• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Los Angeles 2006

2 posts in this topic

For me, WWLA seemed a lot smaller this year than it did in 2004 and 2005. Perhaps it was the Los Angeles Convention Center being the location rather than Long Beach...

Saw a copy of Astonishing Tales #25 and had to pick it up for Deathlok. It's like finding that Canadian candy bar Coffee Crisp at a local drug store and having to buy one for my mom since it's her favorite. I love fueling the crazy obsessions of fellow comic fans.

Got a Strange Tales #126 from Harley Yee for a bit too much money but it was the nicest copy in the room by far. Also got a Strange Tales #123 from High Grade Collectibles that's a major upgrade from my VG+ beater. Gave Brian Michael Bendis a flyer for my Dr. Strange show which is still up in Hollywood til next weekend.

Talked to Flaming Carrot creator Bob Burden and told him I enjoyed the latest fumetti issue. I reminded him I was one of the first people to correctly guess the Carrot's secret identity. (I'm sworn to secrecy!)

Jack O'Halloran, who played Zod's henchman Non in Superman 2 was there at the Superman booth. He seemed nice. It was also neat to see Yvonne Craig as well. Speaking of Yvonne, some of the best costumes of the day were a trio dressed like the TV show Batman, Robin and Batgirl. There was also a decent Ghost Rider, a Black Canary, and a bunch of Storm and Sand Troopers walking around.

The thrill of the day for me was when the good folks over at Metropolis let me hold onto their brand new copy of Action #1. I've never held a copy of the most valuable comic book in the world before. It was pretty awesome actually. When I told my fiancee Jesse about it later, she wasn't nearly as impressed as I was. She just kind of rolled her eyes and asked me if I got "geek drool" on it.

Finally, I signed up with The Collectibles Insurance Agency (http://www.collectinsure.com/). The guy at WWLA who was there with them said my collection would be insured for $65 annually against fire, theft, earthquake and flood. Sounded good to me. Anyone else dealt with these guys before? I really hope they're on the level and if someday I send in a claim they don't burn me.

That's it! Anyone else go?

P.S.: If you're in the LA area and plan to attend WWLA tomorrow, the LA Marathon is happening and traffic to and from the convention center will be a nightmare. Just thought I should let people know.