• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Best/Worst Horror or Crime pre-code story

16 posts in this topic

Ive not read every pre-code horror or crime book but Ive seen my share. What do you guys consider the most graphic or horrible story out there ? It doesnt have to be a good story mind you 27_laughing.gif . Here is mine from Dark Mysteries #13 (I think)

Horror of Mixed Torsos ! Dark Mysteries #13

-

horrorofmixedtorsos.jpg

Ive not read every pre-code horror or crime book but Ive seen my share. What do you guys consider the most graphic or horrible story out there ? It doesnt have to be a good story mind you 27_laughing.gif . Here is mine from Dark Mysteries #13 (I think)

Horror of Mixed Torsos ! Dark Mysteries #13

-

horrorofmixedtorsos.jpg

DM #13 is well worth picking up - great dismembered foot cover and the classic

"Horror of Mixed Torsos !" story which is even more demented in color. Not a particularly pricey pre-code book in my experience.

Ahh,the best......It was from the short lived title "Exposed." I don't recall the issue number. There's a panel where a woman with an axe is splitting the head of a two year old toddler. This one is truly gruesome!!

Ahh,the best......It was from the short lived title "Exposed." I don't recall the issue number. There's a panel where a woman with an axe is splitting the head of a two year old toddler. This one is truly gruesome!!

WOW!! I NEED that!!!!!

WOW!! I NEED that!!!!!

It was not in Exposed, but in D.S. publications Underworld True Crime Stories#3.

I used to have a scan of the panel, but it was on a computer that died. If I have time I'll scan it again this weekend.

Sounds pretty harsh - for any era! Wonder what the heck they thought that story would get 'em...

well - "any publicity's good publicity." Since it was a "true crime" book they could probably sell the salacious stuff under the guise of "revealing the horrible, unglamourous, unvarnished (and very profitable for the comic publisher thankyaverymuch) 'face of crime.'"

:P

It was not in Exposed, but in D.S. publications Underworld True Crime Stories#3.

I used to have a scan of the panel, but it was on a computer that died. If I have time I'll scan it again this weekend.

Thanks! That just went to the top of my list!

Needless to say, I love the over-the-top stuff!

Needless to say, I love the over-the-top stuff!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here's a page from Mysterious Adventures #20, 1954...another one of those really wild pre-code horror titles that was trying to out-EC EC. A tormented wife takes her revenge on her husband, who is a famous chef...

mystpage.jpg

Thanks, guys! ...and since we're in the neighborhood, here's the cover to this book. The Mysterious Adventures title seemed to have a particular fondness for these grinning-skeleton covers. Great stuff!

myst20.jpg