• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storage of CGC Books

13 posts in this topic

Sounds like Bruce has the best idea..store them on their side with the spine pointing down. Maybe, put foam seperators inbetween if you're doing shelves or something? Don't know..

Brian

Here was my suggestion from another post...

I've been storing them sideways, spine side down in magazine boxes. It seems to me that the spine side is the most stable side to have the book resting up against something... if it has to be. Usually, I carefully tap the book away from the left edge a bit anyway... and then set it down. I've yet to find the book slide all the way down so it was actually resting against it... unless it was a tight fit from the get go. I've looked closely and have only once seen any signs of damage to one of my books caused from the inner well. The only exception was a PMIF 66 9.6 that was miscut (in the correct use of the term as I understand it... not cut evenly so the book is asymmetrical not a rectangle). In addition that book had a cover overhang that was crimped down because the "miscut", uneven shaped comic would not fit in the inner well properly. I think CGC is aware of this now as I've heard of many books that have been rejected for slabbing due to these characteristics. I've handled no more than 10 books total that were loser than they should have been, but even those, resting spine side down have not shifted all the way to the edge when i've checked if they had room to be tapped away from it.

I also tap the comic away from any edge prior to storage (if it was up against it when purchased).

Anyone else store their CGC's this way... and/or manipulate the positioning of the comic within the well prior to storage?

I was thinking if I made custom cabinets, I could have individual slots for each book and lay them flat. The biggest issue with that method is space.

How irritating is it that we can't stand the holder vertically? Maybe when the magazine size holders come out, I can reholder my books in hard mylars inside the CGC case. grrr mad.gif

I was thinking if I made custom cabinets, I could have individual slots for each book and lay them flat. The biggest issue with that method is space.

How irritating is it that we can't stand the holder vertically? Maybe when the magazine size holders come out, I can reholder my books in hard mylars inside the CGC case. grrr mad.gif

I bought CGC boxes from Bill Cole and they are placed in vertically. I guess I'm storing my CGC books wrong??

Yes your right! The box makers need to update the way they think about storing comics in boxes. I've been storing mine on thier sides for as long as I can remember (topic for another thread) and all of them are in excellent condition. Whenever I get any graded they come back with high grades. I think the only reason the boxes are as they are, is because, it makes it easier for people at stores and cons to go through the boxed books. But for long term storing you should lay them on thier side. I've found either spine side or open page side work well. But I believe the spine side is best.

I have about 20 CGC copys and have them laid on their backcover down, that way it is less pressure on any of the edges.I have not tried on the side with spine face down but depending on how much gap there is in the holder it could cause that part of the comic to warp....maybe?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif

goodevil.gif

I lay the half dozen or so CGC books I have on their backs............for four hours. Then I flip them so they can rest on the other side. I do this every four hours, even during the night (I set my alarm). I drive home from work (40 mile round trip) at lunch to "flip" them. I also lightly dust and buff them no less then once a day.

On weekends I lock them up in a blast proof footlocker and take them for a ride into the mountains. I take them out and lay them on the grass (still locked in the foot locker of course!) and I spread out a blanket for us to sit on. I then "share" a bottle of wine and some cheese (when I say "share" I mean that I drink and eat it all) with them as we enjoy our special time together. Sometimes I get so excited I have to touch myself in a special way.

After our picnic we like to drive by the Salvation Army soup kitchen and laugh at the homeless people.

God I love my CGC comic books. I just wish I had more time to spend with them. cloud9.gif

I display my books in my collection room in my basement. I have the CGC books framed w/a little synopsis of the time period and story. The room also serves as a game room, and has posters pics etc. Comic theme!

What's the point of collecting books if you shove them away and never look at them? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

I lay the half dozen or so CGC books I have on their backs............for four hours. Then I flip them so they can rest on the other side. I do this every four hours, even during the night (I set my alarm). I drive home from work (40 mile round trip) at lunch to "flip" them. I also lightly dust and buff them no less then once a day.

On weekends I lock them up in a blast proof footlocker and take them for a ride into the mountains. I take them out and lay them on the grass (still locked in the foot locker of course!) and I spread out a blanket for us to sit on. I then "share" a bottle of wine and some cheese (when I say "share" I mean that I drink and eat it all) with them as we enjoy our special time together. Sometimes I get so excited I have to touch myself in a special way.

After our picnic we like to drive by the Salvation Army soup kitchen and laugh at the homeless people.

Hey, you do that too? 893Funny-thumb.gif