• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whoa!

21 posts in this topic

I have to believe the 2 bidders didn't do their homework and misunderstood the "MAJOR PUBLISHING ONLY PRINTED THREE ISSUES OF THESE SCARCE MAGAZINES". And thought he meant 3 issues of "this" magazine!

www.wrightsoncollector.com

sign-funnypost.gif

You know though...value is ALWAYS in the eye of the beholder. I think that a lot of people misunderstand prices that books go for high amounts. Take your average Joe. Who is a huge Wrightson fan, and has been looking for the nicest copies of Wrightson books for the last 10 years. If that individual comes across a copy of that book, who's to say what his 10 years of searching for that book is worth? Sometimes prices realized on books cannot be rationalized by outside spectators; only the one who is willing to pay what they do for that book knows exactly why they did.

With that, this is quite interesting...Looks like a VERY short supply of submissions above 8.5...Only one to be exact. This copy of WOH 3 had a very common Spine rub. It was a printing process defect. I believe that Jayman or Redraven has a copy they posted on one of these threads without it. And it was a beauty.

1175464-WOH_3_Census.JPG

-bounty

1175464-WOH_3_Census.JPG.c55d7e049edcd8a70dcc9afac7efbb4b.JPG

Went downstairs to eyeball this issue. The rub on the spine actually shows up more in the scan (must be the settings I scanned at) than is apparent to the human eye. My issue also has darker colors than most other issues Ive seen. I know jack about the printing process but Id be curious if the first issues off the press had darker colors and no rub. Would the rub be caused by the mags shifting when in large stacks or an artifact that actually occurred as it was being printed??

webofhorror003.jpg

Is that considered a mag?
It has to be graded under the mag tier by CGC, but it's just an over-sized comic really, not a mag. I think the first 4(?) are over-size.

I have to believe the 2 bidders didn't do their homework and misunderstood the "MAJOR PUBLISHING ONLY PRINTED THREE ISSUES OF THESE SCARCE MAGAZINES". And thought he meant 3 issues of "this" magazine!

www.wrightsoncollector.com

sign-funnypost.gif

You know though...value is ALWAYS in the eye of the beholder. I think that a lot of people misunderstand prices that books go for high amounts. Take your average Joe. Who is a huge Wrightson fan, and has been looking for the nicest copies of Wrightson books for the last 10 years. If that individual comes across a copy of that book, who's to say what his 10 years of searching for that book is worth? Sometimes prices realized on books cannot be rationalized by outside spectators; only the one who is willing to pay what they do for that book knows exactly why they did.

With that, this is quite interesting...Looks like a VERY short supply of submissions above 8.5...Only one to be exact. This copy of WOH 3 had a very common Spine rub. It was a printing process defect. I believe that Jayman or Redraven has a copy they posted on one of these threads without it. And it was a beauty.

1175464-WOH_3_Census.JPG

-bounty

I have one of those 8.5's, and I have a raw copy that blows it away. Maybe it's time to slab and sell. I always knew these would be worth something someday, and someday has arrived... yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Due to the short print run, the independent title factor and the huge cult following the price really isn't that high.

If you think that magazine is at a crazy price, check this out:

Whoa!! Part Deux 893whatthe.gifconfused.gif

You could buy a pretty nice Golden Age book with that money.

Due to the short print run, the independent title factor and the huge cult following the price really isn't that high.

There is no way in hell I would pay $4,600.00+ dollars for that book, regardless of independent title, cult following, print run, ect. screwy.gif

Just MHO.

Here's what $4,600.00 would get you on ebay right now:

All Star #8 CGC 4.0 - 1st Appearance Wonder Woman $5,900.00

BATMAN #1 SPRING 1940 1ST APPEARANCE JOKER, CATWOMAN $4,999.99

Special Edition Comics #1 (1940) CGC 7.0 CAPT. MARVEL $3,895.00

CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #3 CLASSIC RED SKULL Bondage CGC

** UNRESTORED, CGC GRADED, BONDAGE & CLASSIC COVER Rare

$2,999.00

ALL FLASH COMICS #1 FINE CGC 6.0 UNRESTORED $2,999.00

Golden Age U.S.A Comics #1 (CGC 4.5) 1941 Nazi Theme $2,700.00

Collectibles are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Modern variant covers of Batman, Superman etc sell for as much as $800. Hell last year second prints of Batmen was selling for 40-60x what the first print was. There was roughly only 2000 TMNT #1 made, first off just try getting it in high grade as it was a kids comic. There are more then 2000 TMNT collectors out there. I am not saying that a TMNT coppper age book should sell higher then a 1st app of WW but its obvious the there are collectors out there that do. I would rather have the TMNT#1 then the 1st WW however I would never spend that much. I don't like graded items, I buy to read and collect. All the people who buy for investment perposes are whats driving up the prices in the first place.

There is no way in hell I would pay $4,600.00+ dollars for that book, regardless of independent title, cult following, print run, ect. screwy.gif

Just MHO.