• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS #29-24

32 posts in this topic

Coming in at # 29 overall with 32 points is FANTASTIC FOUR # 25

We've got the rematch that Marveldom was asking for. yay.gif

Who would win? When you saw this cover for the first time you realized that the THING was going to be in the ultimate brawl as the Hulk looms over him in sheer brutal rage.

1172140-ff025.jpg

On a slightly critical side, this cover might have been better had there not been five CAPTIONS on the cover telling us how great it would be.

Seeing the Hulk vs. Thing on the cover, one doesn't need to be told that there would be

"PAGE AFTER PAGE OF PULSE POUNDING THRILLS"

although it is fun to say that phrase out loud. wink.gif

This cover has a lot going for it. And Jack Kirby was letting us know that the other members of the Fantastic Four would be in supporting roles this time as Ben Grimm was going to be on his own at the front lines.

The pieces of debris that are seen flying through the air tells us that this is going to be messy, and we’ve been given a ring side seat.

# 28 NICK FURY AGENT OF SHIELD # 1 : coming in at 33 points.

Nicky Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 hit the stands 1n 1968 at the time when Steranko was truely hitting his stride. Nowhere else does he better show the strong influence that Will Eisner had on his work. Aside from the title worked into the artwork, the cover is thankfully lacking in the usual Marvel hype boxes. The figures positioned on the cubes pull the composition together into a circle at center, with a wide variety of graphics applied to the cubes themselves. Steranko at play. The run of Steranko covers on this title are one of the best sequences of covers ever. God, that was a good time to be fourteen years old and a comics fan!

Red Hook

1172329-nfs01.jpg

Brad was kind enough to provide the text blurb for this issue.

A great first issue after leaving Strange Tales. 893applaud-thumb.gif

It's funny, but i had three Steranko SHIELD covers in my Top 10... and this great one didn't make the cut. That's how strong this series was. A stunning cover! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hmm thats curious as its not the best ATOM SA Cover IMO - but the significance of the books may have helped it. I guess we will have to see if any other ATOM covers are further up the line.

# 26 JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 112 - which also received 34 votes but had a first place vote which lifts it past showcase 34.

Drawn by Jack Kirby and Chic Stone this cover shows pure strength and power.

The Hulk may have had a rocky start in his own magazine but he is idealy suited to being a huge guest star.

1172450-jim112.jpg

You can almost feel the tension being applied to Thor's hammer. Although that tension is contained in a small area of the cover it seems to be more than enough to hook your interest.

This book is a must have. Giving us a behind the scenes second look at an earlier matchup of Avengers # 3.

Hmm thats curious as its not the best ATOM SA Cover IMO - but the significance of the books may have helped it. I guess we will have to see if any other ATOM covers are further up the line.

Showcase 34 is much-beloved by DC Silver fans, but it's always left me confused-smiley-013.gif I guess the gradations of orange shading are pretty unusual, but for me? sleeping.gif

Add me to the list of those who voted for a handful of the Steranko Nick Furys, and I also excluded #1. 893whatthe.gif

# 25 - MYSTERY IN SPACE 90 - received 34 points in the three way tie, but it had a first and second place vote which pushed it ahead of JIM112.

Burntboy was kind enough to provide some text for it.

1172489-mysteryinspace90.jpg

Penciled by Carmine Infantino and inked by Murphy Anderson - it just didn't get much better than that in the Silver Age.............

per Carmine when speaking about his inspiration for his Adam Strange renderings; "Degas and Modigliani influenced me the most". specifically in reference to the Cover for MIS #90 - "It was a simple idea, but it sure did have an effect on people".

i'm still waiting for Red Hook to send me the framed 11x16 blowup of my Original copy............. grin.gif

nick fury #1 was my ninth place vote and my favorite steranko cover! JIM 112 is a totally great cover and i love the way the hulk is drawn on that cover especially but it didn't quite make my top 10 because i felt the cover was a little too cluttered by all the billboards --still an instant classic! i can't relate to showcase #34 either but i guess DC fans don't have much to choose from here!

Having just slagged on Showcase 34, let me now say that this is the kind of cover that DC actually did well in the Silver Age: to me the sense-of-wonder involved in Adam Strange trying to figure out how to prevent a couple of planets from colliding into each other trumps yet another slugfest with the jolly green giant.

# 24 - TALES TO ASTONISH 29 - received 36 votes.

Jack Kirby could flat out draw some great aliens. 893applaud-thumb.gif

This Cover shows a deadly invasion and the sheer overwhelming number of invaders is uncanny. 893whatthe.gif

One of the favorites of the pre-hero Marvels, this cover was on the newstands at the same time as FF 3.

This is one of my favorite Kirby covers. thumbsup2.gif

1172525-tta29.jpg

# 25 - MYSTERY IN SPACE 90 - received 34 points in the three way tie, but it had a first and second place vote which pushed it ahead of JIM112.

Penciled by Carmine Infantino and inked by Murphy Anderson - it just didn't get much better than that in the Silver Age.............

per Carmine when speaking about his inspiration for his Adam Strange renderings; "Degas and Modigliani influenced me the most". specifically in reference to the Cover for MIS #90 - "It was a simple idea, but it sure did have an effect on people".

i'm still waiting for Red Hook to send me the framed 11x16 blowup of my Original copy............. grin.gif

My favorite MIS cover, often imitated never duplicated....... sumo.gif

Having just slagged on Showcase 34, let me now say that this is the kind of cover that DC actually did well in the Silver Age: to me the sense-of-wonder involved in Adam Strange trying to figure out how to prevent a couple of planets from colliding into each other trumps yet another slugfest with the jolly green giant.

Agree completely. I'm actually not much of a fan of Carmine Infantino's work - i just don't like his drawing style - but this cover is an exception and it was one of the few DCs on my short list. It didn't quite make the Top 10 for me, but it's a great example of what Infantino (imo) did best: lay out a terrific, attention-grabbing image. I think Murphy Anderson's inks on this cover really help smooth over the things about Carmine that i don't like. It's my favorite MIS cover.

Showcase # 34 kept rising up in the polls. Apparently it's a beloved book.

It's one of those books that looks much better in person, in very high grade. The coloring is subtle, but effectively complements the Gil Kane artwork. If I'd only seen a scan, I wouldn't pay as much attention to it.

I know I know. As soon as my new big format printer comes.... and I get my Spidey 18..... devil.gif And this was my number 1 cover in the poll. It's a beaut!

Brad