy to surface.... confused-smiley-013.gifcap50.jpg

I like that gorilla cover. thumbsup2.gif
At first I didn't really like it,but then it started to grow on me... thumbsup2.gif............what I thought was funny was when this book came out,the war had just ended,and I see the writers really had no clue who Cap was gonna fight now.They probably were in a bar,celebrating the end of the war,when someone said "Hey let's have Cap fight a gorilla and some wicked monks!" 893applaud-thumb.gif

I know two major dealers (and they aren't even "top five" guys but are in the next tier down) who pay guide for Timely Caps. Obviously, they can sell them for more.

Marc

Really nothing new here since I used to remember major dealers paying mutiples of guide for not only GA Caps, but almost anything remotely close to HG GA books. This was especially true with the more popular titles.

Ah, the good old days when GA was red hot which appears to be no longer the case right now, as CGC and it's census has focused attention onto the much more common books which are actually available.

Ah, the good old days when GA was red hot which appears to be no longer the case right now, as CGC and it's census has focused attention onto the much more common books which are actually available.

Perhaps the real reason is that many GA books have simply priced themselves out of the reach of many collectors? It's simply the law of big numbers at work. It's much easier for a $1.00 book to increase by 1000% than a $100,000 book.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I actually GA Captain America is one of my regular eBay searches. There are quite a few up for sale each week."

I don't see any CA auctions up right now although no doubt there are some other Timelys up. Compare that to Batman, Superman or Captain Marvel! Sure, they're out there, as are the other Timelys, but I wonder if my "20-30% as many" (compared to DC and Fawcett) guestimate might be on the money.

Plus, the cover art is SOOOOO much better than the vast majority of DCs and Fawcetts from that era!