• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Intriguing Definitional Changes In New 2006 Overstreet Guide

264 posts in this topic

Maybe I won't be buying a guide this year after all. I think I can wait and see if everything is restored and correct for next year's edition.

I'm not buying it this year (first time in six years), but I can come up with several better reasons then this.

Well, shoot away then. I've never bought one before and was planning on making this the first year of doing so. I really wouldn't be using it until mid to late August anyway, so it wouldn't kill me to hold off until next year's issue where they may correct the restoration definitions and possibly put the grading section back in.

What's your reason(s)?

Ok, if you have never owned a copy then go buy it. I don't think you'll find a better single source of information about comic books anywhere. That being said, the information doesn’t change much from year to year so starting this year I'm only going to buy it every few years. That would be the major reason I'm not buying it. Other reasons are:

1. The values assigned to books are basically meaningless to me. I buy and sell mostly on the internet and I can't even remember the last time I thought "I wonder what guide price is for this book?" Guide price is irrelevant. In an auction environment a book sells for the highest bid, not guide price.

2. The majority of what's been added to the guide in the recent past is meaningless to me. Big Little Books and Platinum Age books for example.

3. The market reports are not only wishful thinking, but more closely resemble hucksterism. They cater to "a sucker being born every second".

4. People still advertise in print? I can't even remember the last time I saw a print add and was motivated to spend money with the advertiser.

There are more reasons, but those would be the main ones.

You just outlined why I hadn't ever bought it before. I tend to collect 9.8 slabs and also do my purchasing via the internet, so the values in the guide have meant very little to me.

One of the other reason's I was thinking about it, was that I heard the Kansas City Comic con may take place after I get back home and I thought it would be good to have as I was thinking of going after some nice raw books there (something I haven't done in a few years). At this point though, I don't know the status of the event, so I may not need it until next year.

Good reasons, and I can certainly relate. thumbsup2.gif