• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How low can Marvel go???

77 posts in this topic

Man, this really pisses me off. I didn't realize he stole this much work. And I didn't have a problem with him before.

Any others that you can list? He's supposed to come to Denver this year. If he does, he's going to get an ear full.

Pat

I'm the same way Pat. I didn't really mind his work, until now. I had no idea about all these "swipes."

swipes or no swipes, this fella simply can't draw!!!

marvel went down in flames with this one...please don't make mine marvel, i'm waiting for someone overthere to realise they should be producing great comics with those great characters!!!

regards

It's like a car wreck - you just can't look away. The latest from Joey Q on this:

NRAMA: Joe, Onslaught Reborn…you’ve got one day left, but…just to clarify, this isn’t an April Fool’s thing?

JQ: Nope, it’s been in the works for some time now.

NRAMA: Anything you’d like to add to what Jeph Loeb, Rob Liefeld, and John Barber told us earlier this week?

JQ: Nothing more than it’s going to a fun project and judging by the fan reaction so far, Rob still seems to be the most magnetic guy in comics. Doesn’t matter what he does; the boy brings a crowd with him. No slight to Jeph - who is I believe the stickiest man in comics - but regardless, the outcome is the same, Loeb and Liefeld know how to get people talking.

NRAMA: On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest), rank for us the scale, or importance of some of your recent big events in relation to one another… JQ: Sorry I can’t do that. Each of these projects is important and how I feel may not be how a fan feels. If you love cosmic stuff then Annihilation is going to be more important to you than Civil War. If you’re a die-hard Hulk fan then there’s nothing bigger than Planet Hulk this year. We’ve tried to offer up a little something for everyone, so I can’t really pick.

NRAMA: No doubt the project [Onslaught Reborn] is going to benefit a very good cause, but with the Squadron Supreme-verse crossing over with the Ultimate Universe, and the New Universe returning and now the Heroes Reborn world or dimension coming back, any concerns about too many universes ruining the stew, so to speak?

JQ: Only if the projects aren’t good. That’s the bottom line. The same question could have been asked when we launched the Ultimate Universe or later Supreme Power/Squadron Supreme. Fans migrate towards quality; it’s as simple as that. Give them something great to read and talk about and all will end up just fine. That said, the onus is on us to make sure these projects are the best they can be.

NRAMA: At the same time, does everything need a revisitation? Secret Wars, Onslaught, and even the Clone Saga is getting a nod in Ultimate Spider-Man…why the looking back?

JQ: You forgot Avengers: Disassembled, which we’re revisiting after Civil War. But, in the case of Secret Wars and the upcoming Ultimate Clone Saga and Disassemble, we’re merely borrowing the names from these stories. Let’s face it, Bendis and Del’Otto’s Secret Wars had nothing to do with the original. So, I guess you can say we’re using familiar names as marketing hooks, but they’re certainly not a look back in any way. Onslaught Reborn on the other hand is a revisiting to that Universe and Jeph and Rob doing some unfinished business.

NRAMA: Interesting choice of words as diehard comic news fans and early Newsarama readers may recall “Unfinished Business” is how Heroes Reborn was originally referred to.

here's a good one i hadn't seen before;

rob_copie.jpg

Wow, Sal. So he is just a big fake. Can't even come up with his own original panels. foreheadslap.gif

I remember there being an actual cover that he swiped. The original was (I believe) a Ron Wilson "THING" cover, which he swiped for a cover that had "Badrock"(?) on it. A closeup shot, no less.

I have no problem with an artist paying homage to their favorites, but a swipe is a swipe !!!

And Leifield swipes !!!

You know...I'm looking forward to these comics. It's a guilty pleasure watching Liefeld's art progress over an issue. The inconsistency from panel to panel beats a Where's Waldo book any day. You definitely get your money's worth over a typical Modern comic that you can read in 5 minutes and toss in the box. You could spend an hour finding all the goofs...

Here's an example...Youngblood Strikefile #1

Page #1 - What you see here are the Allies. The girl is named Glory. The flying guy is Super-Patriot, and the Captain America clone in the middle is Die-Hard. The set-up is they are running into a battle with the Nazis during World War II. Note a couple of items. DH has a bag mask over his head and load bearing gear (LBG) on both legs, his shoulders, his chest, and ammo pouches along his belt. SP has a star on his red head band and an eagle across his whole chest and belly.

yspage1.jpg

Page #2/3 - DH now has a full fitting mask on and his shoulder/chest straps are gone. Note the LBG on his right leg. SP has the eagle on his chest but it doesn't run down the front. His mask is now blue. Also, note Glory's red boots.

yspage2.jpg

Page #4 - DH shoulder/chest straps reappear and the LBG gear is now on his left leg in the top panel and missing completely from the lower left panel. At least the mask hasn't changed. Glory now has straps on her boots.

yspage4.jpg

Page #5 - SP's eagle now is along the whole front of his costume.

yspage5.jpg

Page #6 - DH's LBG gear and straps are gone.

yspage7.jpg

Page #9 - DH's shoulder straps disappear. Leg strap now on left leg. And are they now fighting at night?

yspage8.jpg

Page #9 - DH's now has the bag mask on. Glory has lost the strapping on her boots.

yspage9.jpg

And there you have it. You know what they say about a movie being so bad that it's entertaining? Well, trying to find all the continuity glitches in this issue, or any issue Liefeld draws, makes for some great reading. smirk.gif

Jim

rob_copie.jpg

Wow, Sal. So he is just a big fake. Can't even come up with his own original panels. foreheadslap.gif

I remember there being an actual cover that he swiped. The original was (I believe) a Ron Wilson "THING" cover, which he swiped for a cover that had "Badrock"(?) on it. A closeup shot, no less.

I have no problem with an artist paying homage to their favorites, but a swipe is a swipe !!!

And Leifield swipes !!!

Now, that' seems to happen all the time. We always see replications of covers, over and over and over.

rob_copie.jpg

And Leifield swipes !!!

Now, that' seems to happen all the time. We always see replications of covers, over and over and over.

man, you really are trying hard to find an excuse for this non-sense/pointless artistic rampage slaughter...!!! insane.gifmakepoint.giffrown.gif

regards

JQ: Only if the projects aren’t good. That’s the bottom line. The same question could have been asked when we launched the Ultimate Universe or later Supreme Power/Squadron Supreme. Fans migrate towards quality; it’s as simple as that. Give them something great to read and talk about and all will end up just fine. That said, the onus is on us to make sure these projects are the best they can be.

HOLY [embarrassing lack of self control] he just made my argument of why I buy one Marvel title and 15 DC titles for me. Maybe the guy isn't crazy after all. If he was smart he would tank the company and go work for DC 27_laughing.gif.

rob_copie.jpg

And Leifield swipes !!!

man, you really are trying hard to find an excuse for this non-sense/pointless artistic rampage slaughter...!!! insane.gifmakepoint.giffrown.gif

regards

Excuse me? I'm not trying to give Rob an excuse. I was simply making the statement that covers are swipped on a fairly constant basis. Period.

rob_copie.jpg

And Leifield swipes !!!

regards

Excuse me? I'm not trying to give Rob an excuse. I was simply making the statement that covers are swipped on a fairly constant basis. Period.

Again, an homage cover is an homage cover. And when paying "fair" homage, the artist will include it in his/her sig.

But a friggin' swipe is a swipe. Whether covers, individual panels, or entire page layout, Liefeld has a history of swiping.

I do recall an homage he did to Byrne, the X-men # 138 cover, which did, indeed, acknowledge in his sig as an homage to Byrne.

I have not read everything published on Liefeld, so maybe I missed his acknowledge ment of the "THING" cover as his homage to Ron Wilson. Even if he did, by NOT doing it on the cover itself, it is to late. It is a swipe.

And if covers are indeed swiped on a fairly constant basis, that is very, very sad. Back in the day, this would not be accepted.

Personally, I don't mind Liefelds art itself. Not my personal favorite, but readable. Just the all the swipes.

Hell, the dude draws better than me.....

You know...I'm looking forward to these comics. It's a guilty pleasure watching Liefeld's art progress over an issue. The inconsistency from panel to panel beats a Where's Waldo book any day. You definitely get your money's worth over a typical Modern comic that you can read in 5 minutes and toss in the box. You could spend an hour finding all the goofs...

Here's an example...Youngblood Strikefile #1

Page #1 - What you see here are the Allies. The girl is named Glory. The flying guy is Super-Patriot, and the Captain America clone in the middle is Die-Hard. The set-up is they are running into a battle with the Nazis during World War II. Note a couple of items. DH has a bag mask over his head and load bearing gear (LBG) on both legs, his shoulders, his chest, and ammo pouches along his belt. SP has a star on his red head band and an eagle across his whole chest and belly.

yspage1.jpg

[etc...]

And there you have it. You know what they say about a movie being so bad that it's entertaining? Well, trying to find all the continuity glitches in this issue, or any issue Liefeld draws, makes for some great reading. smirk.gif

Jim

Oh come on. It was the colorist's fault. 27_laughing.gif

Words fail me:

Onslaught Reborn

"It’s a return that well, let’s be honest, you probably didn’t see coming.

In November, Jeph Loeb and Rob Liefeld will team for a five part, weekly, miniseries that returns to the Heroes Reborn universe, and brings along the villain who got the whole Heroes Reborn ball rolling. The title?

Onslaught Reborn."

Think we all died just a little reading this....