• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS # 2 and # 1

51 posts in this topic

got a link?

There hasn't been a thread to my knowledge, and I was agreeing with you that there should be! tongue.gif

Once we have contests for all the eras, then we could pit the top ten from each era against each other. At this point, bronze and silver are done. Once modern, copper, and golden are done, then it could be undertaken. Otherwise, there would be far too many covers involved. Even in Silver Age there were tons of covers (243 nominated) and even covers were still left out that some thought should be inlcuded. Just a thought.

893naughty-thumb.gif Don't even think about leaving out Atomic Age!

flowerred.gif

The Copper Age poll will hopefully be happening very soon... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's going to be a tough one. Although there were many great covers in the SA, the number of exceptional covers in the CA is really mind boggling.

Yeah, you'd think there'd be more than 10 nice ones. poke2.gif

Okay I have to put my two cents in. The Surfer cover is dramatic, two powerful forces about to clash admist the back drop of Asgard and space beyond. Hard to ignore the sheer beauty of Buscema's work as he depicts both characters probably as good as anyone has ever drawn them before or since. As other have put it, the cover just has that "magic" and Buscema's art work is text book perfect when it comes to form and shape.

Does anyone remember picking this up off the newsstand back in the day? I remember how covers like ASM#238 blew me away back in the day, kind of stuns you and freezes in your tracks the first time you lay eyes on it. X-Men #112 and #140 (FF#243 to a slightly lesser degree) had that same gripping effect to me when they first rolled out.

I love FF#55 but I couldn't even see myself putting it in the top 15.

The Copper Age poll will hopefully be happening very soon... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's going to be a tough one. Although there were many great covers in the SA, the number of exceptional covers in the CA is really mind boggling.

Although I plan on voting in the Copper poll, I don't agree that the sheer numbers are mind boggling. Were there lots of great covers, Sure. But this was also the dawn of drek that would double and double on into the 90's.

1178422-obnoxio4.jpg

I realize that I'm stepping on some toes, but let's not crown the Copper Age just yet.

1178422-obnoxio4.jpg.e9977e1f59270704333a5222d038487a.jpg

Instead of FF 55 being the competiton to SS 4, I think a healthier and more competetive argument could be made with FF 72 and SS 4.

And I don't take away from SS 4. It deserves to be # 1, but I absolutely love how FF 72 jumps off the cover. It makes the better Kirby argument than FF55.

Although I plan on voting in the Copper poll, I don't agree that the sheer numbers are mind boggling. Were there lots of great covers, Sure. But this was also the dawn of drek that would double and double on into the 90's.

True, but we're not doing a "worst of" contest, or "which age on average has the best cover" contest. And let's not pretend that all eras didn't have their share of turkeys.

I think based on my own experience buying and reading CAs and some of the covers that have been posted in the CA forum so far, it's clear that at some point in the CA, comic covers evolved from being primarily teasers designed to lure in the reader, into poster/pin up art. Covers became less and less cluttered, to the point that word balloons became non-existent on covers, and artists seemed to be in a contest to outdo each other. Now, you could make an argument that this kind of art for art's sake also helped to kill comics, because a lot of these new artists couldn't tell a story worth a damn and just knew how to draw pretty poses, but if you're not evaluating the contents and just admiring the covers, in my opinion the CA covers really beat out the other eras.

P.S. I don't think that Comet Man cover is so bad. confused-smiley-013.gif

Not an issue. I posted FF55 to emphasize that my top cover list focused on unique or innovative styles as well as beautifully rendered characters, and that for me neither the SS4 nor the FF55 qualify.

There is no need for anyone to take this personally. Obviously the majority view is that SS4 and Bats227 are the most significant covers. Just not for me.

<snip> but if you're not evaluating the contents and just admiring the covers, in my opinion the CA covers really beat out the other eras.

screwy.gif IMNSHO

Don't you have some Airboys to go cross-index somewhere? poke2.gif

<snip> but if you're not evaluating the contents and just admiring the covers, in my opinion the CA covers really beat out the other eras.

screwy.gif IMNSHO

Well ... YES! yay.gif How did you know? Three of them actually and already in the mail. Can't wait for them to get here so I can count how many ad pages there are in them insane.gif

Plus, recall that Airboy does qualify BOTH as GA and CA! I even have most of the CA version 893whatthe.gif

screwy.gif IMNSHO

Well ... YES! yay.gif How did you know? Three of them actually and already in the mail. Can't wait for them to get here so I can count how many ad pages there are in them insane.gif

Plus, recall that Airboy does qualify BOTH as GA and CA! I even have most of the CA version 893whatthe.gif

Some of those CA Airboys had excellent covers. If I recall correctly, it was Tim Truman?