• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine #1

20 posts in this topic

As most of you are already aware, the relaunched Wolverine 1 ships this week (saw it on my invoice so it is confirmed).

Any predictions on how this book will do? One of the big factors is that with Marvel's new trade terms, stores had until just two weeks ago to confirm their orders, instead of having to commit back in March. So some stores will have ordered less (figuring they could bump their orders late if they needed to, and then decided they didn't need to). And some stores will have ordered more (trying to outguess the speculators...).

Everybody knew that Origin would be big. And yet, store owners didn't order enough to meet demand and the book took off in price. Everybody knew that Batman 608 was going to be huge (and it was the biggest book of that month in orders), but retailers didn't order enough to meet demand and the book took off in price.

Everybody has to know that a new Wolverine #1 will be big... but will the retailers order enough to meet demand? My orders have been in for three weeks, so I have made my guess... What's yours?

I'm not a dealer, but I have a suspicion because of the success of Origin 1, this comic may have been over-ordered, but can't be sure.

I am not planning on getting it myself.

Is this going to be vol 2 for Wolverine title? If so, it may not be as big of a deal. Remember Deadpool?; They worked in 2 mini series (4 issues of agent of weapon x then 4 (or2?) issues funeral for a freak)while using the double numbering system and it wasn't met too well by buyers/collectors. then the title was changed to Agent X (along with Cable to Soldier X and something else to Weapon X?) - those books not doing too well in the monthly Diamond rankings, probably on the brink of cancellation

My guess is that if this ends up being the beginning of a consistent trend from Marvel in generating revenue from hype-y bullcrap, then I may end up exiting stage right just like I did when they started ripping me off with holocovers I didn't want every few months on the titles I collected.

Why are they restarting this title?!!? It's ticking me off. Just when I think they're learning a lesson about hype by reverting Fantastic Four back to the old numbering scheme, they reset Wolverine, making me think the ONLY reason they're doing it for FF is to cash in on the upcoming 500th issue mark.

** SIGH ** frown.gifmakepoint.gif

Restarting Wolverine again is a silly idea. The first run is already up to 190? or so, so there's no reason for them to do this. It's gimmicky and reminds me of 1992 consumer fleecing. Supposedly..and this is a big _supposedly_ they are going to go in a slightly new direction with Wolverine in this new restarted series. If it's DRASTICALLY better than the old series and the plot is FAR different then it may be justifiable. Until then, i'm treating it as another Marvel shakedown.

Well, if you read Wizard you have already read the entire issue #1...

And if you read Wizard's other publications, the creative team has already said they will not be using ANY previously introduced villains, and will not be involved in any crossovers of any kind for the first 24 issues... No X-Men will appear in the book for a long, long time...

That sounds pretty different to me...

Still don't know if I can get used to Robertson's art... but I loved Transmet, so we will see...

lighthouse:

this book doesn't look too good to me... I passed on this, but I guess I'm not really the target audience as I haven't read Wolverine since the beginning of the first series.

I flipped through it on the shelf and it didn't impress me.

As most of you are already aware, the relaunched Wolverine 1 ships this week (saw it on my invoice so it is confirmed).

To put it bluntly.....relaunching books to start them over with a #1 issue really pisses me off. They couldn't even let the frigging thing hit 200 on the first run before they stepped in to screw it up. Maybe it's better for new collectors and better for business.......but it just ticks me off. mad.gif

Who's the artist? Darick Robertson? Isn't he from the Portland, OR area

Yup. DR is the artist, and probably the only reason I'll check the book out. He lives in NYC now (dunno if he's originally from OR). He's a really nice guy, and I email him occassionally, so I'm pretty excited that he'll be in Philly and I can meet him in person!

I tried to win a slabbed Transmet #1 on eBay the other day so I could have it signed, but I forgot when the auction was ending and missed my chance for a snipe! D'oh! 893frustrated.gif

Chris

I think A LOT of these are going to be produced.

Unfortunately, I read this book yeserday and wasn't real impressed. I thought the current run was turning around a bit as of late. This one's story didn't do much for me and I really disliked the artwork. I thought Wolverine looked like a hairy MAXX more than anything else. I barely recognized him....

Oh well....too bad I'll still end up buying it.... boo.gif

I can't believe they printed the whole book in Wizard. I thought there would some pages in Wolverine #1 that was not in Wizard but there was no extra material at all. 893frustrated.gif

Why? I thought it was a great move on Marvel's part. Get the comic out to those that either dropped Wolverine or might not have read the title previously (though to be honest, I suspect most Wizard readers are well aware of the character). People [!@#%^&^] and moan about publishers not pushing new comics or letting new series' die on the vine before giving them a chance to catch on. Marvel just let all Wizard readers look at their new direction for Wolverine. No teaser, no full page ad or hype, just the entire first issue to sample. Marvel should be applauded and hopefully if successful, we'll see more of this for new series' in the future.

And another related question, is this the first time Wizard has run a complete issue other than the first part of the Legacy storyline X-men issue that started the Age of Apocalypse back in the mid-90s?

Jim

To put it bluntly.....relaunching books to start them over with a #1 issue really pisses me off. They couldn't even let the frigging thing hit 200 on the first run before they stepped in to screw it up. Maybe it's better for new collectors and better for business.......but it just ticks me off. mad.gif

I agree with Bugaboo. I'd prefer more of a sense of tradition in comics, but on the positive side I do see the coolness factor of an 8 year-old being able to get a #1 of something cool besides Machine Man. 893applaud-thumb.gif

im with the bug,i cant stand when they relaunch a title mad.gif they should have kept amaz spiderman the way it was and just started peter parker or one of the other spideys over.im sure they do it just to hype the 1st issue and all but i think it sucks!! 893frustrated.gif

And another related question, is this the first time Wizard has run a complete issue other than the first part of the Legacy storyline X-men issue that started the Age of Apocalypse back in the mid-90s?

Jim

I think they did an avengers issue just a littel while before that.

I agree with Bugaboo. I'd prefer more of a sense of tradition in comics, but on the positive side I do see the coolness factor of an 8 year-old being able to get a #1 of something cool besides Machine Man. 893applaud-thumb.gif

theres no such ting as tradition when theres money to be made

theres no such ting as tradition when theres money to be made

Yep......you just said the magic word.

But still......I remember as a kid not really giving a flying rat fart about getting an issue #1. Sure.....they were cool to think and dream about.......but I was collecting comics just to read and enjoy them. I was completely satisfied by getting the most consecutive issues in a run that I could.......regardless of what number they started with.

For instance......I started collecting Superboy and the Legion of Super-heroes at around issue #225 or so. Then, I was able to enjoy hunting for older back issues to extend my run.......which I eventually completed back to around issue 190 or 200. That was part of the frigging fun. mad.gif

Now-a-days they just start the whole series over at issue #1 and you simply make your regular weekly robotic run to the comic shop and pick them up.......along with the 47 different alternate covers for the same issue. 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

I think Ronny hit a little of the "Marketing" ploy...Thew number 1 factor, alot of new collectors go "1" crazy when starting out, and being able to have a charecter like Wolverine is a "cool" thing, god knows i wish i had the cash for some classic number ones, but don't. I did pick it up, i'm unsure about it at the moment, the story was ok, but i find that some times it takes a few issues to hit the storyline "stride" as it were. We shall see.