• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Is Happening With The Ewert Trimmed Books?

87 posts in this topic

Hopefully years from now people take a more nostalgic view of this entire episode,

Define nostalgic

Ya know... that warm and fuzzy feeling you get whenever you think back to the times you were ripped off, scammed and conned in days of yore. cloud9.gif

Hopefully years from now people take a more nostalgic view of this entire episode,

Define nostalgic

Ya know... that warm and fuzzy feeling you get whenever you think back to the times you were ripped off, scammed and conned in days of yore. cloud9.gif

Well I was up for a $2800 fall on a single book thanks to Ewarts deceptions, but CGC have come up with a solution, implemented it, and a refund process was established. No one is out of pocket that I'm aware of barring Tom 'I was conducting arms-length transactions with Ewart' Brulato.

So unless you want to cry me a river over some shipping charges, and a bit of grief (no more than a normal week at the office for some of us), we can actually take it as a lesson well learnt for those on both sides of the delaing fence. A wake up call that nothing except 100% straight dealings will be tolerated, and for Joe collector "if it's too good to be true, it usually is".

Can someone explain to me how CGC came to be in possession of these books?

They were sent in to get checked for trimming and CGC isn't sure what to do with them? Just a guess.

The majority were not resubmits for trim checking, they were found in the humongous pile of Brulato/Ewart books that were on CGC's premises when the micro-trimming issue went public. Something like a 600 book submission if my recall of the old threads discussing this is correct. CGC would know exactly how many books were in that submission and how many CGC decided were trimmed extra sweet.

I actually find these numbers to be very worrisome.

If CGC is holding onto approximately 100 Ewert trimmed books and the vast majority of these came from the 600 book submission sitting in CGC's backlog, this represents about 15% of the total submission. If this 15% factor is correct, then shouldn't we expect around 15% of Ewert's earlier submissions to be similarly trimmed since Ewert had been using this micro-trimming technique for awhile.

Since Ewert had possibly thousands of books out in the marketplace, there must be a awful lot of trimmed books still sitting out there in blue slabs. Wouldn't surprised me at all if a lot of these has not already been cracked out and laundered into new untraceable blue slabs with brand spanking new serial numbers.

Especially since CGC cannot detect this micro-trimming with any degree of accuracy unless they have been told in advance that the book is a resubmit from a Ewert collection.

The Ewert books should be keep together and displayed somewhere where such as Heritage, Geppi's Gallery or some other major venue.

It could serve as a Hall of Shame and evidence of what not to do.Would make a nice display since most of these books were of high grade.

It is short sighted to think of simply destroying the lot of them.

Focus on something positive please, how can we improve things, where can we expand security, and interest in the hobby inclusively, and beyond CGC. These are the theme's that should be most impressive on our minds right now. CGC are certainly taking that approach. Their survival is our survival, they are not mutually exclusive.

Well spoken...I think I'm going to cry...