• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Were Your Personal Top Ten Picks?

87 posts in this topic

AF 15 is the one cover that would make it into my Top 10 if I voted again. I agree with Tim here 893whatthe.gif I think the key status hurts in the CGC forum, its almost so key as to be passe. But the Image of Spidey literally bursting onto the scene - It doesnt look like Kirby does it? Thats a great point. Criminal in one hand web line in the other, the positioning is so perfect.

acclaim.gif

I added up my points. My weighted total is 229.2, and my total total is 352. So no sheep am I! headbang.gif In fact, for 3 of the books in my top 10, I was apparently the only person who voted for them. Fight the Power! mad.gif

As an off-the-top-of-my-head sort of example, something like the following would (IMHO) put to shame most of the top choices . . .

sw4uu9.jpg

confused.gif

hail.gif

You know, it's not often I see a Silver Age cover I haven't seen before, but I have never seen this. It would have been one of my top picks. No doubt!!!

My only question is, Why didn't anyone nominate it???

I read Nick Fury 3 two weeks ago. It's great.

My FR is probably low but can anyone beat my unweighted score of 731?

SS 4, ASM 50, Avengers 57, Flash 123, Nick Fury 7, HOM 174, GIC 87, SSWS 138, and ASM 72.

Marc

Considering the maximum unweighted score is 1098, 731 may be pretty tough to beat. Even your weighted score might be pretty high, by virtue of having 1 & 2 in order, and also nailing Avengers 57 and Flash 123 in the top 10.

Remind me to hire both you AND Jason for any consumer focus groups. grin.gif

This is one really creepy cover, and its ability to project the sheer size of the creature is pretty effective.

I'd put that in the "I bet all the heros are thinking OMFG!" category.

sw4uu9.jpg

I just found a nice vf copy of this comic on eBay. Can't wait to get it. Here's a better scan I found of it. It's not the one I bought but just the best scan I could find quickly. Apart from the magic marker "M" on the monster, it gives us some more detail. Can't believe I've never seen this cover!!!!!! foreheadslap.gif

1177181-sd22vf.jpg

1177181-sd22vf.jpg.4c3a86d9a6a42ead06ea9ec8a59971bb.jpg

As an off-the-top-of-my-head sort of example, something like the following would (IMHO) put to shame most of the top choices . . .

sw4uu9.jpg

creepy is right. At first, I think the vantage point is from underwater... or a surreal perspective. But now that I look closer, its just off. The creature is standing in shore break....the water has to be no deeper than a foot or two. But if those are hi slegs we are seeing, the water would have to be 40 feet deep 6 feet from shore????

Also, the Sea Devils are up on a cliff or rocks that go down to sea level. So, if we are looking DOWN at the creature, then he is leening WAY BACK in the water for us to see his legs like that.... weird cover, but nicely painted though.

I'm kinda surprised that NF #3 didn't end up on anybody's list. Am I the only one who thinks this is a beautiful cover? confused-smiley-013.gif

1175955-shield3.jpg

I actually brought this issue up in the nominations thread. I couldn't vote for it because I had already used up my 5 nominations, but I asked for somebody else to nominate it! It definitely should have been amongst the covers to choose from.

I think this is the best Steranko cover I ever set eyes on . . .

really.... how conme this wasnt in the contest?? I voted for the Dali cover, but this is sooo much hotter!! We need a do-over on the contest!!

The creature is standing in shore break....the water has to be no deeper than a foot or two. But if those are hi slegs we are seeing, the water would have to be 40 feet deep 6 feet from shore????

...maybe he is kneeling down so his private parts don't show,... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How come Im thinking if that were spideys head in the sky that THIS would be #1...

How come I'm thinking that if Steranko drew that Sea Devils cover, the weird perspective would be hailed as "groundbreaking". 27_laughing.gif

Considering the maximum unweighted score is 1098, 731 may be pretty tough to beat. Even your weighted score might be pretty high, by virtue of having 1 & 2 in order, and also nailing Avengers 57 and Flash 123 in the top 10.

Remind me to hire both you AND Jason for any consumer focus groups. grin.gif

I'm thinking I'm in good shape for highest unweighted. My weighted score is poor though (I had GIC #1 and HOM #2) so I may have to report to Jason in the new dept.!

Marc

How come Im thinking if that were spideys head in the sky that THIS would be #1...

How come I'm thinking that if Steranko drew that Sea Devils cover, the weird perspective would be hailed as "groundbreaking". 27_laughing.gif

You know, for all his flashiness, there were major shortcomings in Steranko's use of anatomy. Take for example this STRANGE TALES cover . . . Look at the way in which the centre of Captain America's back, and neck, is almost in line with the buckle on his waist band . . .

swzkhi.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There are PLENTY of shortcomings in his anatomy. But who says perfect anatomy was what he was striving for all the time? And if that is the measure of an artist, it sure leaves a lot of OTHER greats out of the running too...

I am sure if you sat him down in a life drawing class with a model, or gave him an anatomy drawing "test" from memory he would impress you. Did you know that Leroy Neiman who became famous for his sports themed paint dripped/splattered pieces was an incredibly realistic painter erlier in his career? Same with Mondrian who streamlined his work to "colored boxes" deciding along the way to forget the detail and search for the essential in what he saw...

Anyway, YES Steranko inked quite a few broken legs along the way even on some spectacular covers... what else is new? : )

1st favorite cover (#1) = 10 points: ASM 33 - Finished #16

2nd favorite cover (#2) = 9 points: Avengers 4 - Finished #8

3rd favorite cover (#3) = 8 points: FF 25 - Finished #29

4th favorite cover (#4) = 7 points: X-Men 59 - Finished #49

5th favorite cover (#5) = 6 points: TOS 49 - Finished #43

6th favorite cover (#6) = 5 points: Strange Tales 167 - Finished #39

7th favorite cover (#7) = 4 points: ASM 1 - Finished #50

8th favorite cover (#8) = 3 points: FF 28 - Finished #47

9th favorite cover (#9) = 2 points: FF 3 - Finished #40

10th favorite cover (#10) = 1 points: Strange Tales 120 - Finished #58