• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Trading Card Values

73 posts in this topic

Well, I do have a full set of the Spider-man cards from 1992 and the Marvel Universes set from 1993. What about the X-men cards from around then. I know there was a subset that made large foil picture of the X-men. And what about the cards that Wizard use to put into its magazine back in the day? There were like 13-14 total. Any demand for those? Some of them were pretty darn cool. Figure they would be a bit rare as a whole set.

XMen and Marvel Universe and Masterpieces were the original Marvel cardsets. Afetr Jemas came on board, he invented Flair and then, all the rest of the bimonthly cardsets (plus lots of non-Marvel stuff (Reboot anyone?) So yes, your XMen cards and chase cards are similar in demand to the Marvel Universe sets.

It was Marvel Universe 1

XMen 1

Marvel Universe 2

Marvel Universe 3

Marvel Masterpieces 1

GIJoe

and then the onslaught began!!!

Well, I do have a full set of the Spider-man cards from 1992 and the Marvel Universes set from 1993. What about the X-men cards from around then. I know there was a subset that made large foil picture of the X-men. And what about the cards that Wizard use to put into its magazine back in the day? There were like 13-14 total. Any demand for those? Some of them were pretty darn cool. Figure they would be a bit rare as a whole set.

XMen and Marvel Universe and Masterpieces were the original Marvel cardsets. Afetr Jemas came on board, he invented Flair and then, all the rest of the bimonthly cardsets (plus lots of non-Marvel stuff (Reboot anyone?) So yes, your XMen cards and chase cards are similar in demand to the Marvel Universe sets.

It was Marvel Universe 1

XMen 1

Marvel Universe 2

Marvel Universe 3

Marvel Masterpieces 1

GIJoe

Where do the X-Men Series 2 cards fall? I love my Marvel Universe sets. Eventhough they weren't "Masterpieces" I still like the art.

I have most of my favorite Marvel Character's cards placed in a picture frame in my room. My dad used a glue gun to stick penny sleves to the card board back of the frame. Most cards in the frame are either from Marvel Masterpieces I and Flair I.

It was Marvel Universe 1

XMen 1

Marvel Universe 2

Marvel Universe 3

Marvel Masterpieces 1

GIJoe

Where do the X-Men Series 2 cards fall? I love my Marvel Universe sets. Eventhough they weren't "Masterpieces" I still like the art.

Im talking from memory.. but probably between Universe 2 and 3. All these sets listed were SkyBox too. Before Marvel bought Fleer. The first Fleere was Fleer Flair. Marvel Fleer opened up a second wave, a second Card group at Marvel, led by the rambunctious (even then) Big Bad Billy Jemas. He came in guns ablzing with new ideas for LOTSa new sets. (Skeleton Warriors anyone?)

It was Marvel Universe 1

XMen 1

Marvel Universe 2

Marvel Universe 3

Marvel Masterpieces 1

GIJoe

Im talking from memory.. but probably between Universe 2 and 3. All these sets listed were SkyBox too. Before Marvel bought Fleer. The first Fleere was Fleer Flair. Marvel Fleer opened up a second wave, a second Card group at Marvel, led by the rambunctious (even then) Big Bad Billy Jemas. He came in guns ablzing with new ideas for LOTSa new sets. (Skeleton Warriors anyone?)

So as long as the cards we have fall somewhere on that list; it means everyone and their dogs don't have one? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I dunno. Im not 100% positive a nostalgic return will happen for the cards. But they fit the pattern so unless the dire predictions of the entire collecting business going off the cliff soon, they SHOULD get a "look back" as kids try to complete sets they loved or never got way back when.

As for which sets? Harder to tell. Maybe the early sets will parallel Valiant which seems to really have a valuable era (pre-Unity) and a mass-produced later period. So Marvel Universe 1 might get the nod, except that it was so cheaply made, and looks pretty slapped together. The first real SURPRISE hit (even though it was produced in limited edition numbered boxes!) was the first Marvel Masterpieces. By Jusko. That set really caught everyone's attention--- and finally was a REAL Marvel cardset that looked classy and treated the characters like the Gods they are in the comics. Thats the one with the comics covers on the backs....showing their first cover appearances. Later sets showed the interior page panels they first appeared..

I think if you ask people which set is the best, or most noteworthy for its time, that would be it. But like I said yesterday, being a 90s collectible, you will have to choose between 9.2/9.4s and 9.8/9.9s to buy for "investment" which IMO queers the deal. The best ones will be too pricy, and the lesser ones too common to pay for.

pics please?! anyone?!

regards

Nothing comprehensive....but here are some sample cards from the 5 sets that I had collected back in the day.

1994 Marvel Universe

Cartoony front artwork

Power Rating Stats on the back + Origin story

1162557-94wol.JPG

1993 Marvel Masterpieces

art by misc. but alot of it is by Bill Sicz., who is a great artist, but his work doesn't translate well for all characters.

back has panel art from comic...overall pretty slim pickings on back.

1162560-93wolmm.JPG

1994 Marvel Masterpieces

art by the Hildebrandt brothers...great stuff

back has a blow-up of characters' face and story by the Brothers Hildey as to their inspiration for the art(interesting).

1162561-943wolmm.JPG

1993 Marvel Masterpieces

art by misc. but alot of it is by Bill Sicz., who is a great artist, but his work doesn't translate well for all characters.

back has panel art from comic...overall pretty slim pickings on back.

1162560-93wolmm.JPG

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

which are the best card sets of marvel?

do you have some pics from the silver age card set?! i'm thinking on getting it...does someone advice it?!

regards

I don't see how collecting comics/cards could go anymore in the toilet than it did in the early 90s.

What is this? $400

I'll agree on that set, makes me wish I had kept mine. Not all stuff from the early 90s was garbage, but the mass production (mainly baseball cards and comics) really hurt the collectibility factor from that period.

1994 Marvel Masterpieces

art by the Hildebrandt brothers...great stuff

back has a blow-up of characters' face and story by the Brothers Hildey as to their inspiration for the art(interesting).

1162561-943wolmm.JPG

Are these worth anything? I beleive i have the whole set. Or is it just beautiful artwork and nothing more?

I'm suprised the Hilderbrant brothers didn't do any more comic book work with the exception of X-Men 2099 Oasis one shot. Or did they?