• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Super Hero's Secret Wars

63 posts in this topic

Great point. And you've reminded me, didn't Art Adams do a few assist panels too? Did I read this in Comic Book Artist or maybe Back Issue?

I don't actually recall Art Adams being involved. I will have to check through my copies of the books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, he's not credited but you might be able to pick out his work better than me.

Part of the reason Zeck's work seemed rushed on Secret Wars is that Shooter had him redraw many of the panels and sometimes whole pages. If you ever see original art pages from this series, you'd understand. Many times, shots of characters would be reduced to allow for more dialogue or to make the world seem large and the characters look small. It was Shooter's vision for the series, but it didn't naturally mesh whith Zeck's dramatic style. Zeck had more freedom on the covers, but there are two amazing unpublished covers out there (for issues #6 & 7)that were rejected. Shooter had Layton draw alternate covers which were used. If only Zeck were allowed to draw Secret Wars in his style...

I'm not to intrested in getting SW 2.

Is it worth even trying to buy? Even at $1 a peice?

I think I might get SW 3 which is said to be coming ia the topic in the Modern Comics forum.

I wouldn't waste your money on Secret Wars II, it is terrible. crazy.gif

The only good thing was the Byrne cover for 1.

I hate that Beyonder, don't you? poke2.gif

Zeck did the art - I should know this for sure, but it was Jim Shooter on the story - though sometimes I think its Roy Thomas. I get confused because I think THomas did SW 2 - which is horrible compared to SW1. The Zeck Covers ROCK. cloud9.gif

Actually the art was split between Mike Zeck and Bob Layton. The deadline on the series was so tight that Zeck couldn't get all the pages done on time, so BL was drafted in to help out. Unfortunately a lot of Zeck's interior art looks a little rushed, presumably as a result of the tight turn-around time. As jbud says though, his covers were amazing. thumbsup2.gif

My personal favourite is the Dr. Doom cover to #10. That one has to be a lock for the top ten Copper Age covers. cloud9.gif

I like the cover for 1 and 4.

01bobsw4.jpg

The Hulk's strength is supposed to top out at a little over 100 tons, give-or-take a bit depending on how angry he is.

I find the change from 100 tons to 150,000,000,000 tons a little too extreme for my taste.

tongue.gif

If I had to carry all that weight, I'd be pretty angry! Why can't She-Hulk help him out instead of just hanging out over the semi-naked dude. See, even in comics the men do have to to do all the manual labor. <---that was a joke.

01bobsw4.jpg

The Hulk's strength is supposed to top out at a little over 100 tons, give-or-take a bit depending on how angry he is.

I find the change from 100 tons to 150,000,000,000 tons a little too extreme for my taste.

tongue.gif

If you read the book....you'd know that Banner wasn't lifting the mountain...just bracing the pocket that IM carved out for them. poke2.gif

01bobsw4.jpg

tongue.gif

If you read the book....you'd know that Banner wasn't lifting the mountain...just bracing the pocket that IM carved out for them. poke2.gif

Yeah, and that the "semi-naked dude" is Ben Grimm! poke2.gif

Ah Ben Grimm, forgot about that. Still. I bet the Hulk is even more angry for having Ben Grimm sprawled out on the ground like some 15th century forest-nymph painting. Poor Hulk.