• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unethical?

42 posts in this topic

Is it unethical to take a comic that CGC has detected restoration - crack it out of the case, and sell it raw saying you believe teh book may have a slight color touch?

Does anyone think it would be worth doing selling-price wise, anyway?

I tend to think even with the qualification - it would sell for more unslabbed just because of the amazing stigma that comes with the purple lable.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

If you come right out and disclose the restoration? It'd be completely ethical. You would simply be selling a restored comic book. Anything less than full, up-front disclosure and it would be unethical, in my opinion.

Yeah... if you know it has resto, or cracked it out from a purple label slab.. you should say... "you know its restored because a professional detected it", not "suspect" or "think"... IMHO.

If its a very valuable book, why not see if the "slight" CT/resto can be removed without impacting the grade excessively. Maybe a unrestored version 2 grades? lower will sell for more than a raw restored copy. I'd check into it at least and consult a resto pro as to the cost and possibility. If its not worth much, don't bother, we all take losses sometime or another.

Is it unethical to take a comic that CGC has detected restoration - crack it out of the case, and sell it raw saying you believe teh book may have a slight color touch?

I believe it would be unethical, especially if the person doing it was not conversant in color touch detection...otherwise to say "I believe the book may have slight color touch" would be a lie as there is no background for the seller to make such a statement.

Now what would be ethical would be:

1) If the person is, in fact, truly conversant in color touch detection, and they HAVE examined the book, and called CGC for their grader notes in the hopes of what areas to look for, and could not detect color touch (regardless of whether CGC actually revealed where it was)

OR

2) If the person called CGC for their grader notes in the hopes of what areas to look for, sent the book to a reuptable restorer, and asked them to examine the book for color touch, including any info from the grader notes

AND

The entire cover was examined under both scenarios listed above

AND

The selling of it raw explained that CGC detected a color touch, the book was unslabbed, but neither Method 1 or Method 2 revealed any color touch:

THEN

It would be ethical.

smile.gif

Right....

Well I guess if I have to ask - I really know the answer and just hope some people would talk me into doing the wrong thing....

It's just the damn purple label - they don't sell unless it is a AF 15 or X-Men 1....

See now if I were Bugaboo...... 9.8 PRISTINE MINT Unrestored - and use some shill name like "BUSHSBUTTBABY" so no one would know when I swindled them.

Right....

Well I guess if I have to ask - I really know the answer and just hope some people would talk me into doing the wrong thing....

It's just the damn purple label - they don't sell unless it is a AF 15 or X-Men 1....

Actually......as much as I've caught you lying up in the Water Cooler, I'm suprised you're even asking in here. Why put on a false front..........you'll either lie about the book from the beginning or shill bid on it with another one of your accounts anyway.

Right....

Actually......Lie lie lie lie lie lie lie lie....Look! I'm Scrubaboo...not bugaboo...I know for a fact Ubiquiti is a shill bidder...but I'm not Bugaboo...Who's that??? lie lie lie lie Here's my proof...my own word....Bugawho?lie lie lie lie

Weird - thats all i see when you type stuff.

OKay - so assume I disclose fully there has been resoration - do you think the book would sell for more unslabbed or slabbed with the purple label?

I honestly think unslabbed because a LOT of the cgc buyers are very label conscious and your Raw buyer - well- their is nothing except simple observation to detect the restoration and they probably don't care a whole lot if there is a bit of color touch. And they may well ignore many CGC auctions because they feel that the price may be higher than unslabbed.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif It is a strange world!

I'm curious.. let's say you send in a restored book with the notes from the restoration professional that performed the work. Would CGC grade the book, note the restoration w/ purple label, and send back both the book and the restoration notes..or does CGC just toss the restoration notes and assume that since the book has a purple label that's good enough?

Brian

OKay - so assume I disclose fully there has been resoration - do you think the book would sell for more unslabbed or slabbed with the purple label?

depends on the grade. Mid grade raw is better, lottery mentality. high grade, i think slabbed would still be better as people will not be willing to risk a huge dollar amount on two variables 1) if CGC or buyer misses resto, and 2)getting it in the grade advertised

i.e. i would rather have a purple 9.0 than a raw resto in high grade with the chance no one catches it.

Yeah thats what I thought.

The book is a Tomb of Dracula 1 - 9.0.....

It is actually almost flawless looking - but is the most mis-cut book I have ever seen in my life - the top "Marvel Comics Group" banner that runs along the top of the book is almost cut in half the alignment is so far off....

Does anyone think it would be worth doing selling-price wise, anyway?

I tend to think even with the qualification - it would sell for more unslabbed just because of the amazing stigma that comes with the purple lable.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

The "restoration" should be disclosed 100% goodevil.gif

One of the best ways to answer ethical questions would be to think how you would feel if you were on the receiving end. Would you enjoy buying a book on ebay that you later found out had been slabbed and purple-labeled, yet the seller had sold it raw and only hinted at possible restoration? Would that feel fair to you as a buyer?

Every seller should think like a buyer. "If I bought this book, what would I like to know about it?" Usually the answer is, "everything."

-- Joanna

Personally, I think that ANYONE who would sell any book that has not been CGCed and is still in the confines of the slab should be eviscerated alive. There has to be a way to make the sale of non-CGC items illegal. And I don't just mean comics. I mean EVERYTHING on earth, possibly the planet itself if CGC could somehow create a slab large enough to house it and a grading table large enough to place it on. We can only keep our fingers crossed. Only problem would be how to assign the blue or purple label!

CGC "bubbles" for people to walk around in? Bubble Boy Earth!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Seriously, though, cgc has made it a safer hobby. A little less fun sometimes, but safer and we'll all the better for it.