• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worth it?

27 posts in this topic

All the comics are from the last several years, but he says that they are ALL in NM condition - like new.

I haven't seen the collection, so I can't verify that, but my first thought was, "Isn't that what EVERYONE says who's trying to sell their comics???" They look in the price guide, somehow only see the NM column, and assume that it magically tranforms their comics into NM condition. And they don't know that even if they are true NM, unless they're keys, they'll not likely to get full guide value for them.

But if you try to tell them this, you're the bad guy and trying to rip them off. I agree with those who have said that unless most of the issues are something that you're interested in having/reading/collecting, don't bother (unless you're planning to get them cheap and donate them to charity).

I'd pay $50 to not own those comics.

Packing freebies, 50 cent longbox stuffers for neighborhood yard sale, or Halloween giveaways. Rest go to charity for cover price value tax deduction

When people give to comics4kids, is that the valuation they use for tax purposes?

Is donating to some other agency (Goodwill, Salvation Army) any different? Wouldn't a thrift store value be more defensible? confused-smiley-013.gif Just curious for potential future donations.

All the comics are from the last several years, but he says that they are ALL in NM condition - like new.

I haven't seen the collection, so I can't verify that, but my first thought was, "Isn't that what EVERYONE says who's trying to sell their comics???" They look in the price guide, somehow only see the NM column, and assume that it magically tranforms their comics into NM condition. And they don't know that even if they are true NM, unless they're keys, they'll not likely to get full guide value for them.

But if you try to tell them this, you're the bad guy and trying to rip them off. I agree with those who have said that unless most of the issues are something that you're interested in having/reading/collecting, don't bother (unless you're planning to get them cheap and donate them to charity).

Yeah, they feel the first 3 or 4 buyers are trying to rip them off. By the time they run into a 5th or 6th buyer, they finally see the light and let the books go for a song. Maybe even less than what the first couple buyers offered. crazy.gif

it looks like 90% of this is stuff you would fish out of a 50 cent bin at a store or a show, maybe a $1 bin if you don't have 50 cent bins around you.

i wouldn't be overly excited about "NM", 95% of this stuff is SUPPOSED to be NM and, unlike today, comics 10-15 years ago survived on the rack in NM longer, the cover stock or whatever held up better.

sure, stuff like the kingdom come GN and the mcfarlane spideys are worth more than that, but i suspect those make up a small % of the books. if the boxes were that sort of stuff and 40-60 cent cover price marvels/DCs in nice shape I'd go for it, probably, after looking at all of it, though I'd try to go under 50 cents each. I say that because I'd pluck those sorts of books out of 50 cent bins anyway, although if there are a ton of crapola titles (firestorm, arak, gem princess, power pack, power man & IF, later defenders, MTIO, etc.) in there, I wouldn't pay 50 cents even if they are sharp and pre-1986.

what are you buying these for? to flip or to have a lot of reading material and maybe sell what you don't want to keep after you've read it? if to flip, no. once you've pulled out the few books that are worth a few bucks each, you're going to have a lot of stuff you'll have trouble selling here or on ebay in mixed lots for more than 20 cents each, before fees and the hassle of packing them up.

if to read first, maybe, if you can look at some more books, make sure there aren't a ton of dupes, a lot of image stuff you won't read, etc., "first" comics, power pack, new universe titles, bad comico titles, etc., although the price is still too high for that quantity and that quality when there are 50 cent bins out there with similar material where you can pick what you want to read for 50 cents.

Thanks Dr. Neff.

But if I claim $4 for a .60 book, I believe I have to claim the gain. Wouldn't it be similar to donating stocks in terms of appreciation with a basis?

Do you accept drop offs? I have some family in Puyallup which is, I believe, close to your location? In any case, I'll email with more questions. thumbsup2.gif