• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where are all the Action #1's?

55 posts in this topic

I've only seen one instance where the evidence strongly suggests you guys missed restoration. Here's a link to the thread which describes it:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=comicgen&Number=157982

The big question I have about the comic in that thread is--was there a way to detect the restoration you guys apparently overlooked, or is the cleaning, pressing, and cover removal the scans suggest undetectable? I don't know the answer to that question, but it looks like a big issue that needs tackling over the upcoming years.

"The erasure of anything is not considerd resto by CGC, Overstreet, or any major dealer I know."

Question 1:

So if I were to take a eraser and lightly erase some of the dirt from the back of my comic would this would be considered OK?

Question 2:

Do you consider the Action 1 I linked to a mistake in grading?

Keep in mind Cgc does NOT guarantee any grade. Their professional graders do their best effort to guaranty the grade. Hence, they as the 3rd party, can make no mistakes as it is only their OPINION. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Keep in mind Cgc does NOT guarantee any grade. Their professional graders do their best effort to guaranty the grade. Hence, they as the 3rd party, can make no mistakes as it is only their OPINION. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well...it's my opinion that your opinion that their grade is just an opinion is opinionated... insane.gif

Question 1: So if I were to take a eraser and lightly erase some of the dirt from the back of my comic would this would be considered OK?

As far as "OK" meaning the book would not receive a restored label, I believe it would be "OK". However, ye olde eraser would cause some degree of surface damage to the cover gloss/inks, so it might actually lower the grade below what it would have been if you would have left the surface dirt alone.

Use wonderbread instead!!

What's the purpose of Wonder Bread..is it to solely remove "dirt"? I would think foxing, pencils, inks, store stamps, etc. couldn't be removed that way. Have you personally tried it? Do you have before and after pics?

Shawn

Dr. Banner, I agree with you, just interested in what the responses will be. Wonderbread??

Please explain how this works? I'm interested!!!

I think one of the biggest problems here is discussing the full disclosure of the book.

In other words,... what work was done on it in the past? Judging from some of these photos CGC needs to work harder on this important issue. Just some friendly advice. As to the Action 1, I notice a higher degree of what I would consider overgrading on golden age books. I am hoping that CGC will look a little more closely into this matter.

smile.gif

No, I've not tried it as I prefer wheat bread wink.gif, but you're correct in that it would probably not remove pencil marks, inks, or store/date stamps. It might remove foxing/mold above the surface of the paper, but not any stain left in the paper itself. The claim is that it works "wonders" on surface soiling/dirt.

I believe Old Guy was going to do some experimenting and show us some b4/after pix, and someone else did show the results, and they were quite dramatic!

My question with this whole Wonder Bread thing is :

1.) Would't the oils in the bread eventualy do more harm to the book than good?

And....

2.) Does it have to be Wonder Bread...could you use say Tip Top or Tastee or perhaps??

Jonny D. confused.gif

Yea but going over the mistakes is useful because it's how you improve by brainstorming ways to prevent them from happening in the future

That looks like a pressing(light spine roll removed?) and a brighter scan. What else am I missing here? confused.gif

Restoration seems to include:

• Pressing, including the removal of several non-color breaking spine stresses. Is it possible to press out spine stresses without removing the cover?
  • Cleaning. Not only is the scan brighter, but there are a number of stains missing on the "after" slab, including one on the spine between the staples, closer to the bottom staple and just across from the woman's hand. Back cover also appears to have been cleaned the upper-right, where there are one or two marks missing from the "after" picture.
  • Cover appears to have been removed. Note that the staples rest differently in the "after" pictures, as does the wrap of the cover; the "after" picture very clearly has a worse wrap than the "before" picture, with more of the back cover showing on the front for the 9.4 version than for the 8.0 version

Besides light pressing, trimming, and cleaning, it seems to me that cover removal can also be undetectable if the staples are replaced in a very careful way.

This seems to be the frontier of semi-legitimate modern investment-inspired restorative techniques--do as much undetecable light work as you can do to knock your 8.0s or 9.0s up a few notches. Are these types of light pressing, cleaning, and trimming all undetectable? That's the question to ponder...I doubt that the evolution of detection techniques has reached its zenith.

We all know that not many exist, but where are they? I know Harley Yee has a trimmed frown.gif one on his site, another restored one on Metropolis, and a few have passed through heritage in the past year. But where are the rest, and will we see any of them for sale at some point soon or are they in with the lost ark?

Interesting reading, the discussion of pressing so long ago.

That looks like a pressing(light spine roll removed?) and a brighter scan. What else am I missing here? confused.gif

Restoration seems to include:

• Pressing, including the removal of several non-color breaking spine stresses. Is it possible to press out spine stresses without removing the cover?
  • Cleaning. Not only is the scan brighter, but there are a number of stains missing on the "after" slab, including one on the spine between the staples, closer to the bottom staple and just across from the woman's hand. Back cover also appears to have been cleaned the upper-right, where there are one or two marks missing from the "after" picture.
  • Cover appears to have been removed. Note that the staples rest differently in the "after" pictures, as does the wrap of the cover; the "after" picture very clearly has a worse wrap than the "before" picture, with more of the back cover showing on the front for the 9.4 version than for the 8.0 version

Besides light pressing, trimming, and cleaning, it seems to me that cover removal can also be undetectable if the staples are replaced in a very careful way.

This seems to be the frontier of semi-legitimate modern investment-inspired restorative techniques--do as much undetecable light work as you can do to knock your 8.0s or 9.0s up a few notches. Are these types of light pressing, cleaning, and trimming all undetectable? That's the question to ponder...I doubt that the evolution of detection techniques has reached its zenith.

This post was ahead of it`s time. Good call fantastic_four!

^^