• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 2 Near Mint Auction?

33 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2175269424&category=32731&rd=1

I'm sure a lot of you have seen this. Has anyone dealt with this guy? There was mention in another thread that this might be the same guy as Barkducksuo? and it sounded like that would not be a good thing. Something about the scan looks weird, can't figure out what though, just looks "off" confused.gif It seems like he has a problem with CGC, he emphasizes CGG. I'm sure Hammer will want to take that up with him grin.gif How dare he sell a raw book, especially one of this magnitude. Anyway, does anyone have any info on this seller?

I don't know how he is or anything..but based on the fact that he opened the book up greater then 45 degrees makes me think he either doesn't know that that hurts the spine of such an old high grade book or he just doesn't care. Basically, when I see someone open the book like that, I pass. smile.gif

Brian

That's a good point. He's stressing the spine. I cringe when I see that kind of stuff. At least the staples are off-set to the back of the book so it's not as bad as if they were off set to the front or even well centered. I can't believe he wouldn't care that he's damaging a $5000 book and he SHOULD know better considering the type of books he's been selling. Hmmm...

There are some very strange things going on in Eugene, Oregon.

Unless it is a remarkable coincidence, this looks like the same

seller who managed to take me for a (n $1,800) ride a few years

back (my only ugly eBay transaction in more than 200 so far).

May be ok, but I'd be extra careful - all the alarm bells are going

off when I see this...

Uh......thanks for the input Pov.

Oohhhh! Even better! I said "Hello" just to make a placer to reply to myself so it wouldn't look like I was addressing anyone in particular because this is one big issue I have. A carefully done scan of interior pages should have NO impact

on the cover. I have taken this VERY high grade (if CGC doesn't make it at LEAST a 9.4 I shall know they hate me)

1945 GREEN MASK Vol 2 #4 (a buy I did from Major Khaos for which I am still apreciative). Now what I have done is made 5 scans. One scan after opening up the book FLAT and putting on the scanner, using my hand to gently keep it in position. Two scans of the spine area before and after opening the book up and scanning it.

I have mixed up the scans of the spines so they are in no particular order. Can anyone tell me which two are the "before" scans and which two are the "after"?

Look here to test yourself!

No foolery here. Genuine legitimate scans.

There are some very strange things going on in Eugene, Oregon.

Unless it is a remarkable coincidence, this looks like the same

seller who managed to take me for a (n $1,800) ride a few years

back (my only ugly eBay transaction in more than 200 so far).

May be ok, but I'd be extra careful - all the alarm bells are going

off when I see this...

Would you mind sharing some particulars? Did you ever get the book(I'm assuming it was a book)? Was it restored, forged file copy? This guy is guaranteeing no restoration, but that's just so many words if he takes your money and runs.

I'll give it a shot!

To quote an episode of Superman tv show with the great George R..."No comment until the time limit is up."

PS - well - there actually IS no time limit but just waiting for more guesses! grin.gif

I'll give it a shot!

Scan 1: after

Scan 2: before

Scan 3: during

Scan 4: before

Scan 5: after

I think that's just your sense of symmetry working there grin.gif

I'd venture a guess, but that's all it would be since I can't see any appreciable difference. But Pov it really depends on where the staples are placed, if they are even a bit to the front of the book it will suffer damage if opened all the way like that.

But Pov it really depends on where the staples are placed, if they are even a bit to the front of the book it will suffer damage if opened all the way like that.

This is a "true WWII" book - only one staple in the middle. The staple is a bit - just a smidgeon - to the fore of the cover - you can discern it by that bit of white in the green just above the red area.

But I shall seek out a double stapled book where the staples are noticeably in front and try this again. If the book suffers - well - a valid point will have been made...and truth (real truth - factual truth) may rule.

Back in a few minutes!

Book was listed VF unrestored. It came back from CGC as App VG - EP (no typos). By that time, seller was long NARU-ed & gone. Doesn't mean that it is the same person, of course. I am sure there are other comics sellers in Eugene than the guy who scammed me and has been delisted from eBay at least 2 times (almost certainly 3 upwards).

Actually, I based my guesses on certain things I saw in each of the scans. Two sets of scans were very similar (if not the same scan) and I guessed which I thought looked more 'before' and which more 'after' (i.e. small differences). I don't think any of these differences would impact the grade, but I did see some differences

-- Joanna

Book was listed VF unrestored. It came back from CGC as App VG - EP (no typos). By that time, seller was long NARU-ed & gone. Doesn't mean that it is the same person, of course. I am sure there are other comics sellers in Eugene than the guy who scammed me and has been delisted from eBay at least 2 times (almost certainly 3 upwards).

Yikes!!! Sorry to hear that. This guy has sold a couple of Barks pieces, one signed. Could be a coincidence but... A couple of board members are on his winners list, maybe they will chime in with how their transactions went.

I'll give it a shot!

Scan 1: after

Scan 2: before

Scan 3: during

Scan 4: before

Scan 5: after

I'd venture a guess, but that's all it would be since I can't see any appreciable difference. But Pov it really depends on where the staples are placed, if they are even a bit to the front of the book it will suffer damage if opened all the way like that.

OK - order for this set is 1) before 2) after 4) before 5) after

Next two sets of scans shall be different! grin.gif