• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alley Awards in the Silver Age

9 posts in this topic

One of my areas of collecting interest is books that won awards from the fans or the pros of the time (some of you may remember my post in the Bronze forum on the ACBA Shazam Awards of the 1970s).

I recently came across a list of the fan awards handed out from 1961-69. There were a few surprises. I'll post the list later this weekend, but thought it might be fun to guess about a couple of particularly surprising years:

Can you guess what stories won in 1965 (comics published in 1965)?

Can you guess what stories won in 1966 (again, published in that year)?

The Alleys generally distinguished between short stories, full-length stories, and-- in some years-- extra-length annual stories (for example FF Annual 1 won in that category in 1963)

So what won in 1965 and 1966? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

(sure, you could look it up without too much trouble, but what's the fun in that?)

Cheers,

Z.

So what won in 1965 and 1966?

Probably some zany Batman story? 893whatthe.gif

Jim

lol! No, in fact in the 1967 awards, Batman had the dubious honor of winning "Strip Most Needing Improvement!"

No, a Marvel story won in 1966, I was just a bit surprised which Marvel story the fans (actually the fanzine editors) liked best in that year.

Cheers,

Z.

nah not batman for 1966 I'd say first Silver Surfer in FF #48

Ericc123

What I would have thought, but no. And it wasn't FF #51 "This Man, This Monster" either. confused.gif

Alley Awards listing.

The somewhat surprising results:

Best story: Showcase 55

Best Giant comic: T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents 1

Best short story: Tales of Suspense 66 (Origin of Red Skull)

Best story: Amazing Spider-Man 39

Best short story: Flash Gordon 1

The results are particularly surprising in 1966 because of the Marvel books that did not win:

the Silver Surfer trilogy FF 48-50

This Man, This Monster FF 51

the Master Planner Ditko Spider-Man stories

Instead, the first Romita Spider-Man wins, for the book that revealed the Green Goblin's secret identity. Also surprising is the award for King Comics' almost-forgotten-today Flash Gordon series (with great Al Williamson art). In fact, Flash Gordon won again in 1967!

Here's a summary of all the winners (complete details on web site above)

Best story: Flash 123

Best story: Mystery in Space 75

Best short story: Amazing Fantasy 15

Best story: JLA 21-22

Best Giant comic: FF Annual 1

Best short story: Strange Tales 114 (Human Torch/Capt. America x-over)

Best story: Avengers 4

Best Giant comic: Amazing Spider-Man Annual 1

Best short story: Flash 148 (Doorway into the Unknown)

Best story: Showcase 55 (Dr. Fate / Hourman team-up)

Best Giant comic: T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents 1

Best short story: Tales of Suspense 66 (Origin of Red Skull)

Best story: Strange Adventures 205 (first Deadman)

Best short story: Flash Gordon 4

Best story: Silver Surfer 1 and Brave & Bold 79 (tie)

Best short story: Strange Tales 168 (the Steranko Nick Fury story)

Best story: Silver Surfer 5

Best shorty story: Tower of Shadows 1 (Steranko's At the Stroke of Midnight)

Cheers,

Z.

I was always pleased that Tower of Shadows won Best Shorty Story!! But I forget who got Best Shorty character that year? laugh.gif

How soon we forget!!!!

Don't you remember the HUGE controversy when "No Award" won for Best Shorty character of 1969??? The Atom had lost his book by then, and-- at the last minute, dadgummit-- Ant-Man was disqualified due to his extra-curricular activities as Giant-Man. By the time Doll Man was revived in 1973, the whole category was judged way too politically-incorrect. I'm STILL mad about it, can't you tell? boo.gif

stooges.gif

The results are particularly surprising in 1966 because of the Marvel books that did not win:

the Silver Surfer trilogy FF 48-50

This Man, This Monster FF 51

the Master Planner Ditko Spider-Man stories

Instead, the first Romita Spider-Man wins, for the book that revealed the Green Goblin's secret identity. Also surprising is the award for King Comics' almost-forgotten-today Flash Gordon series (with great Al Williamson art). In fact, Flash Gordon won again in 1967!

I think ASM #39 winning is very appropriate. It had shock value going for it. I do think FF #51 is a more poignant story though. A great "Done in One" comic!

Never seen the Williamson Flash. May have to try to pick some up.....

Jim