• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Welcome to me and, What is your search strategy?

11 posts in this topic

Been a lurker for a couple of months and have really enjoyed the activity on this board. So, I finally signed up only to find there's no area for self-introductions.

I'm in my mid-30's, family, full-time job in a tech company. My mom moved last year and told me to come and pick up my long boxes (which I completely forgot about). My 5 year old son immediately jumped at them. Since then, I stopped investing in his college fund. Right now, I'm focused on early DC silver age.

Here's a question that's been bugging me: What is your search strategy? When you are looking for a specific issue, how do you go about finding it?

I'm very close to finishing my Barry Allen Flash run (I need 116 and 120). So, I set up an automated search on Ebay and every few days I go check out ComicLink. I also go to a few dealer sites and search their inventory. But, this is time consuming.

What's your strategy? Is there a comic book search engine? Is there a better way to find that elusive book you're searching for?

Welcome and try entering the books you are looking for in the Comic Marketplace threads on the forum. There are a lot of dealers on this forum and if they don't have what you want, they may know where to go to find it. Don't be afraid to "bump" the thread every once in awhile so it doesn't disapear.

You jus might get lucky.

From time to time someone tries to do a website where they aggregate info from dealer sites etc. but those never seem to get anywhere. Also, stock changes too frequently. Posting on the boards here is a good bet as is developing a list of dealers with big inventories who will work with you. Ie, ones that actually practice customer service.

By coincidence, we are working on the Harley Yee catalog and I just finished doing the Flash and came on here to take a break. He should have a copy of 116 in FR and 120 in VG. www.harleyyeecomics.com

By the way, here's our copy. $30 postpaid. Both staples detached but otherwise nicer.

Cheers and welcome to the boards,

Marc

MN3102.gif

Welcome. In time you will learn to navigate through the forum. From what I have already observed most people that post here are here to protect and perpetuate an honest environment where buyers/sellers/enthusiasts can get together to buy/sell and talk about the hobby they love...kind of an anti-ebay.

Since then, I stopped investing in his college fund. Right now, I'm focused on early DC silver age.

I hope you're not saying that you stopped investing in his college fund in order to purchase early DC silver age. I don't think anyone here would say that is a prudent thing to do.

Here's a question that's been bugging me: What is your search strategy? When you are looking for a specific issue, how do you go about finding it?

I'm very close to finishing my Barry Allen Flash run (I need 116 and 120). So, I set up an automated search on Ebay and every few days I go check out ComicLink. I also go to a few dealer sites and search their inventory. But, this is time consuming.

What's your strategy? Is there a comic book search engine? Is there a better way to find that elusive book you're searching for?

I'm an early DC SA collector too, and I can safely say there is no short cut or easy way to do this. Besides eBay and CL, you need to check the various dealers' sites (Metro and PGC have better early SA DC selections that most other dealers) regularly, and Heritage is also very good, in ultra high grade and not so high grade. In fact, I think they've got a Flash 120 coming up in their May Signature Auction. Of course, Heritage are a bit controversial around here, so you may want to do a little search for some of the discussions here about them before deciding whether you want to buy from them.

Networking with other DC collectors is critical, so you can identify who's got what books and let them know what you're looking for. Some of the best parts of my collection came from being in the right place at the right time when another collector was selling down.

Thanks for all the great comments. I'll be exploring the boards some more in the next few days.

Just kidding about the college fund. Although with three kids, that's a big bite every month (I have automatic deduction for that and retirement).

I'm looking to add the two Flash books in VF or better. Thanks for all the offers.

Thinking about the responses to my search strategy question...wouldn't it be great if there was a Google type of search for comics you're looking for? My problem is that when I get an idea for something I want, I spend hours online looking for it. Then again, a little help from online friends probably goes a lot further.

Collect what you like to read or look at for the art work. These boards are awesome for information and to view alot of covers. One problem I have here is I see stuff I like and I end up going to ebay and buying it. I buy too much stuff on impulse and end up with a ton of stuff I don't collect. Write down stuff you like but don't bid or buy until the next day...think it through first. Welcome back to the comic world.

You may get some responses if you put a short want-list in your signature.

I don't really frequent these boards all that often, but have still managed to acquire a few books I wanted because of other board members responding to my signature.

Hope that helps some.