• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Intriguing Definitional Changes In New 2006 Overstreet Guide

264 posts in this topic

OK, understand me that I'm certainly not trying to belittle the importance of the grading definitions. I worked on the Grading Guide, for heaven's sake. But let me see if I have this right:

You're implying that the Price Guide would have suffered significantly in sales this year if people (most of whom are regular buyers of the Guide every year or at least every few years) knew in advance that the two or three pages of grading definitions that have appeared in every single Guide and in their current form in several previous editions, the Grading Guide, and all over the web on countless websites that reprint them without permission and a few that do, were missing from this one edition. Over a thousand pages of pricing and historical info, but that would have sunk the book.

Are we all actually living in the same universe here? smile.gif

Just noting that lack of information is not always a good thing. Not everyone knows that the information is everywhere else. You know what, I better check this thread to see if the information has been plagarized and posted here. makepoint.gif

Very easy to answer those actually.

1) I don't work for Gemstone anymore, I did not work on this edition of the Guide, I have no knowledge of the situation, and it's not my place to comment on it.

2) See answer to #1.

Arnold...this is the reason you catch so much flak around here recently. You make a statement or question concerning OS using the credentials of a former employee as back-up then duck the a follow-up question by using the "I don't work there anymore" excuse. You can't have it both ways...

Jim

I think Tom can read the posts well enough. It'll be OK. smile.gif

Besides, with my role at the museum, I figured I still had a lot to offer the forum, and with my experience on the Guide, there's still a lot I can talk about in the big world of comics. Or are you trying to show me the door? laugh.gif

No please hang around.

I was just explaining why you were all of a sudden having to field questions.

And since you are here, would you like to sign my petition to have the grading definitions RESTORED in future editions . flowerred.gif

Did you have an answer on that or did you want to skip it and instead answer a hypothetical sales question about living on different planets? flowerred.gif (must...... continue to .....hold these ......flowers)

My opinion, this was the worst. Too much non comic related junk. No new comic finds. A lot of the "same old same old". Lack of info. Stupid comic panel explainations of ages. I don't think it was worth getting. Especially if you have last years. Nothing really new.

awe4one, I can have it both ways in fact. I can't speak to anything I wasn't a part of and it would be inappropriate of me to speculate, but I certainly can speak to things I *was* a part of and offer my experience when it's relevant to the situation. I don't see those as mutually exclusive situations.

Tom gave the official Gemstone response on the issue. That worked for me even if it didn't for others. Tom's a great guy, dedicated to what he does, and works under pressure that I know all too well. He's a straight shooter.

awe4one, I can have it both ways in fact. I can't speak to anything I wasn't a part of and it would be inappropriate of me to speculate, but I certainly can speak to things I *was* a part of and offer my experience when it's relevant to the situation. I don't see those as mutually exclusive situations.

Tom gave the official Gemstone response on the issue. That worked for me even if it didn't for others. Tom's a great guy, dedicated to what he does, and works under pressure that I know all too well. He's a straight shooter.

I wouldn't comment unless I was willing to follow-up. You obviously aren't in that position so why start the dialogue unless you're willing to take the follow-up questions? Leave that to those that know or be willing to tackle the tough questions when asked. What you're adding to the discussion, while valuable from a historical perspective, doesn't answer the current questions posed here that are evidently outside your purview as a Gemstone employee...

Jim

You're implying that the Price Guide would have suffered significantly in sales this year if people (most of whom are regular buyers of the Guide every year or at least every few years) knew in advance that the two or three pages of grading definitions that have appeared in every single Guide and in their current form in several previous editions, the Grading Guide, and all over the web on countless websites that reprint them without permission and a few that do, were missing from this one edition. Over a thousand pages of pricing and historical info, but that would have sunk the book.

Hi friend,

But those two or three pages are the key to understanding the thousand pages of pricing structures that follow, right?...which makes it all the more baffling why they were omitted. confused.gif I still don't quite understand why they were dropped. Obviously for most of the people on this board, it's not the end of the world, but surely you can understand that it's a puzzling and inconvenient decision for the average collector.

So I'm not allowed to take part in a conversation unless I'm directly involved. So why are all of you here? laugh.gif

I'm joking, people! Really!

No...discuss all you want but don't bring up "why they may have done this?" when obviously you don't know...you are still seen as having the inside scoop, like it or not.

If you talk about these issues don't expect a "I don't work there anymore" excuse to hold much value to your explanations. It's a no win situation for you and, frankly, one you shouldn't enter unless you have the knowledge to follow-up...

Your name is still shown as yellow and a person who should know the answers. Regardless of whether you like it, that in itself gives you certain status on this Forum. If it's not applicable, ask CGC to remove it and be like all the other collectors seeking answers here...

Jim

I'm not seeking any answers, I'm fine.

I honestly don't recall bringing up the question of "why they may have done this." Since it's not my place to comment on what's going on now, I don't recall why I would have invited those very questions. Maybe something I said was misread? In any event, I'll be going now.

I'm not seeking any answers, I'm fine.

I honestly don't recall bringing up the question of "why they may have done this." Since it's not my place to comment on what's going on now, I don't recall why I would have invited those very questions. Maybe something I said was misread? In any event, I'll be going now.

Doctor Arnold. Point blank question so you won't think it's ramblings.

Do you support the Reinstatement of the grading definitions?

flowerred.gif

Point blank answer: From my personal point of view, It's nice to have all the basic, relevant info in the Guide where everyone from kids to adults, casual collectors to seasoned pros, can get to it as an easy reference, but frankly, I also don't see much problem with lots of that info being available on the web these days when we're all pretty much on here all the time and have access to tons of information.

There's the Grading Guide obviously, but it's hardly like the lack of info in one place forces people to buy a special book, since that basic info is also, as I said before, available in *lots* of other places online whether it was appropriate to copy it or not.

Is there a clear reason for it to be in the Price Guide? Sure. Do I think the Earth has shifted in its axis because it's not in there for one edition? No. Will they put it back in if it bothers so many people so much? Gemstone has always been much more open, interested and reactive to feedback than the collecting community tends to credit, so they always hear people.

Totally 100% personally? I don't collect comics myself any more so it's not an issue for me, and even when I did, I never thought about grade beyond "Well, this one looks nice, I'll take it." I was never what you might call a power collector. I just wanted to read them.

Point blank answer: From my personal point of view, It's nice to have all the basic, relevant info in the Guide where everyone from kids to adults, casual collectors to seasoned pros, can get to it as an easy reference, but frankly, I also don't see much problem with lots of that info being available on the web these days when we're all pretty much on here all the time and have access to tons of information.

There's the Grading Guide obviously, but it's hardly like the lack of info in one place forces people to buy a special book, since that basic info is also, as I said before, available in *lots* of other places online whether it was appropriate to copy it or not.

Is there a clear reason for it to be in the Price Guide? Sure. Do I think the Earth has shifted in its axis because it's not in there for one edition? No. Will they put it back in if it bothers so many people so much? Gemstone has always been much more open, interested and reactive to feedback than the collecting community tends to credit, so they always hear people.

Totally 100% personally? I don't collect comics myself any more so it's not an issue for me, and even when I did, I never thought about grade beyond "Well, this one looks nice, I'll take it." I was never what you might call a power collector. I just wanted to read them.

I thought you were going to take my advice yesterday.I dont understand why you feel the need to have to explain yourself?

I think what you are doing by constantly responding to this is making you look foolish at this point.

You tried to help it didnt work so why not walk away?

Now that's an answer! Keep it up...

Jim

Thanks ronm3, but I wasn't going to refuse to respond to a very nicely put direct question to me personally. I don't think it's foolish at all. I think it respects the other poster by not ignoring them, which I don't feel comfortable doing.

Anyway, this is indeed the limit to which I can contribute to this conversation, and unless someone has anything else they'd like to ask me specifically (which you can do by PM or elsewhere too), then I'll sign off this thread. Muddying waters and all that.

Maybe I won't be buying a guide this year after all. I think I can wait and see if everything is restored and correct for next year's edition.

I'm not buying it this year (first time in six years), but I can come up with several better reasons then this.